Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner Snake,

Thanks

Default Beginner Snake,

Alright I know this has been asked many times, but hear me out, I need a snake that 1. Dosent get to large of course. 3-4 feet ; 2. Calm & Docile snake, 3. this may sound stupid but a snake that dosent look to tormenting, I am already having trouble convincing a mom , about snakes so >,< trust me Ive tried everything from , Making a power point & to Finding a experienced snake owner for 30 years to try to talk to my mom, and we are still in the moment of ! everything is coming from my wallet , so iam just kind of on the verge of pulling my hair out.. ,

but then again she is my mom , and I love her for either decision she makes, because she did put a roof over my head & fed me & gave the great care for me,

Thanks

Have you looked into rosy boas? Mexican rosies are -really- pretty!

Thanks

Actually I did look into rosy's for about a week, but there price is a little too expensive, they range from $100-$120 =/ which I forgot to mention I am in a really tight budget, Like I said , all the money is coming from my wallet :O

Thanks

I don't own any snakes..but I know sand boas don't get huge, but they get fat. I think they're cute little snakes and I've seen them for not a ton of money by me.. hope this helps!!
    0.1.0 Crested Gecko (Beowulf)
    1.1.0 Gargoyle Geckos (Craven and Poe)
    0.1.0 Cat (Natalie)

Thanks

I have a Western Hognose. If you get a male, they max out at less than 2 feet long and are fairly docile in temperament. They have an adorable little turned up nose that even my mother thinks is cute. Mine is in a very simple 10g setup that all in all probably cost me about $115 (including the snake). Just make sure you get one that is eating f/t mice and you'll be set. I've heard that they can be picky eaters but I have never had an issue with my little guy.
    4.2.8.6 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Western Hognose
    1.2 French Bulldogs
    1.0 Belgian Malinios-rescued

Thanks

I would say a corn snake would be a good beginner snake, a corn was mine and I still have her

You can get corns pretty cheap I've seen them at $25- $75 plus. Their pretty calm. They come in lots of colours and morphs, not to big.
    Crested Geckos: 1.1.5
    Gargoyle Gecko: 0.0.1
    3 eggs a'cooking in the incubator

Thanks

Corn snake all the way.
    Rosario's Reptiles: Project Creamy Things...target 2012 season
    3.8 Ciliatus, 1.2 Guttata, and 1.2 Felis Catus.

Thanks

another vote for the Rosy Boa or Western Hognose. corn snakes are medium sized, i have seen plenty at 5'.
    both the Rosy Boa & Western Hognose stay small and can live in 10 gallon tanks their entire life. i also think the faces on both are so different then a corn or python that even people who don't like snakes find them nonthreatening. i think the hognose is downright cute, but to each his own.
    -jULIE-
    forget zoo, i'm feeding a small army
    Black Ink Reptiles

Thanks

I would say Corn Snake. I know a lot of Hognose snakes that do not like to be held.

You think 5 foot and you think big snake- but a full grown corn snake is hardly ever "intimidating". They're very slender, so 4-5 feet isnt really a huge deal. Most do average 4 ft.

Thanks

Heh. My dad is kiiiinda terrified of snakes. He tells everyone he just doesn't like them, but his eyes get huge when he sees one and it's pretty obvious he'd pee all over himself if one touched him. He saw me holding an adult corn a few years ago and I thought he was going to pass out. To us, a 4' snake is no big deal. To someone who's afraid of or intimidated by snakes, a full-grown corn can look like a huge monster. How old are you, Jaspa? Are you going to be moving out in a couple years? A two or three year old corn snake is still pretty small.. Is she afraid of snakes, or just not a fan of them?

Ooh, how about an african house snake or a garter? They're teensy! And cheap! Albino checkered garters are reeeeallly pretty. I saw one on craigslist for $35 a few months ago.