Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discoid babies

Thanks

Default Discoid babies

Kind of a suprise. I ordered some discoids a few weeks ago to start a colony for my geckos. They gave birth in transit to about 20 or so babies and I figured that would be it for babies since all the roach ladies were bugging out from the trip. (like the pun? he he he ) Most of the ladies had dropped their egg sacks from the stress of shipping and I currently don't have any male discoids (the USPS person is a retard and the box was superheated when it arrived... killing the males , though the girls survived) so I have to say that I was amazed when I opened up the roach tub today to see what looked like a zillion babies... though it was really closer to about 60. Immaculate conception or super-tough roach gals? I'll take the latter. :wink:
    ~Sarah~
    www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Thanks

Aren't you the lucky one. Hoping to get roaches eventually, but the only kind i would want to get are extremely expensive. Do you have any pictures of your roach set-up?
    0.1 Albino Leopard Gecko\'s
    0.0.1 Ball python\'s
    0.1 Blood python\'s
    0.0.2 Crested Gecko

Thanks

I don't have any pictures right now, but I have the adults in a large rubbermaid tub with egg crate stacked on one side, food on the bare side, and bare-bottom floor. The babies are also in a similar setup, just smaller. They're kept in a room at about 80-85 degrees b/c I'm terrified of heat tape. (I'm convinced that even with a dimmer, my house is going to burn down. I'm a spazz.)
    I have to say, I'm still absolutely terrified of the adults and had to scoop the babies out with a spoon after an adult ran across my hand and I screamed like a little girl. :o Lol. At least the babies are cute-ish. :wink:
    ~Sarah~
    www.CrestedLady.com

Thanks

ROFLMBO

That would be me, too, Sarah. I bought one of Clark's geckos that feeds on roaches, and I talked to my husband about raising our own, but neither of us can bring ourselves to do it!! Luckily for me, I found out that our local herp store actually breeds Madagascars and is starting up a discoid colony, so no adult roaches in the house!!!!

*shudder* Captive-bred roaches shouldn't be so bad, but since moving to the South we have developed a phobia. It's crazy to see roaches using the sidewalk midday downtown, just scuttling along.... "Oh, don't mind me, just out doing some roach shopping" or to walk into a nice house or an apartment hall and have them just staring at you from the walls and ceiling.... "Hey, whadda ya doin? This is our turf, see, and we ain't leavin'!!"

The best I can do is hold ONE adult Madagascar at a time in the store, and only if the owner pulled it out of the colony for me.
    "Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight;
    You gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight....."
    --Bare Naked Ladies

Thanks

I also just got a shipment of Blaptica Dubia. They are really cool. The USPS people are useless the first shipment all died because it took them 8 DAYS TO GET HERE even though they were shipped 2-3 day priority.

I got kinda pissed off and made some enemy's at the post office.

But yeah they are very interesting and the babies look like little prehistoric crabs. I just so glad I'll be saving money and not having to spend so much money on crickets. Though my friends thought I was retarded paying almost $1 per roach (they were like man you could buy like 100 itunes lol)

Congrats on your new buggy babies. :wink:
    Derek Dunlop
    DDReptiles
    www.DDReptiles.net
    Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Thanks

HAHAH yea thats true. hmmmmm lets decide.. roaches.. or mp3 files.. u decide :lol:

Thanks

Derek,
    i was in the same boat when i got my roaches a while back. Now i have friends that are afraid to step into my house because they feel that my house is infested.

Thanks

Yeah I have a few herper buddies who were siked to come over and see them. And a few other buddies who weren't to fond of them. I mean the delivery man is shaking in his boots whenever he comes to my house he just drops off the package and runs. (I mean one day it crickets the next day is rats and the next day its a box labeled "live animals" ) :lol:
    Derek Dunlop
    DDReptiles
    www.DDReptiles.net
    Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DDReptiles
    Yeah I have a few herper buddies who were siked to come over and see them. And a few other buddies who weren't to fond of them. I mean the delivery man is shaking in his boots whenever he comes to my house he just drops off the package and runs. (I mean one day it crickets the next day is rats and the next day its a box labeled "live animals" ) :lol:

HAhahha thats funny sorry i jus tha dto laugh at the delivery guy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DDReptiles
    Lol. That's how my delivery/pick-up people are. This one lady in particular is absolutely terrified of the cricket boxes I get. LMBO. It may sound mean, but sometimes I'll purposefully not go outside to meet the truck, just to see this lady RUN to the door, hit the doorbell, and SPRINT like an Olympic runner back to the truck. Lol. I look at it this way, I'm just doing my part to keep my fellow Americans fit and trim. :wink:
    ~Sarah~
    www.CrestedLady.com