Thread: "Oh yea..Well you have a big snout!" Fight*

Thanks

Default "Oh yea..Well you have a big snout!" Fight*

Ok I have a question about Agression and keeping Females together in one tank. I was cleaning Banana and Skyys tank (both around 13g and females) and thought since I was going to put them together in a couple of weeks I set them in the 30 gallon that I just got all ready for them (plants hides everything) So while I was Cleaning, They actually looked around, Skyy went up to a plant and went to sleep then Banana crawled up and slept with her! so I kept them in there just to see how they would do for that day. later that night when they woke up the looked around and again just fine. The next Morning I caught them Sleeping again and at night they woke up and banana just attacked her at random. I split them up quick and put them back in their original tanks. So the question is, after Quarenteen, should I try again or just not mess with it.

Thanks

It sounds like they want company. What kind of a fight was it? could they have been bickering (snap, I'm annoyed at you. get your tail out of my face), playing or was it a I'm going do you bodily harm? The first two I would put them together, they obvious liked sleeping together. The last, I would put the cages together(well for both) and watch what goes on. When quarinteen is done, put them together but watch like a hawk. maybe even seperating them when you are not arround. I haven't had any issues with geckos being aggressive yet. knock on wood. And hopefully I wont.

Your a smart girl, make your observations, you are really the best one because you are there. Listen to others advice, but if you gut, after quanintine, says don't put them together, then maybe you are picking up on something we cant see. Good luck
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

If you just put them together, you just blew it with the quarentine. Just so you know!

Sounds like they would be fine together... I would try them out together again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ JENN ~
    1 Daughter ~
    1 Chihuahua Cookie
    1.2 Pine Isle Chahouas Shrek Sugar & Spice
    1.2 Cresteds MrGoodbar Lollipop TootsieRoll
    1.0 Gargoyle Wyvern (Living the life at Lunars house with a girl!)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jennsen View Post
    If you just put them together, you just blew it with the quarentine. Just so you know!
    I was thinking the same thing. Only more like, there's no reason for a quarentine now, since they've been together already.

Maybe try a bigger cage? More plants? Seperate food dishes? Maybe taking them both out at the same time and letting them interact outside the tank would help them (I don't know how, just suggesting).

I wouldn't give up completely, but I would be very watchful of them when they are together. I wonder if it's too much stress to put them together while you're around, and then split them apart for when you're gone, or sleeping. Acclimation, baby.

Thanks

Well Ok maby I blew it But but but Banana has been seperate for around 4 months and eats like a pig and is gaining weight. Skyy is eating perfectly fine also. The fight wasnt crazy, I think it was banana in a hunting mood. Ill see what i can do and ill report in with any more new things. I suppose i will try putting the tanks together and see how they do then. :x wish me luck

Thanks

Good Luck, Ashley!

I am glad you are proceeding carefully with reintroduction.

I currently have 4 adult females together, mother, two daughters and an unrelated female. The two daughters each have tiny healing snout nicks from chompage, but I did not witness the girlfight.
    The three related ones often sleep tangled together, so without projecting too much human emotion onto my geckos, I can at least say they are secure enough together to let their guard down and get some z's.
    Julie
    lots of cresteds and a fair amount of gargoyles

Thanks

just because i have experienced this as well, and it is a good thing to know... i have noticed that there is a pecking order among girls when they are housed together, i have four females in one cage at the moment, and there has always been a "queen" of the cage. my queen is Saphron (coconut's mommy) lol, and the only reason she was anitially the "queen" was because she was so much bigger than everyone else! she hasen't ever bullied anyone else in the cage, but she definitely let them know with a quick nip "hey, i'm in charge, don't forget that..." but she has mellowed out a bit and become the cage mommy recently

my best suggestion if you want to put them together again would be to put sky in the cage for about thirty minutes before you put banana in there, because banana seems like she may end up being one of those "queen" types of females, and they are particularly possessive. This way, she goes in there smelling another gecko, rather than free teritory to claim... there still may be a little tiff, but just keep an eye on them. Saphron and Ruby butted heads for about a week, but it wan't anything that left a mark, so i wasn't worried about it too much or else i would have seperated them as well.

but like rhatfield said, you will know best what type of aggression is being displayed because you know them the best. Just follow your gut with this, and if it worries you there is probably a reason, so just go with what you feel and all will be well!