Here is a tank that I have been working on for the last few weeks. I just put the finishing touches on it last night and wanted to share a few pics of the build. I think I learn something new every tank I do. There are definitely things that I'll do differently next time; this is my first attempt at hinges, latches, etc. making this a "prototype" tank.
The tank itself is a 55 gallon fish breeder tank turned upright. I used hinges and latches from Home Depot; most of the vines and plants are from Joanne Fabrics. I've found that its cheaper than going to the pet store and getting something equivalent.
The tank had a divider in the center; I chose to make the door the full size of the top half and a smaller screen and "viewing window" on the bottom. There is also a support on the bottom of the tank that you can't see in the picture. Rather than having the only contact points the plastic top and bottom of the tank (remember its tipped up on its side), I had a bracket welded to set on the glass portion of the tank for better support; its covered in rubberized undercoating to prevent scratches on the tank and whatever surface the tank is sitting on. Of course there is G.S. for the back wall with a few ledges that I made from styrofoam.
I would like to get away from the G.S. because its to difficult to cover it completely. If there is anything else anyone could suggest, that would be awesome. I did see someone that used grout (forgot who) and I may try that in the future. I already have my next tank but was planning on doing a live vivarium with that one. Here are the pics.
Fit Frame and Lower Screen
Handle w/Rubberized undercoating, Frame Stained (I would have sanded better but I was in a hurry. You can still see the glue in the corners .)
Ledges, Branch and Long Vine in place and covered with G.S. The visible styrofoam is just for support while the G.S. drys.
Finished Tank waiting for its Inhabitants!
Let me know what you guys think, and as always I love constructive criticism!!