Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: !HELP! plump egg with grayish splotch growing...

Thanks

Default !HELP! plump egg with grayish splotch growing...

i asked about this a week or so ago when the spot was much smaller. now i have photos, and the spot is on one end of the egg, and moving underneath. here is what i can show you: (day 120, btw):
    this shows how normal the egg looks. you can't really see the splotch here, but the egg is otherwise very healthy looking, and gorwing very plump!

this shows the splotch, on the right end of the egg:

this also shows it.. what do you think?

hope i have shown enough for you to help! i have more photos if necessary. this is one of Marigold's eggs, and she's a very temperamental individual! the clutchmate egg molded very early, and couldn't be saved. this is her only healthy egg of her very short season... as she was a mean mate and had to be housed alone forever 8 days into the season...

but should i cut or tickle the egg? i want this baby! THANKS!
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Thanks

sometimes my eggs get color on them from the incubating medium staining the shell...its hard to see it, but i guess it could be mold...does it smell bad? It looks very full, and 120 days is a crazy long time. What species is Marigold? I assume crested based on your signature list...Are you incubating them cold? Have you tried candling? It could be nothing, even a harmless type of bacteria might cause slight discoloration.
    Rhachic
    www.goodlifeherps.weebly.com
    specializing in rhacodactylus

Thanks

It looks as if it is protruding off the egg. I have no idea but wouldn't be to concerned. That guy should hatch soon.
    It's a popcorn season!

Thanks

it isn't protruding off the egg at all. it almost looks like a grease spot, but it's not greasy. it isn't mold either. it's just a slight discoloration which totally looks like it's caused by some kind of moisture, and it started out small, and has grown to cover about 1/4 of the surface area of the shell. it's also gray, and darker than i could show in a photo.

but if no one thinks it's bad, i'll leave it especially because i am afraid of messing with an egg.
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Thanks

I have no clue, but good luck. I hope everything works out. Maybe it is waiting to hatch at X-mas?
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

I was looking at the small piece of superhatch at the end. Ha, ha! You are talking about the grey coloration on that same end that covers a 1/4 of the egg from tip back. Sorry. You know, all of my eggs have had this discolored look that yours has but in many different patterns. Never as solid as what you are experiencing. All of mine hatched.
    It's a popcorn season!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rhachic View Post
    sometimes my eggs get color on them from the incubating medium staining the shell...its hard to see it, but i guess it could be mold...does it smell bad? It looks very full, and 120 days is a crazy long time. What species is Marigold? I assume crested based on your signature list...Are you incubating them cold? Have you tried candling? It could be nothing, even a harmless type of bacteria might cause slight discoloration.
    marigold is a crestie. our house temp is kinda cold. probably around 67 degrees. i have had six eggs hatch this season, and they went for 120-125 days. wish it were a bit warmer in here! i have not candled but thought that if the egg lasted this long and grew, (it started out small), it was fertile. ...is that right?

i can't emphasize how perfect the shell looks otherwise.
    thanks for the insight...
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marigold View Post
    marigold is a crestie. our house temp is kinda cold. probably around 67 degrees. i have had six eggs hatch this season, and they went for 120-125 days. wish it were a bit warmer in here! i have not candled but thought that if the egg lasted this long and grew, (it started out small), it was fertile. ...is that right?

i can't emphasize how perfect the shell looks otherwise.
    thanks for the insight...
    In my experience infertile eggs mold and never grow to be that size. Looks like a healthy egg to me.
    It's a popcorn season!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    I was looking at the small piece of superhatch at the end. Ha, ha! You are talking about the grey coloration on that same end that covers a 1/4 of the egg from tip back. Sorry. You know, all of my eggs have had this discolored look that yours has but in many different patterns. Never as solid as what you are experiencing. All of mine hatched.
    exactly! not affecting the surface smoothness of the egg, just a discoloration. i am kind of exhausted from checking this egg four times a day since day 90! (marigold had two other eggs 1.5 years ago and they hatched at day 94. warmer time of year, though. wasn't sure how much emphasis to put on genetics vs temps /impact on gestation time... seems like temps weigh in heavily...?)
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Thanks

haha i just noticed where you live! I was going to ask why you didn't just turn the heat up! That is kinda cold to be incubating at, but if they're hatching ok, I guess it's no big deal. Though it definately explains the super long incubation time. If it's not slimey or smelly it's probably just humidity and baby growth related, and not mold. It's pretty normal as leif said, to see coloration happen on incubating eggs. And yes, if it's swelling and has been incubating that long it's gotta be fertile. I've had infertile eggs swell when it was warm, but only for a few days before they shrivel or mold because there's nothing alive in them.
    Rhachic
    www.goodlifeherps.weebly.com
    specializing in rhacodactylus