Thread: "Cape Zebra Dwarf Day Gecko"?

Thanks

Default "Cape Zebra Dwarf Day Gecko"?

OK dunno if that's the right name for whatever these guys were, but that was the label on their tank!
    Matt and I went to the pet store last night for doggy food and
    there was a new tank setup there with these beautiful little geckos in it. They were colorful and also some stripes going down their body.

They were really pretty geckos, and we're both interested in finding out more about them to consider adding a few to the family. They were pretty cheap ($20) and only about 3" total, but dunno if they will get bigger than that (depending on how big dwarf means...)

Anyone know anything about these? We tried looking online for info or caresheets with no luck!
    Thanks!
    ~www.CrestieCafe.com~
    4.4.10 Crested Geckos (Deku, Charmander, Zebes, Scampi, Gemron, Mocha, Tiramisu, Chozo, & the hatchlings)
    Eggs currently in incubation: 8

Thanks

I dont know, depending on what species of day gecko they either stay small or get big!
    2.0.0 Crested Geckos
    -Stanley, Screwie Louie

RIP My baby girl Lilian, And now Ace my boy. I love you both...

Thanks

Just looked up Pictus, and nope they looked nothing like them.
    The shape was very much like a day gecko, so maybe just something else in the day gecko family?
    They were very tiny- There were multiple of them in a 10 gallon with waaaay more than enough room to leap around (and boy do they jump far and fast!!!). A very tropical/jungle looking set-up as well with a lot of plants and humidity. They were probably smaller than the 3" I said too now that I have a ruler here... I am bad with numbers and size/depth perception heh.
    ~www.CrestieCafe.com~
    4.4.10 Crested Geckos (Deku, Charmander, Zebes, Scampi, Gemron, Mocha, Tiramisu, Chozo, & the hatchlings)

Thanks

Yeah, i take the pictus gecko thing back, i think i read your post wrong!
    2.0.0 Crested Geckos
    -Stanley, Screwie Louie

RIP My baby girl Lilian, And now Ace my boy. I love you both...

Thanks

What you saw in the tanks were likely Lygodactylus. They are "day geckos" in the sense that most species in the genus are diurnal. Related to Phelsuma (also day geckos), care for some are similar to their typically larger cousins, but many like it much drier. Looking at recent imports, you probably saw more than one species in that tank as most people are terrible at labeling Lygos...especially since there are about 12 subspecies of L. luteopicturatus/picturatus alone. Get some decent pictures and I can tell you what it isn't...
    -Harold
    CC Herps http://www.ccherps.com

Coming soon...

www.versatilevivariums.com

Thanks

Thanks Haroldo!
    I looked up Lygodactylus, and while there is still very little info and no pics so far for me to compare, there is one called the "Lygodactylus capensis" whose common name is the 'Cape Dwarf Gecko'. So maybe it's possibly that and they added in the 'Day' for no reason and the 'Zebra' cause of the striping...
    Next time I am at the store I will try and get a pic of them. Also I'll try and get pics of a few different in case, like you said, there are different species labelled as the same. Dunno how soon I will be going, I may try and go just for more info on these geckos though because whatever they are, I really liked them.
    ~www.CrestieCafe.com~