Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chahoua X Crested Breeder

Thanks

Default Chahoua X Crested Breeder

Hi,
    My name is Kim Larson, I live in South East, Michigan and I have belonged to Pangea for about a year but have never posted. I have been asked about my Chahoua X Crested Hybrids. I'm not a good or a fast typist so I like to keep it short, if I can.

I've been breeding these Hybrids for a couple/few years now, yes, they are fertile, but I think most people know that.

What you may not know, from what I'm hearing is, not all F1's are male. I have bred two F1 females and 2 female Hybrid X Cresteds, (what would that be F2's)? Now I'm working on breeding Hybrid to Hybrid and a Hybrid back to Chahoua, and the 25% X 75% Crested to each other. I believe it might take 2 to 3 years for these female Hybrids to mature just like the Chahoua females. They aren't easy to breed and hatch and the Hybrid X Crested cross seems to be even harder. Here's a picture of a pair of Hybrids I'm working with. Thanks for your interest in these, sorry it took so long in getting them posted on here. Kim
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks

Hey, I've actually seen these in person! THEY ARE INCREDIBLE.
    She has the most insane looking hybreds in the world! Believe me those pictures do those geckos NO justice

Thanks

Awesome! Orange boy is really beautiful. How many babies have you successfully hatched?? First time I've ever seen a hybrid. Nice job!

Thanks

Thanks, Armen, he has seen them at the Reptile Show I set up at.
    I've hatched about 15 or so, and about 6 or 7 Hybrid X Crested. Thanks for the kind words, after all the crap I've taken for breeding these, it's nice, that some people, see them the way I do.

Kim

Thanks

Those are some nice geckos, I really like the first one. Is it hard to breed the hybrids, because I have a two year old male Chahoua and a 45 gram female crested? If I house them in the same cage will they breed?
    http://gbgeckos.webs.com/

Rhacodactylus, Eublepharis, Nephrurus, Phyllurus, Phelsuma, Blaesodactylus, Uroplatus, Ebenavia, Matoatoa, Geckoella, Quedenfeldtia, Rhoptropus, Pachydactylus, Alsophylax, Cyrtopodion, Mediodactylus

Thanks

do you have the parents of your orange boy?? he is handsome!!
    0.2.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus Pebbles & Radar
    0.0.1 T roborowskii
    0.3 Lepidodactylus lugubris lucy, lucy, lucy
    0.1 weiner dog(Phoebe)[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Kim,
    would you be able to post larger photos? i'm sure that may of us would like to get a better look at your animals. do you sell your hybrids? what do you call them? i am very curious about how they are handled as far as who buys them and what they are sold as. maybe you just keep all the hybrids since they are harder to breed and you probably don't have many... would you care to elaborate? i am just curious... being relatively new to rhacs.
    THANKS!
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Thanks

Yes, they can be hard to breed as well as get to hatch. I've had babies born deformed, die in the shell because of having no egg tooth, and not being able to get out of the shell, the matix can be very thick. Sure, I wouldn't mind putting bigger pictures on here but I didn't think I could? If you look in the forum archives you'll see a picture of one of my babies taken at the Reptile Show Matt and me are at. I think it was a friend of Matts that took it, it's very close and very good.
    Yes, I do sell them sometimes, can't keep them all. I have 2 males for sale in trades for 600.00 each. I just sold one a couple of months back to a guy who said he is in charge of the Reptiles department at a zoo, and before that to a well known Reptile guy.
    Yes, if you put them together (better in the spring) they may mate, or not, you never know.
    I still have the female and maybe the male. I say maybe, because I had two males and I sold one. This is what I did.....I had two Chahoua males and got about 10 virgin Crested females (some from matt). I would switch males every 2 weeks or so and give the other male a rest. I fed very well with crickets and Crested Diet. I got a lot of eggs, but not a lot of babies. Right now I just call them Hybrids, but I do need to come up with something bacause there are the Hybrid X Crested ones too, it gets confusing.
    Kim

Thanks

Very nice Kim!!

I don't mind the hybrids. I have "thought" about doing it as well. BUT, I do know that it's hard to get them to hatch and it's not a high success rate.

Congrats on the hybrids you have!! Your ORANGE one is beautiful!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ JENN ~
    1 Daughter ~
    1 Chihuahua Cookie
    1.2 Pine Isle Chahouas Shrek Sugar & Spice
    1.2 Cresteds MrGoodbar Lollipop TootsieRoll
    1.0 Gargoyle Wyvern (Living the life at Lunars house with a girl!)

Thanks

Thank you Jenn, and thanks to everyone. I didn't really doing anything but play match maker. I should tell you I did try to breed Cresteds and Gargoyles for a little while, every egg was bad and it didn't look good, so I stopped trying.
    I have heard about breeding Leachies and Chahouas, I haven't tried it. I do have Leachies and did have a spare Chahoua male, but I just didn't like the sound of it. I just thought someone would get hurt, and I love my guys.
    Hey, Jenn....tell your hubby thanks for going over and thanks to you too, so many forget about the spouse.
    Kim