Thread: CG Substrate

Thanks

Default CG Substrate

After reading plenty of care sheets tank size & temps are understood. I was thinking about adding live plants: ficus/pothos/schefflera. For substrate would half black regular top soil mixed with Miracle Grow Organic potting soil would work. The idea is to turn over the substrate say ever week with just a fork to mix the poop, the plants would use this as fert and voila easy self maintaing environment. The only issue would be watering the roots of each plant so i don't make a muddy mess, no sure if small pebbles in the bottom first with window screen then the soil mixture would be better. The live plants would also help with humidity levels. Any thoughts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 06Honda View Post
    After reading plenty of care sheets tank size & temps are understood. I was thinking about adding live plants: ficus/pothos/schefflera. For substrate would half black regular top soil mixed with Miracle Grow Organic potting soil would work. The idea is to turn over the substrate say ever week with just a fork to mix the poop, the plants would use this as fert and voila easy self maintaing environment. The only issue would be watering the roots of each plant so i don't make a muddy mess, no sure if small pebbles in the bottom first with window screen then the soil mixture would be better. The live plants would also help with humidity levels. Any thoughts.

You do not want to add fertilizers to anything you use for animals. You should use a 100% organic soil if you want to do a living setup. Can put coco fiber over the soil for a better look if you choose to and with using live plants you should before transplanting the plants into the living viv, make sure that you clean to root of the plant well before planting them in the organic soils.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NOHR669.com Protect your rights! Don't let the bill pass!

Thanks

Hey, I just went and read threw this post here. I don't know what exactly a Miracle Grow Organic fertilizer is ????

I have never heard of it, and I wouldn't recommend it and by using it I believe you are taking a chance. You will have to keep up updated on the out come of using it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

A lot of people use the Miracle Grow Organic in their natural set-ups. Do a forum search for "miracle organic" and you can read about the success they have had, as well as some other options people have used. I use potting soil mixed with peat moss and sand.
    7.6.11.2 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Gargoyle Gecko
    0.1.0 Corn Snake
    1.2.0 Ball Pythons
    2.0.0 Cats
    1.1.0 Dogs

Thanks

James - I think you got confused, luv. Miracle Grow Organic is organic potting soil with no chemical additives or any kind of crap in it. I've used it in a number of tanks and will occasionally add it to my layboxes... It's good stuff!
    .megs.
    Proud slave to...
    //R.ciliatus.auriculatus.leachianus//P.regius//E.guttata//T.carolina.triunguis//F.catus//
    I'll meet my match when I'm dead. - Steve Irwin

Thanks

I see, anything with the name miracle grow on it doesn't see organic to me. Now I understand... Just another organic soil. I apologize for my miss understanding.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Great dicussion, thanks for the input. Now that I think about it Eco Complete would work too. I will search the miracle organic in the forum. Tanks alot.