Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue tongue skink

Thanks

Default Blue tongue skink

Does anyone here own one?

I am considering getting one for my son in the future (he's 9) as he wants his "own" lizard, and I've heard these are very personable.

I've been checking out bluetongueskinks.net, but I cannot get the pictures of their terrariums to show up.

I have a lot of reading to do on these guys as I don't really know the first thing about them.

I don't even know what they eat.

Like I said, it's just a thought for the future. I want to make sure I have enough knowledge about them before bringing one into my house.

Thanks

Yes, I have a bluey. Honestly my favorite lizards next to cresties. They do have a lot of personality, and you never have to worry about them not feeding (unless sick). Theyre omnivorous, and i feed mine crickets, hornworms, superworms, collard greens, blueberries, raspberries, and the occasional organic low fat cat food for more protein. The only bad thing about them is that because they can grow up to 28 in depending on species and require a large tank. My guys just under 20 in. But honestly they really are some of the best pet lizards and are very underrated. Sorry for this extremely long reply ha. But here's some pics of Jay and his home.
    Heres Jay

& his home

His tank is about 70 gallons and 4ft long. I used aspen as substrate because they love burrowing and it's pretty clean. He also has a large basking spot with a 75w heat lamp and a Reptisun 5.0 uvb lamp. I keep a large water dish in there for soaking, and a hide to make him feel more secure.

I hope that helps 8D
    Jake Karn
    Trophy Rhacs
    www.trophyrhacs.webs.com

Thanks

Oh Blue Tongues are the best, my son is 7 and our bluey "chilli" (he called her chilli because she loves to just chill ) is his favorite. She is so sweet and lovable. We got her at the pomona show in January from shelbyreptiles.
    Ours likes to eat veggies, fruits, and about once a week I give her some of the high end cat food in a can her fav is the turkey and she loooves bananas.
    Here some pics and vids.....
    Any questions please ask we love our skinkers

2.2.2crested geckos 1 ambilobe Cham
    1.1 PI chahoua 1.2 leachie 1 leopard gecko 1.0 Bearded Dragon 1.0 Hamster 0.2 Tortoises 1 possum
    1.2 KSBoa

http://www.iherp.com/cslinca

Thanks

Thanks so much, guys!!!!

Both of your skinks are awesome!

I will say this: They are not quite as cute as the geckos, but if they're personable, that's what I'd like.
    They are, however, ADORABLE when they move!!!
    Your video (I watched it earlier when I did a search) is CUTE.

How often do you need to feed babies and adults?

Which would you recommend for a first time BTS owner, a baby or an adult?

And can you start babies out in giant tanks, or should you house according to size like with cresties?

Thanks

No problem 8D. The only time mine is ever pissy is when I dig him up out of the aspen haha. For a first time owner, I think either is fine, I personally like raising mine up from hatchlings or a lil bigger. The juvies are alot faster than the adults but I'd say get a young one about 5-6 inches if possible because then you get to see the lil guy grow up into a big fattie ha. Babies id say feed every day, and adults every other day or so, because they can get obese quickly. When I got Jay he was about 4 inches and I kept him in a 20 gal long, but within a few months he was in a 36, than a few months later the cage hes in now, and this has happened since last july ha. They grow very fast if fed well, and Id say might as well start in a big tank because juvies are very active and arent picky eaters.
    Jake Karn
    Trophy Rhacs
    www.trophyrhacs.webs.com

Thanks

I agree with Jake, ours was a juvie when we got her (dont know if shes a she but thats we think ) she eats very well and was handled a lot ,but it is nice to grow one up from a baby..... Ours is ready for a tank upgrade for sure but she is very happy in her 20g long at the moment. She does come out a lot to play though.
    Thats funny that you said theyr not as cute as cresties, I said the same thing when I was researching. I thought they were kinda creepy looking to be honest, but once I got her home and got to know her I absolutely think they are as cute even cuter sometimes bc of personality. I now think skinks are sooooooo cute their little funny faces and bodies.

one more vid my son made
    1.1 PI chahoua 1.2 leachie 1 leopard gecko 1.0 Bearded Dragon 1.0 Hamster 0.2 Tortoises 1 possum
    1.2 KSBoa

Thanks

BTW ours is a northern BTS
    1.2 KSBoa

Thanks

do the different types of blue tongue skinks look ALL that different?

I was told that a Northern would be a great BTS for a starter.

Your video was ADORABLE!

Do you guys know any reputable breeders of BTS?

Thanks

I spoke with the owner of bluetongueskinks.net a lot before I got mine, his advise was to make sure it is CB captive bred and a Northern is the way to go for a first timer.
    He has a waiting list on his website for babies or look on their classifieds or
    This is one reputable breeder that was suggested :
    http://www.seikereptiles.com/

good luck
    1.2 KSBoa

Thanks

Ahhh, Blueys. I have three.(Nice pics, by the way, you two!)
    How can you say that this face isn't cute??

They're very smart lizards as well. Chuffers comes when I call him, he knows our voices and is just awesome. He was my first and I love him with all my heart.
    He's the one that got the whole "lizard" thing going for me! Chuffers is a Merauke, which is a locale of Irian jaya.
    Here is Marley, (my littlest Irian Jaya)with his special "artwork" done on his basking rock. He is Captive bred and born as well!

And Nubbin in Tony's arms, She's a total cuddlebug.
    Sleeps on us.

Skinkers are hardy, intelligent, tolerant, sweet wonderful first lizards. My friends in the herp society here, all their kids love Chuffers. (He's done some educational outreaches before!)
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas