Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: chahoua x crested cross breeding

Thanks

Default chahoua x crested cross breeding

would it be bad to crossbreed a crested with a chahoua? i know someone on repashy.com has a hybrid and i think they are awesome. i dont know if its harmful to crossbreed or if anything bad would happen so if anyone could give me ideas it would be much appreciated.
    Josh
    1.0 cresties (zeus)

Thanks

It's not harmful in terms of bringing out genetic mutations, but the offspring cannot have babies.

Thanks

oh really i never knew that. they are still neat but i want them to be able to have offspring.
    Josh
    1.0 cresties (zeus)

Thanks

Well theoretically hybrids are always sterile, but we don't know that for a fact with Rhacodactylus as far as I know. Ther hybrids are so cool looking but is it worth the risk of infecting or diluting the captive poputlation with mixed genetics. Hmmmm. could be a topic for a new thread, I'm interested to know what people think about this.

Thanks

I've heard that Paul Meyers, the guy working on hybrids has bred the hybrids back to a chahoua or crestie and got a normal looking crestie and a normal looking chahoua. Since the hybrids are fertile, I want to know if you can breed a hybrid to a hybrid? I asked someone this question, and they said that all of Paul Meyers' hybrids have come out male! Now I'm dying to know:

a.) If female crested x chahouas hybrids can or do exist?

b.) If you could breed a male and female crested x chahoua hybrid?
    ~Sarah~
    www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Thanks

P.S. I think hybrids are great AS LONG as the breeder is sure to label them as such. I believe in great record keeping for any project... but especially believe it is necessary for hybrid projects. When you look at it, many times hybridization can actually strengthens the animal's genetic makeup. Ever heard of how mutt dogs live longer than purebreds? I don't see why the same wouldn't hold true for crested x chahoua hybrids. If you think about it, the crested gene pool isn't all that diverse anyway... with just 100 or so animals that started off the captive crestie population here, there's going to be some definite overlapping of bloodlines. I think as far as health goes, hybrids just may end up being a little more healthy... if only for the simple reason that the introduction of chahoua into the mix is creating a gecko "mutt". Just a thought. I've never worked with hybrids... though now I'm curious!
    ~Sarah~
    www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Thanks

i think someone should do some very controled breeding with cresteds and chahouas and see what they find out. i think hybrids would be very popular if they could be bred and could have fertile offspring.
    Josh
    1.0 cresties (zeus)

Thanks

Default maybe I'll get one

I think I just might pic up a chahoua at the daytona show. start my own hybrid project. Maybe I'll breed Vey(high red) with a high pink pine isle one, that would be sweet.
    -Eli
    "The foulest death is preferable to the cleanest slavery"

Thanks

you should do that it would be very cool to see what the offspring would look like
    Josh
    1.0 cresties (zeus)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crested Lady
    P.S. I think hybrids are great AS LONG as the breeder is sure to label them as such. I believe in great record keeping for any project... but especially believe it is necessary for hybrid projects. When you look at it, many times hybridization can actually strengthens the animal's genetic makeup. Ever heard of how mutt dogs live longer than purebreds? I don't see why the same wouldn't hold true for crested x chahoua hybrids.
    The big difference is that dogs are different breeds of the same species. Cresteds and chahouas are completely different species, so it would be more like breeding a Rabbit with a Cat or something like that.

And the fact that the offspring are fertile is pretty scary, that means you could be buying a "crested" that has 10-20-30-50% genetics from a chahoua. It may be the coolest looking gecko in the world, but it is just a hybrid.

The other thing is trusting breeders to tell all their customers the truth and have everything labeled as hybrid. Now, I've been in this business awhile, and I guarantee that while some breeders will do that, Many will not!

But if everyone likes them and supports the breeders who are doing the hybridization, then it will encourage more people to do it, and the crested gecko as we know it could disappear all together.

Thats my 2 cents.