Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gargoyle that simply refuses to eat?

Thanks

That is very good news. Keep us tuned in.
    It's a popcorn season!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jateui View Post
    Alright, he's eating a little bit now. Maybe it just took him a while to get used to it. But I managed to see him eating a bit of the CGD I put in there last night. I also found evidence that he's been eating, so I'm bringing that to the vet in a bit. Thanks for all the help guys!
    Good to hear, geckos can go quite awhile without eating
    -Justin-

Leachianus - Chahoua - Ciliatus

http://www.facebook.com/JTReptile

Thanks

Default Hmm

I tried hand feeding him twice today (This morning, and again just a couple minutes ago).
    I'm glad you've got him to eat a bit! I just thought I would point out that hand feeding usually works better at night or when the gecko is active. You mentioned trying to feed him in the morning...I wouldn't be very enthusiastic if someone woke me up and tried stuffing food in me! Also, I found that once a gecko gets used to handling and does not seem very stressed during it, they are more willing to eat from you.

Good luck with it!
    1.1.6 Rhacodactylus cilliatus
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus leachianus

Thanks

The morning for me was at 6am. The house was still dark and everybody, including the gargoyle, were moving around. I was hoping to get him to eat before he went to sleep so he couldn't have time to work it out of his system and would hopefully just store most of it.

But the vet said he doesnt have any parasites and it was likely stress from the move that kept him from eating. So I guess he'll be fine, but I'm going to keep a good eye on him.

Thanks

I figured out the source of this whole mess.
    For some reason, the place I got him from never told me that they fed him baby food. That's why he's been so picky, he's used to that stuff.

So I'm mixing a bit of baby food in with the CGD to see if that works. He's also doing better with the hand feeding. Hopefully he'll make a speedy recovery now

Thanks

He isn't even showing interest in baby food. I tried multiple flavors, both with and without the calcium powder.
    I figured out the source of this whole mess.
    For some reason, the place I got him from never told me that they fed him baby food. That's why he's been so picky, he's used to that stuff.

So I'm mixing a bit of baby food in with the CGD to see if that works. He's also doing better with the hand feeding. Hopefully he'll make a speedy recovery now
    ?? i'm confused

Thanks

Hahah, sorry for the confusion.

They only fed him pear flavor, which for some reason the store nearby never carries. I picked it up in the town over just today.
    He ate some of the baby food, so I just added some of the CGD with it. And he ate some of that aswell, so I guess it's just the flavor of it that he was being so picky about.

Whatever the case, he's eating now.

Thanks

Hahah, sorry for the confusion.

They only fed him pear flavor, which for some reason the store nearby never carries. I picked it up in the town over just today.
    He ate some of the baby food, so I just added some of the CGD with it. And he ate some of that aswell, so I guess it's just the flavor of it that he was being so picky about.

Whatever the case, he's eating now.
    I know that getting an animal to eat can be stressful not only to the animal but you. With that said allowing the animal to get comfortable in it's new surroundings and eating regularly is your number one concern right now. If the animal eats as much of the baby food/cgd mixture as it does the regular baby food then you are probably already in somewhat of a head start. Baby food is not a complete diet. The diet causes Metabolic Bone Disease. Something that nearly always results in death.

When you are comfortable with the animals eating habits and able to track weight of the animal I recommend introducing Crested Gecko Diet into the pear baby food in a gradual increase. By this I mean for one or two weeks adding 25% cgd into the pear baby food and then the week or weeks after adding 50% cgd to the pear baby food and then the following week or weeks adding 75% cgd and then finally in the following weeks offering only cgd. Tracking weight all the way.

You do not want to do this until the animal is comfortable and consistently eating the pear baby food. Every time you offer the baby food you want to make sure you are supplementing with the calcium bicarbonate powder. Also, a UVA/UVB light will not hurt. In fact the gargoyles are in the open in low brush in the wild and exposed to light. In diurnal animals and some nocturnal animals such as R. leachianus henkeli are known to bask in the sun which aids in calcium absorption at the appropriate levels. Much like supplementing vitamin d3 with the calcium bicarbonate. Good luck and keep us updated.
    It's a popcorn season!