Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hemipenes that did not drop right.

Thanks

Default Hemipenes that did not drop right.

I rescued this goober from a pet store but now I am wondering if I can help him out some. It appears his hemipenes did not drop properly. They seem to be up and down instead of side by side at the base of the tail. It looks painful and swollen.
    I will work on getting a picture up soon. My question is will a vet remove the hemipenes to fix the problem? I have this one any one other that I got with this gal going to the vet this Monday to be checked out and I was just trying to figure out what to maybe expect.

Thanks

Here is a picture of the guy. Can geckos get hernias? He pushed out one of his hemipenes last night and was licking it but man it looked painful when he did it.

Thanks

That looks really weird... I don't know if it looks like the hemipenes or not... almost looks like an abscess. Strange. I have no clue what to tell you. Let us know what the vet says.
    12.15.4.5 Crested geckos; 1.1 Gargoyle geckos; 1.1 Leopard geckos; 1.1 Fat-tailed geckos; 2.0 Viper geckos; 1.0 male dwarf rabbit; lots of fish

Thanks

Ya I am not really sure if it is the hemipenes but I figured because they were not in the usual configuration that it was maybe the issue. Hopefully the vet can shed some light on what is going on.

Thanks

Yikes, I hope they can get whatever it is fixed. Looks painful!
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

I hope so too! I could not just let him stay there but I bet it ends up costing me. Who cares though I just hope I can help.

Thanks

Wow that doesn't look right at all, I'm assuming this gecko has pores so it's a for sure male? I doubt those are hemipenes but who know with this one. Possible infection? This is tough for me to call.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dman2047 View Post
    Wow that doesn't look right at all, I'm assuming this gecko has pores so it's a for sure male? I doubt those are hemipenes but who know with this one. Possible infection? This is tough for me to call.
    It is a male for sure he had one out licking it last night as I mentioned above.

Thanks

Damn, I missed that part. I hope the lil guy will be alright.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Talkenlate04 View Post
    It is a male for sure he had one out licking it last night as I mentioned above.
    Well, just be sure about the maleness and check for pores - at that size they could be visible.

What you are seeing the gecko "pop" might not be hemipenes but its rectum or maybe other inside parts... I had a male gecko that had a rectal prolapse (no known cause, no blockages found - he may just be getting old). The thing that came out looked pretty similar to a hemipenis so I thought it was a hemipenile prolapse until the vet started maneuvering it back in and poop came out :s