Thread: losing weight?

Thanks

Default losing weight?

So three of my four geckos have lost about 2 grams or so in the past month(my latest gecko has gained 2 grams). The three that lost weight are all around 30 grams, the little girl just weighed in tonight at 20g. They are all housed seperately.

I realized yesterday, after buying a new digital thermometer/hygrometer that my room's thermostat is borked and even though it is set to max heat, was only keeping the room at 65 degrees throughout december. The thermometer reading on the thermostat read a few degrees above 70.

I brought the geckos into the more heated snake room, and now they are at a balmy 75F with the cages on the floor. I'm hoping the added heat will motivate them to eat a bit more.

My issue is that they all seem to be eating and pooping, but apparently are still losing weight. I feed strictly 2-part CGD, but am going out to pick up crickets, gut load, and calcium powder tomorrow, in the hopes that some bugs in the diet will help them put back on some lost weight. I've been feeding only CGD because I was told it was better for their calcium levels.

Other than the lost weight, they seem healthy and active. I spray the cage pretty well 2 or 3 times a day, sometimes 4 if I get up early or go to sleep late. It's pretty dry here in Minnesota and I'm pretty sure they enjoy a bit of extra humidity when possible. I can take them out for short handling sessions, they like to jump and climb. They love to hide on branches or vines, especially under heavily leafed areas that provide more security and hiding. Basically, from what I understand, normal healthy gecko behavior.

Anyone want to comment? I'm more than open to ideas and suggestions. THANK YOU!

Also as an extra note, I saw my biggest female(weighed in at 34 grams earlier tonight) just a moment ago lapping up water from her water dish. This is the first time I've ever seen a gecko drink from a water dish. Is this a good thing? I assume so since that's what the water dish is for, but I'm hoping that I've been giving them enough daily misting.

Thanks

well 2 grams is a pretty small amount, and depending on when and how often you weighed them before, it could have just been that they hadn't gone to the bathroom yet. Their poops can sometimes weigh quite a bit. Weight fluctuations of only a couple grams can be nothing. but i don't if the temps would have anything to do with it. i would just monitor them. if they are eating then they should be fine. just make sure they don't start losing a lot more weight.

Thanks

Yes I have gotten two gram poops before. and sometimes they will drink out of their water dishes though mine seem to preferr to lick it off the walls. I wouldnot really worry about the weight loss, if there is poop, their eating. Diffinelty the temperature cooling could get them off their feed
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com