Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: >:-( *grrrr* Harry Potter pushed to July!!!!

Thanks

Default >:-( *grrrr* Harry Potter pushed to July!!!!

Anyone else here share my aggravation???
    It was supposed to be coming out in November!!!! Now I have to wait almost a whole year to go see it!
    It hurt too that when I went to the movies yesterday... they had the preview for Harry Potter still advertising as coming this November! Agh!
    As if it wasn't bad enough they changed actors for teen/young adult Tom Riddle (we won't have the same (handsome) guy who played Tom Riddle in Chamber of Secrets *grumble*)......
    Hopefully the movie ends up being awesome enough to make up for delaying it so darn much.
    ~www.CrestieCafe.com~
    4.4.10 Crested Geckos (Deku, Charmander, Zebes, Scampi, Gemron, Mocha, Tiramisu, Chozo, & the hatchlings)
    Eggs currently in incubation: 8

Thanks

But the movies are sooo disappointing (if you've read the books). After they cut #3 so badly and left out the best part of the story (Harry's parents) I just lost all interest.

Thanks

Yes I've read the books and adore them!
    But with almost any book that's made to film, there are a lot of things left out and modified. That didn't only happen with harry Potter. But it doesn't mean the films can't be enjoyed on their own
    If I had to base whether I enjoy films or not on how true they are to their original stories I'd have to refrain from watching pretty much every film I ever enjoyed like The Little Mermaid, Beauty & The Beast, The Princess Bride, the Wizard of Oz, Peter Pan, the Last Unicorn, Robin Hood, etc. etc. etc.
    A good chunk of movies are just edited-for-film adaptations of already existing stories.

If anyone wants to see a real abomination of how much a movie can leave out from the book, they should watch and read 'The Neverending Story'. One of my favorite books ever. I always loved the movie though since I was a kid, but it's completely different than the novel. The author of the novel hated the film cause they changed it so much.

I think the Harry Potter films, even if- like every other movie- have to leave stuff out in the film version, still gets the story across good enough and the films are enjoyable IMO.
    ~www.CrestieCafe.com~
    4.4.10 Crested Geckos (Deku, Charmander, Zebes, Scampi, Gemron, Mocha, Tiramisu, Chozo, & the hatchlings)

Thanks

i dont like harry pothead.....
    2 leachies, 10 Crested geckos, 2 wiener dogs

Check out my facebook page for current availability and toss me a like or two!
    https://www.facebook.com/MistedCresteds

Thanks

wow, you liked the book version of The Princess Bride better than the movie?! (I practically have the movie dialogue memorized). I thought the book was horribly depressing. I felt like the author has this HUGE chip on his shoulder against the entire world.

I was disappointed that the release date for HBP was pushed back; the trailer was thoroughly creepy! The kid who's playing young Tom Riddle is so perfect for the part!

Thanks

I didn't say I liked the Princess Bride book *better* than the film. Princess bride is one of my favorite movies ever. But it's edited and changed from the book. That was the point I was trying to make in my post...
    That ALL movies based on books are different than the book but it's no reason why we shouldn't like the movies.
    If we had to base liking movies on whether or not they are true to the books, then we couldn't like any book-based movies at all b/c there is always things changed.
    Sometimes the books are better, sometimes the movies are better. But they are always different.

I guess it bugs me that I *only* seem to see this argument about Harry Potter. People always say that they don't like the movies b/c they are changed from the books... while at the same time not realizing that many of the movies they like are films that are untrue to their books.
    I don't base my love for movies on whether they match the books perfectly or not. I like them for what they are.
    And, yes, while I would prefer if we could have each Harry Potter movie be 5+ hours each to include the entire books... it's unfortunately not the way it could be. So I will enjoy the films for what they are, and read the books when I want to experience all the left-out stuff

My main Harry Potter disappointment, while we're on the subject lol, was the 4th movie. Not b/c it was changed but b/c they could have included some of the cooler stuff if they didn't waste so much time on the dance. IMO the dance could have been much more easily sacrificed out of the film to add more into the tournament.
    ~www.CrestieCafe.com~

Thanks

I agree about the 4th Potter movie, Nintendo.
    Neverending Story is a far far better book than the abysmal films they made, (though the first film wasn't as hideous as the subsequent ones. )
    I have the original hardback, printed in red and green ink.

Films can very successfully be "different" from the original books and work!
    Case in point: Original "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" vs. the newer Tim Burton's "Charlie and the Chocolate factory."

Love the original film, and even though in some ways vastly different from the book, the author Roald Dahl was consulted for the screenplay in the original.
    And the differences work!

Burton's version tried to stay much truer to the original book in some ways, though they added a bunch of crap about "young Willy Wonka" and took all the enigma out of the charater which I thought sucked.
    In short, I hated the Burton version and I wish he and never bothered with it!

But I loved the original book and the original film though they were very different to each other.

We'll see what happens with the new Potter film. I'm sad about the inconsistency of who plays what part, I mean they went to all the trouble to keep casting Radcliff as Harry, Watson as Hermoine, etc etc., so why can't they have the same guy play Tom Riddle?
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Thanks for ruining my day! No I hadn't heard that yet. Oh well we have no choice I wonder if they will hold up the video game also? Yes I have every one and love them. It is a blast to roam the halls of Hogwarts and wear my cloak and hide (oops I mean have Harry you get the pic totaly addicted!
    I also have to say that I can't think of one movie that comes close to the book. Some do a better job than others, some make you want to read or reread the book, others kill it. All Harry movies thus far I think of done a great job. Yes they have left some things out but I also think they know that it is us diehards that are the first in line and we already know all the little stuff so we don't have to see everything.
    Carlos shame on you! There is no reason to hate the poor orphan wizard, but i still like ya
    Sandy
    7.6.8.0 Crested Gecko 1.1.3 Gargoyle Gecko
    0.1.0 Pine Island Chahoua 0.1.0 Bearded Dragon
    My sweet meow meow I miss you!
    1.0 Painted Turtle Squirt

Thanks

I looked forward to the first two HP movies, but after that I lost interest in them. As others have said, they're nothing compared to the books, but also, I just think that as movies themselves, they don't stack up that well (I've taken people who don't know the books well to them, and they're left with a lot of questions, often because of poor editing/too much cut out).

They're decent time-wasters, though I don't mind waiting for them to come to the bargain theater to catch them.

And I've heard the argument of "book is better than movie" about many more movies than just HP. It basically comes down to this: you read a book, and get a set idea of how things should look or act. Watching a movie is seeing how someone _else_ (the director/whatever) interprets the same world. They more often than not do not match up, and it ends up being a disappointment for many.

Thanks

Also agree, JB, which is why I generally try and see a movie before reading the book because there's less chance for disappointment.
    I can always watch the "movie in my own head" with my own version of how I interpret the characters/scenery when I read a good book.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas