Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My naturalistic paludarium for Cresteds

Thanks

Default My naturalistic paludarium for Cresteds

Hi!

I'm working on a larger setup (80cm x 70cm x 110cm) for geckos, and just wanted your input on how appropriate this setup would be for a group of Credteds. Most worried about the fact that there will be 10cm of water in aprox 1/2 of the bottom. But as You can see there is some roots that they can use to get up, if they should end up in the water. There will also be a waterfall coming out of the bottom root in the corner.

The groundwork is now almost done, just missing a few more vines to give them some more horisontal walkingspace. I'll give it a couple of months to grow, so that all the xaxim will be covered (moss etc.) before adding any animals.

So the big question is if it will be OK for cresteds, or if I have to reconsider my choice of geckos towards a more waterfriendly specie?

You can follow the building process in this link:
    http://www.reptilweb.no/reptilforum/...t=3397&start=0

Best regards
    Martin

Thanks

I can be wrong, but I don't think a crestie should be kept with water deep enough to drown in. I was told when I started keeping cresties that they shouldn't even have a water dish b/c of the risks and moisture from mistings is fine for their hydration.

Either way it's an absolutely gorgeous tank! Is i live plants? Where did you get the cool spiraling branch things?

p.s. will the geckos eat the gravel or no?

If you can't get cresties in there, it actually looks like an awesome set up for poison dart frogs if you were interested in them.
    ~www.CrestieCafe.com~
    4.4.10 Crested Geckos (Deku, Charmander, Zebes, Scampi, Gemron, Mocha, Tiramisu, Chozo, & the hatchlings)
    Eggs currently in incubation: 8

Thanks

Yeah, a lot of people will recommend against putting a crested gecko in an area that will have water that deep, yet I know a lot of people that do it anyway.

If I were you, maybe just put in a couple larger rocks that come up more in the deeper parts. Because the geckos will likely be jumping every which way from the walls and everything. The last thing you'd need is for it to go face first in water and freak out. Not sure if they can swim.

You can always get something that's just too large in general to drown in that. Like a leachianus or something, i'd say it'd be fine with that. It just depends if you want to spend that much money on it.

You'll likely want to talk to a couple more people in order to get a good idea. I haven't really tried putting much water in with the cresteds (I always put large rocks in their water bowls and such) so i'm not too sure how they would react with that much water in there.

Lovely setup though

Thanks

I think thaatis one stunning tank, I am curious how much is invested into that?

I do agree with the others I wouldnt consider housing a crested in that because of the depth of water. I think if you had several larger stones all along in the water that might be a better idea. Or if you could get more aquatic plants (sturdy) in the deeper end, that would also help and add to the beauty of the tank. But personally I think that would make a fantastic frog setup, would look great with darts in there.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Thanks guys!

Have put a lot of money into the tank, and a lot of work, so spending some more on suitable geckos won't be a problem, but I really had my eyes on the cresteds...

All the plants are real. Mostly Tillandsias and some Neoregelias by now, but there are 3-4 orchids aswell, and many more on the way

The curly things are natural vines, and they make a great contribution to the estetic look of any naturalistic terrarium.

Naturally there will be lots of plants in the aquatic part also, both regular and floating ones, but have not filled it up yet due to the fact that I want to give it some time to grow.

I was hoping that the mangroveroots in the water (witch will poke out of the surface) was sufficient to prevent the geckos from drowning, but then again, that is why I'm asking. I would be suprised if they would panic if they ended up in the water, cuz there sure must be small ponds and streams in their natural habitat...

I really love the frogs, buth the whifee has banned all fruitflies from the appartment, so I better think in other directions... Happy whife, happy life

Best regards
    Martin

Thanks

I kept a crested in a 29g natural terrarium, approx. 5 - 6" of water. He had no problem at all. That's not to say that no crested anywhere has never drowned in its habitat, but I'd be surprised to hear of any water incidents that involved death in a terrarium with decent land access.

I had several things to grab onto, by the way, as it sounds like you plan to do.

From what I've seen, they don't like to swim, but can in an emergency. Beautiful setup - so yes, I think a crested would be fine in there.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

With more horizontal branches/vines as you said, and a bit more leafy cover I think a crestie would be fine in there. It looks beautiful. The only thing I would be concerned about is the finer-grade gravel becoming ingested, but if it's kept at the bottom of the water, perhaps you wouldn't have an issue with it.

Thanks

Smile

In my experience cresteds over 25 grams are fine with water deeper than that. And yes, they can swim, though from your description and the photos I don't believe they would need to since it looks very shallow. I do not suggest keeping anything smaller than that weight since it is much harder for smaller geckos to get out of water and can be stressful. The only issue I see, which could just be the angle of the photos, is that there doesn't appear to be much dirt ground. If you put any breeding pairs in there you should really have a good area of ground so they can lay, or at least put a egglaying box in it. I have a 6x6x2 foot vivarium with a 35 gallon aquarium and 3 waterfalls that I have kept up to 8 adult cresteds, a breeding pair of chahouas, and a breeding trio of gargoyles in. I have seen them all swim when they jumped into the water, or even fell in the few times that happened. As long as you have spots with things they can grab onto to easily pull themselves out, it's no problem for them. They are actually pretty fast in the water. Though again, yours doesn't appear to be deep enough for swimming. They will most likely just jump up on one of the branches. Also, keep in mind that since so much of your ground space is the water, they will deficate into it quite a bit, so make sure you have a very very good filter and change out your water every week or two, because they will drink from it. Mine loved to drink from the waterfall because it constantly spritsed the sides of the logs around it so they could drink whenever they wanted instead of just when I sprayed them. Also, yours seems to be fairly closed, you may want to have a screen lid (if you don't) to help with air flow and keeping the humidity a little lower. Humidity is important for shedding, but too much can also be bad. My vivarium has a screen top on the entire length of it, so it had a 6x2 foot area of fresh ventilated air. I'll have to dig out my pictures but I had a good one of one of my adult female cresteds hanging off a vine watching water drip off the end of the bamboo waterfall. I also had a crummy blurry picture of my adult female chahoua anchoring her tail to the side of the aquarium and spreading her body out on the water...no clue why but she did it a couple times...liked floating? :P
    As far as ending up eating the gravel, my aquarium was deep enough that I didn't need to worry...though I also hand fed all of my geckos that were in there so I knew how much each was eating and so i didn't have to release crickets in there that would definately have gotten out. So if you don't hand feed yours, you should probably get a deep plastic container to put the crickets in during feeding so they don't get out. Obviously they would die quickly if they did get out since they do not handle water and humidity well, but they will also dirty your water.
    Hope that info helps you figure out what you want to do. Either way, you've got a beautiful setup there! Whatever you do decide to house in there is a very lucky critter!
    Rhachic
    www.goodlifeherps.weebly.com
    specializing in rhacodactylus

Thanks

Very nice tank. I have seen even babies being kept in tanks with mostly water bottoms so I don't think you should have any issues there. I hope you don't plan on feeding crickets in that tank you would spend a great deal of time fishing them out of the water if you did. I don't know if you plan on any water plants, I did not see that you had any listed but I would suggest it. I don't know what kind of filtration you have going on the water but live water plants would help a lot. Good luck and be sure to post the geckos in the tank when you get them. =)
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

Thanks again!

One of the reasons for choosing Cresteds for this setup is to avoid the crickets on a daily basis. Will handfeed them warious insects as often as they will take it, or feed them in a small platic container. There will eventually be orchids and other plants for about $1000 in there, so I won't have any crickets roaming around and chewing on any of them

Here's a picture of the horisontal vines that I'm waiting for:

Really cool vines

Regarding the ground space, there is more than it appears on the first photo. Her is an overview from early in the buildingprocess:

and a newer one:

There is screen mesh in the top, and one one of the sides, so the humidity should not be too great even if the misting system is running 3 times a day for a couple of minutes.

So far I would say that it looks like this setup might work out for the cresteds. I will try to get hold of some nice adults, and hatchlings will offcourse be housed in a differen setup.

Best regards
    Martin