Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live Feeder Mice - where to get them? (MD)

Thanks

Default Live Feeder Mice - where to get them? (MD)

I hope this is an okay area to be posting in... Does anyone on here live around Baltimore, MD that purchases live feeder mice? Anyone that breeds their own? I've been trying to find a place to buy them and I haven't had any luck. It's hard because I only need one every 7-10 days. Thanks.
    Kevin and Steph
    http://www.sadlerreptiles.com
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

Thanks

I don't know any places up around there but you can always try at the next reptile show, but that wouldn't work on a weekly basis. Does the animal not accept frozen/thawed?

Thanks

Not yet... I'm trying to switch him (Ball python) over. Some people recommended that I offer a live fuzzy followed by a F/T one or switch the F/T for the live at the last minute.
    Kevin and Steph

Thanks

You could get single or multiple live feeder mice for about $3 from any pet store. You could also buy a pair of male and female and breed your own.
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.1.1 Leopard Geckos

Thanks

There is only one pet store near to me that sometimes carries them... you have to call in advance. The rest of the stores are all Petcos and (at least the ones near me) only ever have frozen. I don't really want to get into the hassle of breeding my own mice for only one snake... I hate the way they smell.
    Kevin and Steph

Thanks

I switched 2 balls over to frozen with little trouble - I gave them a f/t mouse superheated with a hairdryer then held them in front of the balls nose with a pair of 10in hemostats. One convert was a baby, the other was a 3 y/o, so its worth a try.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kbsdsad View Post
    There is only one pet store near to me that sometimes carries them... you have to call in advance. The rest of the stores are all Petcos and (at least the ones near me) only ever have frozen. I don't really want to get into the hassle of breeding my own mice for only one snake... I hate the way they smell.
    I've never heard of a petco that doesn't sell live mice. Are you sure yours doesn't? They will be in the small animal dept, not the reptile....
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

Pet stores charge too much and you need quite a few breeding pairs to keep up a consistent supply.

Check out the classifieds section on Kingsnake, look under the Feeders section. There is a breeder named Mathew Oakley who lives in the Baltimore area. He can probably help you out with what you need.

Bart

Thanks

Yeah... I've never seen a pet store (like Petco, PetSmart, Pet Supplies "Plus", etc.) not carry mice.
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.1.1 Leopard Geckos

Thanks

Default feeding mice

you can try this take the thawed mouse warm it with hot water for a min or two that will bring the body temp of the mouse up as like it was still alive then cut the bridge of the nose on the mouse just the skin so the blood smell and oder will be there take long tong and move the mouse around as like it was still alive bump in to the snake a couple times get the mouse in his face and he should take it it worked for all my green tree python babys and they can some times be pain in the butt to feed as babys. for the finding mice wish I could help you out on that one.