Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Start of a necrotic tail?

Thanks

Default Start of a necrotic tail?

Well, an amazing little guy I bought yesterday looked like he had a little nip on his tail when I brought him home. In the pictures, it didn't seem like anything serious, so I thought it was possibly markings, although it was suspicious it was on the tip. (I didn't want to mess with him too much, he seemed a bit stressed)

But while feeding tonight, I got a better look at it. And to me, it seems that it did spread a little. Yet, it could just be that I was more aware of it and specifically looking at it.

Does that look like the start of a necrotic tail, or just a nip? Should I be worried? Is there medicine or something else I should do?

NOTE: I didn't get to weigh him yet, but he's likely about 5 grams.

Thanks

That's necrotic for sure. I would probably force the little guy to drop it's tail. That's the safest, quickest, and easiest way to ensure it doesn't turn into something that could kill him.
    Sam - 5yr old Lesser White Fronted Amazon
    Buddy - 6yr old Lutino Cockatiel
    Fatty + Skinny - 1yr old Richardson's Ground Squirrels
    Phil, Lil' Guy, Fat-bottomed Girl, Armand - Crested Gecko
    Devil Girl - Mantis Shrimp -30g setup
    125g Frontosa Cichlid Tank
    120g Saltwater Reef Setup

Thanks

I am sorry about your little one.

I appreciate you sharing the picture though. It is good to know what that looks like in case any of mine ever get it.

Thanks

Ooh, yeah i would def get that tail off of him before the infection gets any closer to his body. I'd also do a full cage cleaning to make sure he isn't reinfected.

Thanks

Aw man. And here I was hoping it was just from a bite or shed. I'll put him in a new KK while I disinfect the one he was in. Thank you for the speedy replies, everybody.

Thanks

If you want him to keep it, put some neosporin on it and put him in a clean cage. Wait 3 to 5 days or fewer if it spreads. See if it heals. Looks like a nip to me.
    Jennifer

"In the end, we will only conserve what we love, we will only love what we know, and we will only know what we are taught." -- Baba Dioum

Thanks

yeah, I was kinda thinking the sauna, then let it dry, get a good look at it, put the neosporin on, check again tomorrow,put the cream on each day. Like mentioned, I would maybe try and wait a day or two. Could it not be shed stuck in a prior wound? I had one that looked so awful, seemed to be creeping up his tail, was just so bad, but I kept soaking each day,put the cream on, left him in KK, been fighting this for I guess about one month now. He just dropped the tip of his tail, I did not need to force the loss. Yesterday he was even using it to curl around my finger, where as before the whole thing was so stiff, I thought he would never even use it again. I am just offering opinion. You can't risk his life and the people with more of a medical background are the ones to listen to. Good luck with him!

Thanks

I never force my gecks to drop their tails... that is not a life threatening injury and these little guys have INCREDIBLE healing powers.

Keep the cage clean, keep him by himself, and you may be surprised what happens.

I've used neosporin on cat bites and find that its not really absorbed, and the grease will stay on until the next shed. I don't recommend it because a wet wound should be kept dry, and that tail looks moist to me.
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie

Thanks

no offense to everyone but i had a boy whose tail looked like that everyone told me to drop the tail. the breeder, who i purchased the gecko from, insisted they were normal bite marks from breedin( which was partially true).
    so what i did was wrap the boy in a paper towel and held him while i dipped the tail in a little dish of hydrogen peroxide. it loosen the scabs and ate away the infection. after a good soaking i got a wet q-tip and gentally rubbed the tail. after the second time i found out that the scabs was keeping the shed from fully coming off and was starting to constrict it.after 3-4 times of doing this his tail looked like nothing ever happened.

i also double with wat Miss Kiwi has to say. no neosporin. it's just messy
    0.2.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus Pebbles & Radar
    0.0.1 T roborowskii
    0.3 Lepidodactylus lugubris lucy, lucy, lucy
    0.1 weiner dog(Phoebe)[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

I had a gecko like this as well. I did the peroxide thing, but it never healed. So I put my left hand over her body and such to keep her from moving, while I took the back side of a knife (isn't sharp) and applied pressure at the base of the tail. She dropped it, and she was fine. It just kept spreading up the tail, and I was worried about it reaching her body. Good luck!
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl
    1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page
    Middle TN Exotic Pets Club