Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (I need some info) Anyone growing moss with good results in the viv?

Thanks

Default (I need some info) Anyone growing moss with good results in the viv?

I need some help here please. Is anyone here growing sphagnum moss successfully? I did some searching on the net and came up with mixed results/info.

I finished up my new viv and placed some frog moss (sphagnum moss I think) on the viv floor.

The frog moss is turning brown. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Too much water or not enough light??? Here is a pic. Any info,help and/or web links would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!!

PS if I've made a mistake on the classification of this moss please correct me. The original package was from Exo Terra Frog Moss.
    PPS Almost forgot. I am using a Reptiglow 5.0 UV (tropical bulb). Its rated at 13watts. But since its a CFL the 13watts = about 60watts incandescent. I just ordered a 26watt (100watts incandescent).

* I also read that minerals in water can turn moss brown and also kill them. Ive been using Nestle water which has minerals in it. Im gonna switch.
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 09-17-2008 at 01:23 PM.
    1 male named Cannoli
    1 female named Cappuccino
    2 eggs incubating

Thanks

yea i have bought that bagged moss, and it didnt grow either. i believe its dead when you get it, really who knows how long it has been in that bag. im about to start growing some kyoto moss, from what ive read thats the way to go.
    2.1.0 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus Jasper, Taz, Hunter
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus Chahoua [PI](unnamed)
    1.1.0 Holland lop Marley, Ella

Thanks

Where are you gonna get it from? Also do you have any info for me on lighting? I would greatly apreciate it. Thanks
    1 male named Cannoli
    2 eggs incubating

Thanks

ditto on brown frog moss...i do have an order of tropical live moss coming from black jungle terrarium supply tomorow.

Thanks

Anyone else would like to share their knowledge and/or experience please?
    Anyone growing any live moss in their vivs? If so what kind and what are its requirements for growth? Thanks
    1 male named Cannoli
    2 eggs incubating

Thanks

i got my kyoto moss spores from a local garden supply store it was in the bonsia section. the company name is Joshua Roth it was like 5 bucks for a small baggie and it had growing instructions. i was thinking about growing it in my terrarium but i figured my geckos would trample all over it and slow its growth or kill it, so i am going to start it in a extra 10 gal with the same substrate (coco fiber) and once its grown ill transport it. www.dendroboard.com has alot of info about it.

Thanks

I've tried many times with no good results...

I was just recently taking a botany and a systematic botany class and my professor was an expert on bryophytes (mosses) and he told me that it is really really hard to grow mosses in captivity, you need the perfect conditions for it to grow.

Saying that, I have seen some awesome tanks that had moss growing in them, so there is always a chance.

Good luck!
    Ryan Kennedy
    Rapture Reptiles

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RIKennedy View Post
    I've tried many times with no good results...

I was just recently taking a botany and a systematic botany class and my professor was an expert on bryophytes (mosses) and he told me that it is really really hard to grow mosses in captivity, you need the perfect conditions for it to grow.

Saying that, I have seen some awesome tanks that had moss growing in them, so there is always a chance.

Good luck!
    Ugh!
    I hear ya. I talked to some dude at Black Jungle.com (very helpful guy). He told me it might be difficult to grow moss in a crested setup. He told me tropical moss needs constant humidity of 80% and good lighting. Im gonna buy some live tropical moss from them and see how it goes. I've built a waterfall with a small pool (filled with rocks to keep it very shallow). I'll try and place the moss around it.

If anyone else has been groing moss for a long period of time in theor tank please chime in. I'll take any info I can get. Thanks
    1 male named Cannoli
    2 eggs incubating

Thanks

i have some interesting news about the frog moss that i think zoo med sells. i had helped my brother set up a natural tank about 2 months ago and we placed some of that moss around a "pond" in the tank. it seemed to die within a week, but we didnt have a crestie ready to live in it yet so we left it in there to see what would happen. this past weekend i went back home, to bring my brother the crestie that will live in the tank. to my amazement the moss has started to sprout out of the dead plant. we have a light (just a typical reptile light no special UVA/UVB bulb.) that its more or less directly under and other than that it has pretty much been forgotten about. so i wanted to let everyone know about that. maybe try growing it in a seperate tank at first since it looked like crap for a long time. from what i have read and from seeing this tank the moss getting the most light is growing the best, so that may be a factor why alot of peoples moss dies. the moss not getting any direct light did not re-sprout.

Thanks

I'm growing Riccia in mine, a buddy has some in his dart tank and it looks great.