Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE help! possibly egg bound

Thanks

Default PLEASE help! possibly egg bound

hi, this is Firestar, my female i've had for almost two years. i ordered her online from someone, (not on here). she has always been a concern. although she has excellent calcium sacs, i have not been able to correct the base-of-the-tail curve, or the kink at the bottom of the tail. she has had different problems along the way. i have never bred her, have always kept her alone because i have been concerned about her health.. she eats cgd 2part, and dusted crickets when i feed them, and she eats calci worms. MOSTLY cgd. those are the only foods i feed her. ever. my concern right now is that she seems filled with eggs. she is very bloated. you can see the eggs. (remember, i have had her since june of 07. she has never been with a male here.) she was gravid when she came, and i have 3 offspring from those eggs. anyway, here are some photos i took, and i would greatly appreciate some feedback on how to help her. THANKS!

she has been 38 grams recently, but i have not weighed her in a while. I'll check and get back with you. THANKS!
    EDIT: yikes... i weighed her and she's lost weight... 28 grams. i just recently fed the E-fix... am getting ready to do the N-fix, not sure what to do. I'll move her to a smaller cage where i can watch her. ?
    Last edited by marigold; 03-14-2009 at 12:23 PM.
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Thanks

I wish I could help! Just offering a little support here. My female laid several duds before she'd ever been with a male, I think they're just programmed to lay.

Can you take her to a herp vet? I *think* the only fix for being eggbound is surgery. I hope I am wrong here. Please keep us posted!

Thanks

I've never dealt with an egg bound gecko before so I can't offer a ton of advice. I do have one question, though... what temps do you keep her at? If she is around 70 degrees, maybe try increasing her temps up to around 75. Since they breed/lay in spring and summer and generally stop during the winter, maybe a slow increase in temps could encourage her to lay if she is intentionally holding back her eggs.
    Kevin and Steph
    http://www.sadlerreptiles.com
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

Thanks

I recently tried to save an eggbound female I found at a local petstore. 16 undeveloped eggs were surgically removed from her 18g body. Although she fared well for about a couple of weeks afterwards, she didn't make it when she stopped eating. Now, don't lose hope, because this gecko that I was working with was severely malnourished to the point of starvation. Yours looks healthy besides the eggbound nature. I think surgery is your best chance. The eggs are probably undeveloped and have hardened into kernel like structures that can not easily be passed.

This a picture of the eggs which were removed from the poor little female I tried to save:

Good luck for you and your gecko! She's a pretty one. I think she is quite capable of being saved. Hope all goes well for you.

Thanks

thanks so much for your replies! ShadowKorin, that photo is amazing! when i look at her abdomen, it looks like two formed eggs... does egg binding cause lack of appetite? i am concerned that she has lost weight. i will call our vet... yikes, i hope they know what they're doing...
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kbsdsad View Post
    I've never dealt with an egg bound gecko before so I can't offer a ton of advice. I do have one question, though... what temps do you keep her at? If she is around 70 degrees, maybe try increasing her temps up to around 75. Since they breed/lay in spring and summer and generally stop during the winter, maybe a slow increase in temps could encourage her to lay if she is intentionally holding back her eggs.
    i hadn't thought of the temp thing regarding laying! she is right at 69-70 degrees. i will up those temps. can egg binding cause loss of appetite? thanks,
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Thanks

My question to you, is how long have you noticed she had eggs? I know last season when my girls were thin,normal, they showed eggs a couple of weeks before they layed. Humm thinking about it, it was also much warmer. 75-80. I would think also being a cold blooded, that the eggs would take longer to develop, this season, the girl that use to be every three weeks, is once a month. but the temp is more in the low 70's. Upping the temperature sounds like a very good plan.

One of my girls last season also was not eating, it was her first breeding season and I had to hand feed her until fall! luckly this season she is a happy fatty and I don't have to do any thing.
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

Have you tried a warm sauna soak? Sometimes that can help encourage things. When was the last time she actually laid?
    I hear that yes, they can lose appetite from being eggbound, and one of my girls stops eating about two days before she lays her eggs.

I would try the warm soak and make a vet appointment as well.
    Also, Metronidazole can be hard on developing embryos, so if she had the E fix while gravid, the embryos may have died or deformed in the eggs inside her????
    (Just thinking this is a possibility)

Have you had a fecal run on her since she's been with you?
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

I'm sorry I have no helpful advise, but I wish you and her the best of luck. Please keep us updated.

Thanks

Poor thing. I hope she lays for you. Does she dig around in the lay box at all? I'd like to see if increasing the temperature has done anything. ::sending good thoughts::