Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first Ts (with many more to come . . .)

Thanks

Default My first Ts (with many more to come . . .)

I found another addiction! I still love my cresties, but now it looks like I am going to have to create a Tarantula fund! Yikes . . .

I ordered a G. Rosea sling from an online breeder (for my first T), and the guy sent me a freebie sling and a little cup of Dubias! Here's a picture of one of them (they both look the same lol):

I think they are super cute and sooo fascinating. I know Gramms take FOREVER to grow and I am already getting restless to buy another T . . . looking at maybe an Avic or I really like B. Emilia's. I haven't made up my mind yet. If anyone has suggestions, I'd like to hear them. I have read a million threads on what are good beginner/intermediate Ts but there are just so many out there I am having a tough time picking one!

Anyways enjoy the pic!
    *Kristen*

1.0.3 Crested Geckos (Manny, Eleanor, Klaus, Kitty)
    0.0.0 Chewies (Heathcliff)
    1.1 Kittens (Bowie, Bonnie, Lucy)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair T (unnamed)

Thanks

Very nice! Congrats
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

aw its so friggen cute! I have 3 T's myself I have found my little avic versicolor has been a slow grower, eats alot but isnt growing very fast, whihc that was my first sling I got, had normal avic before years upon years ago, just wanted to try my hand at a sling. Then I got a B.Smithi, and now I have a A. Metallica. My B.Smithi is a beast, he/she has grown very quickly since I have gotten it. My A.Metallica I have ony had for a few months now though. I really would like to get another one, but at the moment we are running out of room with all the geckos. Myself as much as some of the Indian species look, I will stick with less crazy spiders, I really ont want to chase them around the room and thankfully my 3 are pretty mellow for the most part!
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

I've got a g. Aureostriata. It's a ton of fun to watch. I saw an adult female at the Daly City show.. she was huuuuge and fuzzy! I've had avics, too. They're neat little guys. I just didn't like waking up and finding poop almost covering a whole side of the tank. Ew. They're pretty, though.

Thanks

Get some Haplopelma or Poecilotheria ;]
    P.subfusca would be a good choice!

Thanks

Do not get a Haplopelma or Poecilotheria species until you have kept tarantulas for some time and are very well versed in FAST and FURIOUS types. Haps don't bite once and back off ..they bite as they run up and down your arms.. repeatedly. Poec's ..pack a terribly nasty HOT bite and you will regret it for months on end.. some have even reported years of pain.

I started with an A. versicolor. He's long since matured and passed on. I also have a few Grammostola species, some Lasiodora ..L. parahybana and L. difficilis right now, a B. vagans, T. pruriens, A. geniculata, N. chromatus, C. brachycephalus, H. minax, P. fasciata, and so on...

G. aureostriata are pretty cool T's and they seem to grow a little bit faster than most Grammostola ..at least, that has been my experience with TahDahhh! ..my female. If you can find a G. pulchra ..pick up one of those for their beauty alone! The velvet'y black is just spectacular! If you don't mind hair kickers ..it doesn't affect you too badly.. go with the B. emilia or another Brachypelma species. They are colorful, mostly docile ..and don't get too big. If you don't mind size though, go with an L. parahybana or another Lasiodora species. They get pretty big ..my L. difficilis was about 8+ inches... but they are still slow enough to not be too much of a risk to a nOoB ..and they are more tolerant of husbandry learning curves.

Good Luck!
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Thanks

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of the advice. I really like the G. aureostriata also, and I also have been researching C. cyaneopubescens . . . those guys are BEAUTIFUL and make awesome webs! Anyways, I'll let you guys know what I choose and post pics! And all of you other guys with Ts, I wanna see pics of yours!
    *Kristen*

1.0.3 Crested Geckos (Manny, Eleanor, Klaus, Kitty)
    0.0.0 Chewies (Heathcliff)
    1.1 Kittens (Bowie, Bonnie, Lucy)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair T (unnamed)

Thanks

See I wish I could just find a really big not so crazy spider..lol I wouldnt mind having one get 8-9" so long as it was not terribly grumpy species or a very fast species. I heard the chaco's are a pretty easy to maintain larger species. I was thinking of getting one of those, although wont be my most flashy T, but people talk them up about being a pretty nice species to have.
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AneesasMuse View Post
    Do not get a Haplopelma or Poecilotheria species until you have kept tarantulas for some time and are very well versed in FAST and FURIOUS types. Haps don't bite once and back off ..they bite as they run up and down your arms.. repeatedly. Poec's ..pack a terribly nasty HOT bite and you will regret it for months on end.. some have even reported years of pain.
    You may be right there not the best for beginners but honestly if your careful and do the proper research before hand there's no reason why you couldn't own any of those species ;]
    I mainly keep Asiatic tarantulas and think there some of the most fascinating ones to keep!If anyones interested I have a few things for sale ;]
    Including these rare gems

-Chris

Thanks

wow that T is stunning!
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI