Thread: Newly Aggressive Gecko

Thanks

Default Newly Aggressive Gecko

So I've had my leopard gecko for over 2 years now. Got him when he was 8 weeks old. He got my finger once when he was much younger and I was (stupidly) hand feeding him with small tongs.

About 2 weeks ago, I was going through his cage, cleaning some stuff up. It was about 1:30 AM, and he didn't seem terribly excited to see me. In attempts to pick him up, he reached around and got my right index finger in a bad way. We're talking should-have-gotten-stitches bad way. I've been skittish about it ever since. Fed him the next day, let him be. Fed him again a few days later, he was calm. Took him out, he was on my shoulder, etc. Seemed to be doing fine.

Today, I needed to clean again. Fed him a LOT last night. We're talking 20+ large crickets. I was skittish because he seemed a little fiesty last night, so I put a gardening glove on. Sure enough, I go to pick him up, and he gets my index finger again. Lets go shortly after. He then begins to BOUNCE off the cage walls trying to bite at me. My face, my hand, everything. He repeatedly strikes the glass trying to bite me. Easily 10 or 15 snaps in a row, even without movement.

I fed him MORE today, and he ate another 10-15 large crickets (last feed, aside from last night, was 4-5 days ago at most, so I don't think it's starvation).

He has NEVER been like this, and I cannot figure out why he is suddenly so aggressive. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Danny
    Last edited by 92foxbody; 01-04-2009 at 01:22 AM.
    1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Kai)
    1.0.0 Leopard Geckos (Apollo)
    2.0.0 Dalmations (Kona and Jack)

Thanks

You made him angry when you moved his stuff?

I don't really know why they will "all the sudden" get so fiesty and start snapping and biting, but I've had it happen here, too. Maybe we just startle them ..wake them ...intrude on their little gecko world at the wrong time ..I dunno. It could be that he's usually sleepy when you've handled him in the past ..especially if it was earlier in the day ...or he is in an amorous mood and you smell like a female gecko. It could be lots of things.

And yes.. some of the larger ones can pack a heck of a bite!
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Thanks

What I don't get is why it would last for hours on end, even before/after feeding. I didn't even stick my hand in the cage...he would wait for me to come back in the room and freak out again. It amazes me. Worth getting a fecal test done?

Thanks

Wow. What kind of gecko are we talking about here?

Thanks

Sorry. I'm talking about a Leopard. Could a mod edit the title for me please?

Thanks

Bump...anyone else? He is walking around the cage snapping at me. What gives?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 92foxbody View Post
    Sorry. I'm talking about a Leopard. Could a mod edit the title for me please?
    your post is fine you clearly stated that you were talking about a leopard gecko. I do not own these so I am really just taking a guess here a friend of mine had one and when it was old enough to mate but did not have a mate it would jump at the tank when he walked in the room. It took a few chunks out of him before he found him a female now all is fine. Just my thoughts I hope he calms down for you at the very least i would sleep with one eye open. Good luck.
    Sandy
    7.6.8.0 Crested Gecko 1.1.3 Gargoyle Gecko
    0.1.0 Pine Island Chahoua 0.1.0 Bearded Dragon
    My sweet meow meow I miss you!
    1.0 Painted Turtle Squirt