Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gargoyle that simply refuses to eat?

Thanks

Default Gargoyle that simply refuses to eat?

My garg is starting to get some tail kinks.
    I hate that I didn't notice them before. It's hard to tell with his pattern, and I don't mess with him much. (He's still quite untame and unpredictable. I don't want to risk him getting out of my hand and hiding under my bed or something)

I spoke to the guy I got him from and found out the garg has pretty much refused CGD from the start. He was eating gut-loaded dusted dubias.
    He doesn't show any interest in worms (mealworms or waxworms), crickets, or his crested gecko food, although it did seem like he ate a bit of it before.
    And I'm not noticing any signs of him eating. I cleaned the cage 2 days ago, and since then, I haven't found any droppings.

Should I just wait it out and hope he starts eating the diet? Dubias are hard to get here, and I'd have to travel about 2 hours to get some. And I'd prefer not to use them in case some get loose. Are there other types of worms they seem to eat more?

He's currently 33 grams. Sadly my scale wasn't working when I got him, so I can't tell if he lost weight. But he seems to be the same size he was when I got him.

Thanks

Mix up some cgd and gently dab some on your finger and then his/her mouth allowing the gecko to lick it up. Do this repeatedly always placing the food back in the cage in a elevated place if possible. If there is poop then you may want to take it to the vet and have them check the fecal for worms, parasites and the like which may be causing the lack of appetite. Good luck.
    It's a popcorn season!

Thanks

try some thawed pinkie mice and dab it on his mouth
    It is truly an upside-down world we live in where lies are truths, criminals are our nationsí leaders, and Satanís minions are considered men of God.

Thanks

also, make sure he has water available at all times and if you can't get him to eat the diet try some oraganic peach baby food and or turkey baby food mixed with calcium/vitamins. Good luck!
    It is truly an upside-down world we live in where lies are truths, criminals are our nationsí leaders, and Satanís minions are considered men of God.

Thanks

Dang, every garg I have will just sit there and lap the food up even when I have them in my hands. Good luck with him!
    -Justin-

Leachianus - Chahoua - Ciliatus

http://www.facebook.com/JTReptile

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jtmoney View Post
    Dang, every garg I have will just sit there and lap the food up even when I have them in my hands. Good luck with him!
    All the gargs I raise are like this but I did pick up a garg from a breeder and it did not eat crickets. I tried everything under the sun even pinkie mice and it was a no go. I did the finger dab and got a fecal. It checked out and the gargoyle did too. Good luck buddy.
    It's a popcorn season!

Thanks

my gargoyle twix was raised on that gecko gourmet powder stuff and won't eat the CGD unless i hand feed it, which i do every time now, as that is the only way she gains weight. she usually won't touch live food.

Thanks

I tried hand feeding him twice today (This morning, and again just a couple minutes ago). Every time, he spazzed out. He'd panic when I put a little bit on the side of his mouth, and would squirm around like I'm trying to pull a limb off. So I've just put him back in the tank to let him settle down. I'm afraid of stressing him out so much that he just won't bother eating.

He isn't even showing interest in baby food. I tried multiple flavors, both with and without the calcium powder. This morning it looked like he may have eaten a little bit of his food, but it looks more like he just stepped in it. Tomorrow I'll see if I can get some dubias for him and possibly pick up more CGD flavors to see if any of those work.

Thanks

Alright, he's eating a little bit now. Maybe it just took him a while to get used to it. But I managed to see him eating a bit of the CGD I put in there last night. I also found evidence that he's been eating, so I'm bringing that to the vet in a bit. Thanks for all the help guys!

Thanks

that is good news!