Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting male/female sexing observation.

Thanks

Default Interesting male/female sexing observation.

I know typically the mainstream methods of sexing are pores, bulges and even weight sometimes, but I think I have spotted another big difference that can be seen visually from the outside. (this observation might be covered somewhere else, if it is then I am just happy I observed it too. )

Anyway so when looking at my adult female (my first picture) you can see the scales are all pretty evenly locked together and the surface level is the same almost all over. I suck at describing things sometimes so I hope this makes sense. Female scales tend to be a bit rounder as well.
    #1 Female

On the adult male in the second picture you can see the obvious row of scales that have pores, but then above that none of the scales laying flat and uniform like the scales below the pore line. If you compare the scales below the scales with the pores you can see the same uniform pattern of scaling that females have only on a male it is localized below the pore line. Plus the males scales at the pore line and up are a bit more pointed then a females scales.
    #2 Male

I have noticed this visual difference in scales on very young geckos as well. The 3 picture is of a 5 gram gecko. You can see the same even interlocking scales that you see on an adult female.
    #3 Female

Picture 4 even though this male is already sporting pores at 5 grams you can see the scales that are raised slightly at the pore line and above, and the interlocking level scales below the pore line.
    #4 Male

The last 4 pictures I just circled the areas I am talking about to help spot what I am talking about.

#5 Female

#6 Male

#7 Female

#8 Male

Last edited by Talkenlate04; 06-28-2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: re phrase

Thanks

Talking

Ohh yeah! I didn't notice that before. Good observation!

Thanks

I see what you mean! Very interesting!
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

So based on what I am seeing I will attempt to validate it with good proof in the coming months.
    This is my first test. A 2.3gram baby.
    Based on what I have seen what do you guys think?

Thanks

In the other thread where we were discussing seeing another difference that is what I was trying to describe to you. So, I do agree. Pretty much what I was seeing as well. I have not tried really validating it though. So it will be interesting to see what you come up with here. My guess is male for your baby based on no visible pores. Seems I do see some of the scales overlapping. What do you think?

Thanks

I was kinda leaning towards male based on going off the photos above
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

And I am saying female.

The scales and the spaces between the scales appear to be pretty level through the area you would see pores.

Time will tell.

I have had this work on three others so far, this is just my first public trial of validation.

Thanks

Interesting...

Thanks

I am going female as well. Based on the above pics, the scales where the pores would be are more rounded, as with the males they look to be more oblong.

Looking forward to the results!

Brandie
    Brandie

www.cbballpythons.com
    5.5.7.3 Cresties - 1.2.1 Gargoyle - 1.1 M.I. Chahoua - 1.1.0.4 P.I. Chahoua - 0.0.1 Leachie

"I'm in the high-fidelity first class travelling set.......I think I need a Lear jet"

Thanks

I'll guess female. The pores do seem rounded and fairly even. This is fun! Do you have any more babies to post so we can guess?
    *Kristen*

1.0.3 Crested Geckos (Manny, Eleanor, Klaus, Kitty)
    0.0.0 Chewies (Heathcliff)
    1.1 Kittens (Bowie, Bonnie, Lucy)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair T (unnamed)