Thread: Sanitizing Driftwood

Thanks

Default Sanitizing Driftwood

So, my sister spent the holidays at our beach house in Santa Barbara & while she was there she collected a bunch of gorgeous driftwood. She brought all of it to me in hopes that I could use it in my terrariums. Now I just need to figure out how to sanitize it. The pieces are far too large to boil, so that option is out. I've spent a little time googling sanitizing options & it seems likes my best choices would either be baking or soaking (in a bleach solution or hydrogen peroxide).
    I was just wondering what methods others here have used.
    For baking I was thinking 225 for 30 minutes. Would that be good? Do I put the wood in dry or soak in water or cover in foil 1st (I'm worried about charring)?
    For soaking, some people say bleach solution, some say hydrogen peroxide. I was thinking to put the wood in a garbage bag & completely submerge overnight. If bleach, should I do 10% bleach/90% water (that's what I normally use for cleaning & it seems to work) or a stronger mix? For HP, should I use 3% (like the kind you get from the drugstore) or a higher % (carried in some hardware stores & nurseries)?
    I'm leaning more towards baking, but I thought I'd ask for advice here 1st. Usually, I boil, but as I said the pieces are too large & I don't want to cut them down.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    -Kim
    5.3. Cresties - Maka, Cecilia, Mata, Professor Spottington, Oopsie, Seymore, Murphy, & Dinah
    1.1 RETF - Malvina & Reynold
    2.0 Red Eared Sliders - Peek-A-Boo & Aku
    1.0 Western Painted Turtle - Bosko
    1.2 Pups - Kineda (AkitaX), Goldie (Golden RetX), & Lucelli Jonas (Mini Doxie)
    2.0 Spoiled Pussy Cats - Finnegan & Frye
    & oodles of koi & other fresh water fish, all of whom I've named, but its far too long to list!

Thanks

I would go for the bleach, lust leave it out in the sun until it is very dried out and all should be fine. Evidenly you don't want to bake things to long or it combusts.
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

I personally would go the baking route... Why put anything into the wood you don't want your gecko getting into? Even if its a diluted solution.... I baked my driftwood at 250 for like 20-25 minutes.
    1.0.0 Crested Gecko named Spike

www.PangeaReptile.com

Thanks

Baking is the best route, I agree 250 for about 20 minutes should do the trick and kill everything in/on the wood.

As for the solution route, you are submerging the wood in something toxic. No telling how long it'll be before all of it is evaporated. Best safe option is to bake it.

And the combustion, it'll take ALOT more heat then 250 over 20 minutes for a piece of wood to explode. And combustion is more of a problem with baking rocks.. even though its the same concept. Will take alot more heat.

I forgot to add, boiling is great too. I always boil unless the piece is to large, then I just toss it in the oven.

Thanks

Ah yes, forgot to mention the fire part... You have nothing to worry about there...
    1.0.0 Crested Gecko named Spike

www.PangeaReptile.com

Thanks

I always boil...and if too large, I bake. Both are easy and effective.

Thanks

Thanks everyone!
    I was leaning towards baking but I just wanted to get other's input first. I wish I could boil them, but they're just too big. I'll pop 'em in the oven now, & hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to put all of this beautiful wood to some good use. I'll be sure to put up some pics so you all can see how it turned out. Thanks again. I really appreciate it.
    -Kim
    5.3. Cresties - Maka, Cecilia, Mata, Professor Spottington, Oopsie, Seymore, Murphy, & Dinah
    1.1 RETF - Malvina & Reynold
    2.0 Red Eared Sliders - Peek-A-Boo & Aku
    1.0 Western Painted Turtle - Bosko
    1.2 Pups - Kineda (AkitaX), Goldie (Golden RetX), & Lucelli Jonas (Mini Doxie)
    2.0 Spoiled Pussy Cats - Finnegan & Frye
    & oodles of koi & other fresh water fish, all of whom I've named, but its far too long to list!