Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CALCIUM AND VITAMIN D3 -What you need to know.

Thanks

The calcium plus is an all in one calcium/vitamin supplement. It does contain Vitamin d3 and can be used to dust insects a couple of times per week.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Matthew Parks For This Useful Post:

Duders (02-05-2013)

Thanks

I use the Repashy Calcium ICB stuff to dust my insects with for both my rhacs and my leos.

Thanks

oh!
    And thank you for posting this.
    The whole D3/no D3 thing has always confused me a little.

Thanks

thank you for helping everyone get more info on this cal and d3 issue
    2.0.0 gargoyle geckos(Murderface 3 years old and Manson 3 years old)
    R.I.P. 0.0.1 house gecko(Doomageddon 2 years old)
    R.I.P 1 fired belly toad(Frogger 13 years old)
    2 cat(Lilly 5 years old and Lola 20 weeks old)
    R.I.P 3 hamsters(Kenna and her 2 babies)

Thanks

This clears up a lot !
    Thanks Matt !

Thanks

This is a very useful post! Can this info be applied to leopard geckos too?
    0.2 leopard geckos Yoshi and Akari
    2.0 crested geckos Peanut and Hershey
    0.1 silver miniature poodle Midnight
    1.0 husband

Thanks

I was recently in contact with a member looking for help with her gecko. Over some time of conversation in chat and some emails w/ pictures being exchanged she took the animal to the vet.

The symptoms that are showing that led to the vet treatment was...

Lethargy/ lack of appetite
    Swollen joints
    what appeared to be a necrotic tongue
    Possible eye issues. (hard to say from the pictures)

I learned from the conversation with that the person, who was trying to do her best, had been adding extra calcium to the CGD each feeding as well as dusting crickets. This happening each time over a period of 4-5 years. It turns out that the calcium had D3.

The vet seems to think that it is a possible case of D3 toxicity. The symptoms seem to all lead back to that. It's causing renal failure because the gecko is storing an excess of minerals it can't metabolize. The tongue seems to be from a clot (possible mineral buildup clot) that could not pass in that area.

I'm happy to report that the gecko seems to be doing much better. It may loose a portion of the tongue but hand feedings are working for now. Only time will say what will happen. I will give updates (possibly pictures) when I find out more.

I felt this was a good place to post this information. As Matt has said, the CGD has D3 and there is enough of it in it unless you also feed feeder insects. You should only need to dust feeders with D3. Beside that there should be no reason to need to add extra calcium w/ D3 into the normal diet.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

That sounds like Gout. Yeah the CGD does NOT need to be supplemented!!!

Thanks

i really think that all of it (lighting, calcium both with and without D3) does help when used properly. The reason i say this is because (and i know this might sound bad) the only reason i got a crestie in the first place was because i saw one at a pet store that was extremely sick(throwing up, crooked tail, skinny as all get out, i had done enough research on them to know that it wasn't good). They adamantly denied that there was anything wrong with it,"some of the little ones are just anorexic for a while and then they grow out of it" so i bought it and set up a vet appointment for two days later. The vet didn't know anything about them, so i went back and picked up another one who was healthy (judging by research done online) so that he could compare the two. Within those two days, she went into severe calcium crash, had a seizure and broke her back.

Now, i supplemented her (with the vets advice) with both calcium with D3 and without, and with the lighting. With the mixture of the three, she recovered so quickly that the vet couldn't believe it. He told me he was almost certain, that we would have to have her euthanized within a few weeks. But she recovered great, regained full use of both her back legs and her tail, and is just as happy as can be! Now i know that she was an extreme case of MBD (i mean you couldn't even make out most of her bones in her x-rays, almost like they were non existent) but i do still add a little bit of extra calcium without D3 to the CGD every couple of months when i have a female who is breeding mainly because my vet told me that excess calcium that is not needed will not be stored without excess D3. I have been doing this for over 3 years, and haven't had a single case of MBD or FTS with the exception of my two rescues who came to me that way. I take all the girls in for a yearly check up, and everyone is doing great! (lol, i do it mainly because the vet wants to see izzey again! we all love our little hunchback!) But i do think that with the proper use, there is absolutely nothing to worry about, other than if you are using it correctly or not.

Thanks

Can one add Flukers calcium with d3 powder to their water if so how much like a pinch..?