Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MBD a quick reference.

Thanks

What is the treatment for this terrible disease and can the Gecko survive from it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fresno View Post
    What is the treatment for this terrible disease and can the Gecko survive from it?
    Treatment is giving extra calcium and maybe UVB light, it depends on how severe it is. Really sick cresteds would probably need to be hand fed.

Prevention is just providing them with a proper diet (such as CGD or CGD with dusted crickets). Be sure to give egg laying females extra calcium to help prevent MBD.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fresno View Post
    My female recently laid 3 eggs and I noticed this morning which seems like she may have MBD. I have been giving her water through out the day and trying to hand feed her some CGD and calcium, what else can I do, I removed her from her cage and put her in a smaller critter keeper so I can keep an eye on her, I am worried about her as she has been loopy all day and her legs have been twitchy on and off also. Please help.
    I just noticed this, after reading the thread about vit. D toxicity. This post is several months old but they say they are feeding CGD and dusted crickets. Could lethargy ("loopy"?) and leg twitching be an indication of vit. D toxicity? So if they are using calcium with D, then more of the same would be bad.

(just for future reference.)

Thanks

Here's another case of MBD. Olivia was fed worms and baby food before coming to live with me. These pictures have been posted to this forum in other threads, but I'd like to add them here to add just a little to this thread's showing of what a poor diet can do to a crestie.

Boston Terrier 1.0, Stetson R.I.P. 8/15/2015.
    Rough Collie (rescued) 1.0, Teddy
    Crested Geckos 9.11.12
    Pine Isle Chahoua 1.0.1 Hunter, Cami
    Leopard Geckos 1.2 Confetti, Snowdrop, & Beauty
    Bearded Dragon 1.0 Jayden

Thanks

I just got this girl about 2 weeks ago. The picture is when i first got her and I have posted it in another thread as well, but it really pertains to this thread. I'm treating her with a UVB lamp and extra calcium mixed into her repashy. I hand feed her daily

Note the swollen limbs and jaw, abnormal holding of her head, severe emaciation, and just poor body condition in general..
    ~ S a m a n t h a ~

Cresties, Gargoyles, Chahoua
    & a Labrador Retriever

Thanks

I got some good pictures of my little Noumea tonight that show her MBD-related deformities. Though her case isn't nearly as severe as some of the other geckos pictured here, she also hasn't hit sexual maturity yet, and I'm a bit worried about her ability to produce and lay eggs without it taking too big a toll on her health... I'm currently feeding her regular CGD mixed in with some SuperCal HyD formula plus one drop of liquid calcium glubianate. I plan to get her into the vet later this year for an updated x-ray to see if there's been any change in her bones.

Full shot- doesn't look too bad at a quick glance...

Till you start looking more closely. Her hips and tail are pretty deformed

She almost always sits with a hunched back like this

You can sort of see the deformed wrist bones in her foreleg- it's very lumpy. IDK if the bone is just misshapen or if it broke at some point and then healed incorrectly?

Her FTS

And her crooked spine

I keep her in a low tank (this is a 10gal) to reduce the risk of broken bones. Her muscle tone and coordination are pretty poor. Once she outgrows this tank I'll probably upgrade her to a 20L aquarium, still turned this way to keep it low to the ground. She spends most of her time on the ground rather than climbing anyways, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks

Devin is a leopard gecko but I thought I would show you pictures of her mbd. She does have a pretty severe case I believe. Im hoping to take her into work tomorrow an take some x-rays(I work at a small animal practice) and then off to a reptile vet.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks

heres an old x-ray i have of sandy from when i took her to the vet back when i first got her. vet said that she had a slight case of MBD that shows in the slightly swollen arms and the bones are pretty faint in colour compared to what they should look. the man who had her before me was feeding un dusted crickets and left CGD in the tank sometimes... i doubt she ate much of that if there was always yummy crickets available

p.s. the calcium sacs are nice and full because i was lacing her CGD with a lot of calcium for a few weeks before we saw the vet

last year she laid her first few clutches of duds that caused some minor issues like a wavy tail but other than that she's doing wonderfull now & eats just plain CGD with nothing added
    0.1 R. Ciliatus- Sandy
    1.0 R. Leachianus- Sativa (Nuu Ami)
    1.0 DLH Cat- Diesel
    0.1 Nova Scotia Duck Toller (Coming home soon)

Thanks

Here's quasimodo.. got him about and month ago and he's got a real bad case of MBD. He licks calcium powder out of a bottle cap and eats like a little piggy. he's put on about 2gs since I brought him home so I think he's doing pretty good in my care
    Name:  IMG_20130317_143231.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  81.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_20130205_184540.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  85.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_20130203_085451.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  84.0 KB
    2.5.4 Crested Geckos
    Studmuffin, Quasimodo, Esmerelda, Fia, Lil Nugget, HoneyDew, Charlene, Artemis (baby#1), Zero, Hades, unnamed
    0.2.0 Kitties
    Stella & Celeste
    1.1.0 Dogs Lotus & MaryJane

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by munchi View Post
    Here's quasimodo.. got him about and month ago and he's got a real bad case of MBD. He licks calcium powder out of a bottle cap and eats like a little piggy. he's put on about 2gs since I brought him home so I think he's doing pretty good in my care
    Name:  IMG_20130317_143231.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  81.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_20130205_184540.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  85.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_20130203_085451.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  84.0 KB
    OMG...that's really all I can say. I have never seen such a horrible case of MBD. Poor little thing, I can't even bare to look at the photos a second time. Bless you, Munchi, for taking him on. Good luck with his care...does he act as though he is in pain?
    Correlophus ciliatus
    Eublepharis macularius
    Dendrobates azureus
    Aspidites ramsayi