Thread: "I'll help you?" - Gecko Midwife

Thanks

Default "I'll help you?" - Gecko Midwife

Does anyone else have a gecko midwife?

My red and yellow/cream flame, Era, is my gecko midwife. No kidding. At first, it started out with her watching the other two girls ("Green Lady" until I find a better name to call her, and Sakura), in the nest box. She would literally sit on top of the nest box, poke her head down in the hole, and watch them very closely every time they laid eggs. She's laid her own, and they never lay around the same time, so she's not wanting to use the next box.

Well, this week it's escalated to "helping" though I'm not sure how much she's helping versus annoying the other girls. They don't seem to be too bothered by her. So, the Green Lady was in the nest box to lay a clutch, and Era decided she needed to help, and climbed right in and started digging with her. She's cooling now, and hasn't been gravid for two months, and she's not now, so she wasn't digging for herself.

She is such an odd gecko. Does anyone else have one like her?

Thanks

That's really cute sounding... of course I wouldn't know anything about it though, since I don't have breeding cresties. (Just paired up Chahouas who are currently breeding).
    But, I had to comment on how cute that sounds!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ JENN ~
    1 Daughter ~
    1 Chihuahua Cookie
    1.2 Pine Isle Chahouas Shrek Sugar & Spice
    1.2 Cresteds MrGoodbar Lollipop TootsieRoll
    1.0 Gargoyle Wyvern (Living the life at Lunars house with a girl!)

Thanks

I've noticed a few occasions like that with my girls and it makes me laugh. I wonder if it just hits an instinctual response with them to start digging? Even though they are laying at different intervals now, I've noticed that female geckos that live in the same enclosure will start to match egg cycles and use the same lay site to deposit their eggs after awhile. My girls also help their tankmates shed, but I think that's more their stomachs talking than them trying to do a good deed.
    ~*~*Mandy*~*~

Thanks

I have a seasoned breeder female in a 60 gallon with 3 near adult holdbacks all around 30 grams and some beginning to lay duds. Every time she lays she has a new hitch-hiker along for the dig. It seems like shes showing them the ropes
    ~ Cheers,Mandy

www.crestedjunkie.com

Thanks

I have only noticed this from my oldest breeder who watches and then jumps in. It's a very attentive eye on the female laying. Never stuck around to see her jump in and help dig. Very interesting.
    It's a popcorn season!

Thanks

Hahahaha, glad I'm not the only one! Regardless, I think Era is very cute in her "helping".

Thanks

Yes, I told you about my lavender lady that had to get IN the box with Nana to "help" her lay eggs. I don't think she was digging, but she was definitely bothering her for 2 days BEFORE she got in the box with her.
    12.15.4.5 Crested geckos; 1.1 Gargoyle geckos; 1.1 Leopard geckos; 1.1 Fat-tailed geckos; 2.0 Viper geckos; 1.0 male dwarf rabbit; lots of fish

Thanks

my little hunchback does that too!!!! i think it is one of those "those who can't do teach" type of things with her though, she isn't cpable of laying eggs becuase she had really bad mbd when i got her (thus "little hunchback" her name is izzey)But man does she like to help out with buliding nests, and she won't just do one, but like six of them, and then the gravid girls will choose one. it cracks me up!!!! and she digs them REALLY deep, so i can always tell when she was the one who made the spot... poor thing!