Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: !HELP! plump egg with grayish splotch growing...

Thanks

it's totally in the temps, genetics really only comes in if you're talking about different species, and even then the temps make a huge difference.
    Rhachic
    www.goodlifeherps.weebly.com
    specializing in rhacodactylus

Thanks

well, it certainly seems that way up here!
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Thanks

Are you sure the egg is fertile? In the second pic it doesn't really look like there is anything in it from the way the light is shining through it, but perhaps it's just the photo? By this late in incubation the egg should appear almost or very full and you should be able to see lots of solid areas when you candle it, where no light shines through at all.

I have had a few infertile eggs incubate for months before going bad (I incubate everything until it goes bad). They swell up as they absorb moisture from the substrate over time so it looks like they are growing normally. I have also had a few eggs that were fertile, but the embryo stopped developing very early on, however the egg still grew as it absorbed moisture as described above. (Those eggs were the last clutch or two from females that laid for a particularly long time after being separated from the male, which I believe to somehow be the cause of this.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    It looks as if it is protruding off the egg. I have no idea but wouldn't be to concerned. That guy should hatch soon.
    I agree, I wouldn't be concerend at all. I've had this before on a couple of my eggs, and they hatched just fine. Also, 120 days is not too long at all. Most of my eggs go 100+ days as I incubate in the low 70's. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Thanks

Temperatures play a great role in incubation time for Ciliatus. A short incubation is due to warmer temps while a long incubation is due to colder temps. Everything seems normal to me. Keep us updated.
    It's a popcorn season!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cookreptiles View Post
    Are you sure the egg is fertile? In the second pic it doesn't really look like there is anything in it from the way the light is shining through it, but perhaps it's just the photo? By this late in incubation the egg should appear almost or very full and you should be able to see lots of solid areas when you candle it, where no light shines through at all.

I have had a few infertile eggs incubate for months before going bad (I incubate everything until it goes bad). They swell up as they absorb moisture from the substrate over time so it looks like they are growing normally. I have also had a few eggs that were fertile, but the embryo stopped developing very early on, however the egg still grew as it absorbed moisture as described above. (Those eggs were the last clutch or two from females that laid for a particularly long time after being separated from the male, which I believe to somehow be the cause of this.)
    This is good information. Thanks!
    It's a popcorn season!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cookreptiles View Post

well, now, that's fascinating... when i was photographing the egg, i tried the flash and i thought the egg looked emptier than it should... i guess i should candle it. i'll let you know... now that would be just awful!
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Thanks

The egg looks good to me, as well. I've seen some funny color come up on some of mine, as they progress ..and they've always hatched out perfect little Cresteds anyway.

I would be VERY surprised if this egg is infertile.. just based on the size of it (otherwise, I completely understand why Marigold is not happy about mating... her nether region still hurts from pushing THAT out! lmbo )
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss