Thread: Leopard Gecko Rehabbing Update and Inquiry

Thanks

Default Leopard Gecko Rehabbing Update and Inquiry

Thought I'd give an update. Having a few issues and not really finding anywhere to turn.

I don't know whether anyone saw an update I posted, but the littlest leopard died a couple of days after we got her. She was just too far gone, too small, and had no more will to live. We e-mailed the previous owner and she said she wasn't surprised

My confidence took a blow with that. I realized how grim these guys' prognosis really was.

When we were going to get them, we didn't actually know how bad they were. We found out that they were all kept in the same tank so were competing for food, and there was drastic size difference between siblings. All, however, suffer from MBD from some degree to another.

So we were left with the 1 male and 3 more females. I now have new concerns. 1 female, a bell albino, seems... off, to me. She appears to have suffered from MBD the least, having no visible growths on her bones and fully supporting her body weight. I witnessed her having a seizure once, though, so I know that she is far from healthy. Anyway, she squints a bit too much and walks strangely. Kind of like she is doggy paddling/swimming. She reachs out in front of her, and tends to look and reach upward. Kind of like she is stargazing, to an extent. I can't tell whether she can see, or to what degree. Other than that and being a bit skinny she is okay. I wonder if she is either having trouble seeing/blind or brain damaged.

I am concerned that the male may be impacted, but can't figure out how that could have happened. The previous owner didn't keep them on a loose substrate. All I can think of is that she fed only mealworms, so maybe she kept them too cold and the chitin built up? He had been eating pretty well for a while, but then we noticed we weren't seeing any poop in his enclosure and he was looking kind of round. One thing we have noticed is that he sometimes has a darkish swelling right in front of his vent. i have been giving him oil and stopped feeding him for now (was feeding protein baby food with calcium and pedialyte by pipette). I've also been soaking him in warm water and massaging his belly. Hasn't worked so far. He has become far less active, lying in the same place all the time. I feel like he will either live or die very soon.

Had an episode with one last night, and thought for sure she was dead. It was like she choked on the food I was giving her. She is way too small for her size and I am concerned that she doesn't eat enough. She is frustratingly stubborn and I felt that I had no choice but to gently open her jaws and force her to eat a little. I swear she is so stubborn that she wouldn't swallow. Why would a gecko have trouble swallowing? I'm pretty sure she isn't impacted. I just thought maybe she was used to hardly eating, and needed to start eating more and expand her stomach. I'm not sure what happened, but I set her aside for a break and then when I looked back, she had stopped moving and was barely breathing, and in a panic I held her angled downwards and pushed the food up and out of her mouth. I was afraid I was being rough with her in doing this (afraid to even touch geckos with MBD), but I knew she would die if I didn't do anything, and after I couldn't think of anything else to do (this whole ordeal probably lasted 20-30 minutes), I put her down in her tank under a bulb and she laid there lifeless for an hour or so. Slowly, she improved. She starting breathing more regularly, blinking, licking, and lifting up her head. Then she started walking. This is a MIRACLE. I will never make the mistake again, and I am completely ashamed.

Sorry for the extremely long message. I always think it best to leave absolutely nothing out.

I realize a trip the vet is really in order, but I have my opinions about that. I took these animals in from a woman who almost killed them, and I figured, between her or me, they were much better off with me, vet or no vet. I don't have the money to pay for a general checkup and then, on top of that, knowledge that I already have. Most vets that treat reptiles (at least around here, and there are only 2 and 1 openly admits that he only sees them rarely and he doesn't recommend bringing them to him) really don't seem to know more than I do and just spit out general care information. I have been flabberghasted in past experiences. Aside from some medications I can't get hold of, I don't feel like a vet can offer anything I can't provide at home. Anyway, at this point, all they could do for the impacted male would be cut him open, and I don't know how reasonable that would be for a tiny gecko. The only one I would really consider taking would be the female who might have trouble with her eyes, just because she is otherwise so healthy and has a good chance of living, and something like that might require meds, whereas an impaction wouldn't. I know it's risky posting about opinions about the vet, and I run the risk of looking like a real idiot. Any respectful responses are welcomed.

Any advice appreciated at this point.

Thanks.

Lauren

Thanks

Hmmm...

Well, for the impacted male, try some vegetable oil in the soaks, and get him to drink some. Make sure his temps are good a high, so he can digest everything. I'd stop feeding him right now, until he defecates. Get the oil into him, and keep up the soaks.

The female...well, the seizures say MBD. Get extra calcium in her. And you have a UV light on her? Try some extra D3 as well.

I know they are skinny and such, but the best thing right now is fluids and calcium/D3. Try that slurry out that I sent you. This could help a lot, and the leos are supposed to love the stuff. Won't be hard at all for them to digest either. Are you feeding them mealworms right now? If so, I'd try another insect with less chitin, because that is probably what has impacted them.
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl
    1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page
    Middle TN Exotic Pets Club

Thanks

Yes, they have a UVB light (10.0) and no, I'm not feeding them insects right now. Just the chicken baby food, calcium, and pedialyte mixture. I have completely stopped feeding the male except for the couple drops of oil 1-2x/day. If I tried insects soon, it'd be crickets. I have been alternating using calcium without D3 and calcium with it, so every other day they are getting the D3. Is this okay?

I'll look back over the slurry recipe.

Thanks!

Thanks

Looks good to me, I would only do the D3 thing every other day, and skip D3 the next week all together. Don't want an overdose of it.
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl
    1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page
    Middle TN Exotic Pets Club

Thanks

Hey there, sorry to hear that your leos are in such rough shape.
    It would help to know what state you're located in, as people on here may be able to recommend a herp vet that maybe you hadn't heard of?
    Have you tried www.arav.com
    or www.herpvetconnection.com to find a herp vet near you?
    I know sometimes you just have to suck it up and drive an hour or two to find a good one.
    Anyway, I don't know what to recommend for your leos other than a fecal test for parasites. Are they losing weight? It could be any number of issues with them, from cryptosporidium to MBD to genetic defects.
    If these came from a chain pet store originally, I would bet like 99.9999% that they have crypto, which is treatable but not curable.
    Are there any dark spots that you can kind of see through their abdomens?
    Can you take photos of these guys so we can get an idea of how they look?
    Please keep us posted and I wish you good luck with them.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

No, I haven't heard of those sites. I'll check them out.

I don't know about parasites. I haven't really had them long enough to notice much weight change. All I know for a fact right now is that they have horrible MBD and 1 has impaction, and that's what I'm focusing on most.

I'm not that great at detecting the dark spots on the abdomen. I have a hard time telling those from organs. Last night, though, bathing the male that I think is impacted, it seemed like a lot of his belly looked pretty dark. It's still soft, though, not hard feeling or anything. And there's that dark swelling right before the vent.

I should take pictures. Maybe I will. I'm just afraid that the flash could set off a seizure, because I know the male had a seizure when the previous owners took a picture of him for me. Do you think flash could set off a seizure in their weakened state?

Thanks

By the way, I live in North Carolina.