Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: chahoua x crested cross breeding

Thanks

I have one of these and it is BY FAR my favorite gecko. It is the calmest Gecko I have and it is only about 10 grams. It has never tried to get away or poop out of fear, etc.

I see no problem with these hybrids. I am not saying I approve of doing this, but if you introduce a hybrid that is 1/10 chahoua into the wild, what trouble will that cause? They most likely all came from a common ancestor. eventually the chahoua genes in it will be almost completely lost. But i do dissapprove more of kingsnakeXcorn hybrids........bc of different habits. Soon you will have cannabalistic cornsnakes which could mess things up.

Eli,
    My hybrid was about the same price as a nice juvie crested and quite a bit cheaper than a baby chahoua.

This is my first post on this forum. I had just discovered it

Thanks

There is no doubt that the hybrids are cool looking. The hybrid debate is a very heated debate in some circles. I know from seeing people debate this topic, that not everyone is ever going to agree about this. I personally will not breed hybrids or buy any geckos from breeders who breed hybrids. But regardless of your stance on the subject, let me say, that releasing a hybrid into the wild (and with rhacs the hybrids may not be sterile) would be very bad. Yes they all came from a common ancestor and fairly recently in terms of evolution, however it has still taken millions of years for the different species of Rhacs to radiate out into slightly different niches in the environment. If this new hybrid can somehow out compete the other species and infect their gene pool at the same time, then it would be only a short time before all that was left was the hybrid. Definitely hypothetical, but possible, and something to think about. Obviously nobody is going to release a hybrid in New Caledonia. 8)

palex134 Guest

If you dont mind me asking, how much was it and where did you get it?!

Thanks

I guess sense the Crested Gecko is so common in captivity we are starting to forget only 7 years ago it was thought to be exstinct. Any polluting of the gene pool in the wild would be a tragedy. Do I think it will happen no I doubt it. But with their obvious troubles in the wild is it really wise to pollute the gene pool we have in captivity. The fact that you didn't pay that much more for it makes it even scarier.
    Glenn Bishop
    G & M Geckos
    http://gandmgeckos.4t.com/

Thanks

Is the wild population of cresteds small? I didn't think it is.....I thought that that they would be a slightly abundant species.

Thanks

Yes it is small and is being decimated by introduced rats and ants. They may not make it much longer at all in the wild.

Thanks

well its good to know that there are so many cresteds in captivity.
    Josh
    1.0 cresties (zeus)

Thanks

The main island that they are from is only 250 miles long by 40 miles wide. Not much to start with. There are six (I think) other smaller islands close by. But still not much especially with the introduction of rats and ants as Matt mentioned above.
    Glenn Bishop
    G & M Geckos
    http://gandmgeckos.4t.com/

Thanks

I say try it and great hybrid you got there.
    SWEET and SOUR like a TANGERINE fresh like a box of KRISPYKREMES!!!!!Powerful words for 3 Mc's and one Dj (Beastie boys)!!!!!!!

1.0.0 veiled cham
    0.1.0 leo gecko
    0.0.1 crested gec