Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long can he go without eating??

Thanks

Default How long can he go without eating??

As I've mentioned before, Elmer is my first crestie. He's about 2 years old, and before I got him was fed dusted crickets and mashed up fruit.

To recap, when I first got him, I tried the CGD for 2-3 days. I got him to lick a little off of his lips and a spoon, but after that he didn't touch it. I panicked about him starving, and ended up feeding him some mashed up peaches and a couple of crickets.

However, I'd really like to make the transition to CGD. I put some more in his enclosure yesterday. Again, he's not touching it. Many people have said not to give a crested anything (no crickets, etc.) until you're sure it is eating the CGD. But I don't want to starve him! How long is too long for him to go without eating any of it??

Thanks.

Thanks

I once had a gecko go for two entire weeks... let me tell you, it was extremely hard to wait her out that long, but it was worth it. Now she chows down on her CGD like nothing is better.
    .. Familiar Exotics .. and related Blog ..

*** 7.16.10 Cresties *** 4.5 Gargs *** 1.0 Ibera Greek Tortoise *** 0.1 Rubber Boa *** 0.2.1.2 Mourning Geckos *** 2.1.3 E. agricolae *** 1.2.2.7 L. williamsi *** 1.1 C. sarasinorum ***

Thanks

when switching over, many geckos will eat *the bare minimum* hoping for more of their old stuff to come around. be strong, i have yet to hear of a gecko starving themselves to death switching over. i had a guy pull this stunt on me for a solid month. yes he dropped a little weight during that time, and eats like a champ now.
    -jULIE-
    forget zoo, i'm feeding a small army
    Black Ink Reptiles

Thanks

I have exactly the same problem atm.... I've had two since last wednesday, the first 3 nights i gave them dusted crickets, which they loved! The cap of cgd tho wasn't touched... The last two nights i've not bothered with crickets... As its essential i get them on cgd.... First night they haven't touched it, so last night i mixed a bit of apple and banana baby food with it, which they don't really seem interested in... Altho... I put a few dollops of just the baby food on some leaves near thier caps... One of them had a little bit. It is really hard waiting for them to start eating cgd... But i know its best just to wait it out

Thanks

With the ones we got who never had eaten CGD, we introduced it as food to them by syringing some along their lips until they licked it. Now we have one who eats it like a champ, and three that we're still waiting out the battle to see what wins first: their wants or their needs.
    ~Rami | Nova Reptiles | iHerp | Facebook
    7.17.6.7 Crested geckos, 1.1 mix leachies, 1.1 Halmaheras, 1.1 African Fat Tails, 1.2 Tokays, 1.1 Oedura castelnaui, 2.1 Leopard geckos, 0.1 corn snake, & too many feeder bugs.

Thanks

I had this problem with a female last year. I got her at 13 grams, she was being fed baby food. I switched her over to CGD and at that time I was not feeding juvies crickets, just CGD. The lowest she ever went was 10 grams, but for a 13 gram gecko, its noticeable to loose 3 grams. After a while, she started to eat the CGD and I now feed ALL of my geckos dusted crickets weekly and she is now 20 grams. Your gecko should come around, and as stated above, they will not starve themselves.

Good luck,
    -Armen

Thanks

Default No evidence

Frequently you may think that your gecko isn't eating anything, but in truth they are. They can take a lick or two of CGD, and have a full belly, and you won't see anything missing from the dish. One of my geckos I would think never eats her CGD by looking at her dish. It always looks completely untouched. But she's growing, and pooping, so I know she's eating.

I agree with others here, don't give any fruit or bugs or anything but CGD. The gecko will eat it, it won't starve itself.

If you're really worried, hand feed by putting some on its nose and let it lick it off. That way you know something is making it into the gecko.

Another point is that a gecko may eat a lot more babyfood, fruit, or insects because they actually get less out of them. They only need to eat a little bit of CGD in order to get everything they need. They may be trying to eat more to get what they are nutritionally lacking, which they never really can with these other foods. But eating just a little bit of something so complete as CGD may satisfy their cravings.

Also - leave the CGD in there for 2 nights, and replace it the third. Many cresties out there may not eat much the first night, when the CGD is fresh, but eat a lot more the second night, when it's been sitting a little while. Don't replace it every day. Most often I can't see any lick marks or evidence the CGD has been eaten after the first night, but the second night the food has definitely been chowed on.
    ~Jenni
    6.8.3.13 Crested Geckos ~ 0.0.2 Gargoyle Geckos ~ 2.3.0 Columbian Boas (1 albino, 1 pastel, 2 aberrant, 1 rescue) ~ 0.3.0 Dogs (2 rescue) ~ 1.2.0 Cats (2 rescue) ~ 1.0.0 Extremely Patient Husband

Thanks

Don't worry if you don't immediately see poop. It took over 2 weeks for Hiyori to eat the CGD - and now that he's eating, I still can't see lick marks in his dish. Keep offering the CGD as CreepyCrawly suggested. Just make sure that it's not dried up and hard when you change it. If it is, you will need to change it more frequently.

Try to resist the urge to offer crickets and/or baby food, and if you've been handling your gecko, I would suggest leave him alone until you see a lot of poop in his terrarium. Additional stress can keep them from eating.

Good luck!
    1.1 Lampropeltis getula (Caldera, Zorro), 1.1 Crested gecko (Hiyori & Sundae), 0.1 Western hognose snake (Hinamori Momo), 1.0 African house snake (Kensei), 0.0.1 Amazon tree boa (Kon)

Thanks

Piper hasn't been eating lately. I'd say for 4-5 days now. No eating, no pooping. Paige is chowing down and certainly leaving LOTS of poops. Piper's a bit on the shy side but once I get her out of her tank she loves to run up and sit on my shoulder. Should I try hand-feeding her? She seems plenty happy and still chubby.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lbarak View Post
    Piper hasn't been eating lately. I'd say for 4-5 days now. No eating, no pooping. Paige is chowing down and certainly leaving LOTS of poops. Piper's a bit on the shy side but once I get her out of her tank she loves to run up and sit on my shoulder. Should I try hand-feeding her? She seems plenty happy and still chubby.

Check for eggers in the next day or 2!
    0.2.0 Crested Geckos-Cornelius:aka Doodles, Sweetums, Little Miss and Nibbler:aka BooBoo, Miss Boo and SqueakaBoo
    1.0.0 FBT-Spartacus

1.1.0 Humans-Oscar Roland and Alice Scarlett