Thread: A confusing tail dilemma with a gravid girl.

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default A confusing tail dilemma with a gravid girl.

PROBLEM SOLVED. I had her drop her tail so it wouldn't get in her blood stream or anything.
    Just leaving up this thread for reference and such, just in case anybody ever needs to search this stuff up or whatnot.
    She took it pretty well, too. I am going to keep an eye on her and make sure it heals up well.

Well, the female Crested I got today has a bit of the end of her tail dying. I already knew this was hapenning before I got her, so this is nothing new to me. The end of the tail is black, and looks quite dead. But near the living tissue, it almost looks like a fresh wound. Like as if she had been chewing on it or something. Her tail is perfect besides that dying end, not a single kink that I can see. But it seems that her tail is indeed getting worse.
    And she is also gravid. I was hoping she'd lay her eggs before I got her, but that isn't the case.

So, the main problem here is should I wait until she lays her eggs, or try to get her to drop her tail as soon as possible?

I am worried that she will start digging and it will irritate the tail further, and it would spread too quickly to stop.
    But I also think that if I remove the tail now, that maybe it'd start to get infected or something with her digging and laying the eggs.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...emaletail1.png
    http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...emaletail2.png
    There's some pictures. And yeah, they are pretty gross. So don't click them unless you're prepared I guess.
    Last edited by Jateui; 10-18-2008 at 02:05 AM.

Thanks

K, I can see how you would be in a delima. I dont know the right answer here, but I can tell you what "I" would do.

I would make her drop the tail and house her in a tub or aquarium with bare essentials. If she needs to lay she will lay on paper towels if there is no lay box and this would help to lessen the risk of infection. Just my .02
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NOHR669.com Protect your rights! Don't let the bill pass!

Thanks

Jate,
    Like we talked about, I would remove the tail. At least you know how to remove it now!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ JENN ~
    1 Daughter ~
    1 Chihuahua Cookie
    1.2 Pine Isle Chahouas Shrek Sugar & Spice
    1.2 Cresteds MrGoodbar Lollipop TootsieRoll
    1.0 Gargoyle Wyvern (Living the life at Lunars house with a girl!)

Thanks

Yeah, but I heard that some girls won't lay if there isn't a suitable place to do so. And they'll hold it as long as they can, which often makes them eggbound.

Thanks

are you SURE that the "death of the tail" will grow up the tail? I would keep her very well hydrated, and keep her alone. this is just my opinion. her tail could heal, or at least, the part of her tail that is healthy could remain healthy. don't be too eager to pull her tail off... (jmho)
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Thanks

I am keeping her in a very well misted cage. I gave her a short little sauna treatment earlier (only 10 minutes) to see if it would help. I'll likely give her a bit of a longer one before I go to bed.

And here's some pictures. pretty gross though
    http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...emaletail1.png
    http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...emaletail2.png

And an update, I had her drop her tail tonight. I just need to get some good moss or something for her to lay eggs on now. She is going to be living in a pretty boring viv for a while (Toilet paper tubes, fake leaves, lots of bundled up paper towels for her to hide in, etc.) with quite often mistings. Hopefully she'll do okay, but she took the tail drop very well. She is pretty tame already, but she just walked off like it was nothing afterwards. (Didn't even try to run or jump away) and was fine with me picking her up and everything. So I think she will be just fine, but I am going to keep a close eye on her.
    Thanks for all the help everyone
    Last edited by Jateui; 10-18-2008 at 02:01 AM.

Thanks

I'm happy to hear that she's doing well after dropping the tail.

That tail looked BAD, so I'm glad that the tail is gone now. Good job Jate!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ JENN ~
    1 Daughter ~
    1 Chihuahua Cookie
    1.2 Pine Isle Chahouas Shrek Sugar & Spice
    1.2 Cresteds MrGoodbar Lollipop TootsieRoll
    1.0 Gargoyle Wyvern (Living the life at Lunars house with a girl!)

Thanks

I am glad everything worked out well for you Jate!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NOHR669.com Protect your rights! Don't let the bill pass!

Thanks

Great! Glad she is doing well after the tail dropping ordeal. I really do believe she is much better off now. The tail base is so much less risky than that necrotic flesh on her tail was.

Good luck to you.. and her recovery to a cute little frogger butt chica
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Thanks

Looking at that tail. You made a good choice. I wonder what I will do when I have to face the same problem. Happy the girl is doing so well and I think clean, well washed moss is a good idea to try and make her a lay spot.
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com