Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leo hatchling-curved spine?

Thanks

Default Leo hatchling-curved spine?

Hello all,

I have had some problems with this breeding. My female has laid 4 cluthes-8 eggs total. The first 2 clutches developed partly then never hatched. Once opened I found a ~5mm leo developing. I guess they stopped midway? The 4th clutch collapsed and molded and didn't seem fertile once candled. The 3rd clutch I continued to incubate but didn't have high hopes. This morning I checked on them and to my surprise found two babies.

One looks normal the other has an odd 'C' shape to the spine. Am I right in saying I'm having some genetic issues here? Has anyone ever had this spine issue in a hatchling? I'm wondering if this little guy is going to make it. Any advice would be very welcomed. I've never had so many problems with leo breeding.

Thanks

i know little about ginetics but it sounds like it could be

what temp are you incubating at?

are you sure the incubator isnt malfunctioning?

do you have any pics of the little guy with the spine problems? is he acting ok other than the spine problem?
    2.0.0 bearded dragons,1.0.0 bts,0.4.0 leopard geckos
    1.0.1 whites tree frogs,0.1.0 tokay, 1.2.0 crested geckos and many other feather and fur kids

Thanks

Yes actually I just took some pics. I also noticed one eye is slightly smaller than the other...I'm totally thinking it's genetic. *sigh* I''d like to know if anyone else has had this problem and what the chances of this little guy making are. The incubator temp was at 81-83. The incubator has been used another time before for ball python eggs and that was successful. I have two thermometers going and they read the same. He seems to be ok--besides a little less active than the other and his weird side ways walk.

Thanks

How awful The poor little thing...

This is going to seem really morbid, and people may disagree with me, but I honestly wouldn't try to make him suffer with that kind of condition. As he grows he might have more things wrong with him The first thing that came to mind when I looked at him was "snake food".

Are there two toes on his left hind leg merged together into one big toe..?
    I gave my geckos up... but I want to come back :c

Thanks

I don't know much about Gecko gentics, but I'm so sorry to hear about your lil one I'd be willing to take him if you want to adopt him out in the future
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

Yes I wince everytime I see him. Poor guy. I don't think I can make him snake food. I feel like I'm responsible in giving him the best care possible--snake food isn't an option at the moment. He acts normal..just moves slower so I don't see any obvious signs of distress.

I didn't even notice that big toe until you mentioned it! I checked up on him and there are definitely two toes there that are together. I'm not sure if they are permanently together or just held together by egg goo. I don't want to poke at him too much so I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for pointing it out. I was distracted by the other obvious features.

Thanks

Hey, have you posted this over on Geckoforums.net? Thats a really good leo forum, and there are tons of helpful people that understand leo genetics a whole lot better than me, for sure.
    The only other thing I can think of is, mum didn't have enough calcium stores in her to make healthy hatchlings. Was it her first season? What do you feed the parents? How much did mum weigh before you bred?
    How are you weighing environmental factors vs. the genetic factors? Are the parent geckos directly related?
    So sorry about the little guy, he's sort of cute though, you could name it Igor?
    Does it eat? Can it hunt?
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Unhappy

What a shame you are faced with such a dilemma.

I would worry not only with eating but comfort. If he would always have to walk so far up on his legs and be so hunched, I would guess that has to be uncomfortable.
    Keep us updated on this little one. I like the name Igor!

Thanks

The first thing I thought about was "Is this the female's first season?"

See, I have a GORGEOUS SHTCTB that I was trying to breed a few months ago. She's under a year old. She hasn't laid a single egg for me yet, and I'm kind of glad.
    After all I've heard about egg development and hatchling development and infertile eggs in first year breeding female leos, I'm glad she hasn't laid for me.

If it's her first year breeding, this could be the problem.

What morphs are the leos?

I'm so sorry you are having a hard breeding season.

Thanks

hmm i agree go over on geckoforums.net

i like the name igor for him though and think he is too cute id also be willing to take him if needed

is he catching any food? anyway you could upload a video of him?
    2.0.0 bearded dragons,1.0.0 bts,0.4.0 leopard geckos
    1.0.1 whites tree frogs,0.1.0 tokay, 1.2.0 crested geckos and many other feather and fur kids