Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MBD a quick reference.

Thanks

SnakeKeeper-

Welcome to the family of MBD reptile parents...it's hard work, but when it gives our beloved babies better health and more years, it's worth it!!!

I'm glad that Budo's doing well. He's such a handsome guy!!!

+++++

THIS is the difference between people who are only in it for the money, and those of us who truly LOVE our scaly kids!!!

This is what it's all about.

Loving them in spite of what's wrong with them or what they look like, and caring for them from Day One-when we get them-through to the Last Day, when we have to tearfully say good-bye as they leave for the Rainbow Bridge...and beyond...when we look back at all the love, care and hard work...and WE SMILE!
    Love and Light-
    Donna

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts soon happens to the man. All things are connected."-Chief Seattle

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by samanthajane13 View Post
    SnakeKeeper-

Welcome to the family of MBD reptile parents...it's hard work, but when it gives our beloved babies better health and more years, it's worth it!!!

I'm glad that Budo's doing well. He's such a handsome guy!!!

+++++

THIS is the difference between people who are only in it for the money, and those of us who truly LOVE our scaly kids!!!

This is what it's all about.

Loving them in spite of what's wrong with them or what they look like, and caring for them from Day One-when we get them-through to the Last Day, when we have to tearfully say good-bye as they leave for the Rainbow Bridge...and beyond...when we look back at all the love, care and hard work...and WE SMILE!
    Thanks!

I agree completely. There are so many reptile-keepers that buy solely from reputable breeders--I myself have purchased most of my snakes and my garg from top-notch breeders, and they are wonderful, but nursing an animal in need back to health is such an amazing experience. Budo has a very special place in my heart, and helping him to my best ability toward recovery has been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.

Thanks

Just a quick thought:

Anyone know of any studies that have been done regarding the cause of MBD? It seems as though it may possibly be related to high levels of PTH (Parathyroid Hormone). In which case, there would be many treatment options such as the already established contact with UVB (for vitamin D synthesis and it's hormonal derivatives). Another would be supplementation of some sort with calcitonin, a PTH antagonist, or total removal of the parathyroid gland.

K.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Panther View Post
    Just a quick thought:

Anyone know of any studies that have been done regarding the cause of MBD? It seems as though it may possibly be related to high levels of PTH (Parathyroid Hormone). In which case, there would be many treatment options such as the already established contact with UVB (for vitamin D synthesis and it's hormonal derivatives). Another would be supplementation of some sort with calcitonin, a PTH antagonist, or total removal of the parathyroid gland.

K.
    Additional UVB radiation and calcium supplements work very well (especially with beardies because these are must-haves in the first place), but only so much of the damage can be undone. Underbites and curled fingers will usually go away with corrected husbandry but any structural damage is permanent. Of course you can keep it from getting worse, but it is ultimately irreversible.

Thanks

I'm really glad you put this up here, it is great!
    Well this is Izzey, she had severe MBD when i found her at a pet store, went into calcium crash, had a seizure, and broke her back. Doing great now, but no way to tell how old she is/was when i got her. Hasn't ever in the five years i've had her gotten above 23g's but she's happy so i am too

Thanks

How sad. I purchased an adult female with MBD. When I got her I was so shocked but she was so sweet I couldnt give her back. She was ment to be mine! I still love her but I feel sorry she is so debilitated. I give her extra calcium with her CGD. What else can I do for her?

Thanks

My MBD rescue, Krumpets:

His zig-zag back...

This one shows how bent his spine is:

Thanks

just a friendly reminder:

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Gecko View Post
    Anyone else who out like to post pictures showing the signs of MBD please do so below. Please try and limit any text posts.

Thank you!

Thanks

this little gal had to compete for food with 2 adult males and 2 adult females (and 2 babies) and was being fed undusted crickets only

Imperial Ball Pythons
    Rightpet - A place to rate your favorite pets!
    5.8.1.5 - Crested Gecko
    0.1.3 - Leopard Gecko
    1.1 - Fat tailed gecko
    16.26 - Ball Pythons

Thanks

My female recently laid 3 eggs and I noticed this morning which seems like she may have MBD. I have been giving her water through out the day and trying to hand feed her some CGD and calcium, what else can I do, I removed her from her cage and put her in a smaller critter keeper so I can keep an eye on her, I am worried about her as she has been loopy all day and her legs have been twitchy on and off also. Please help.