Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Buddy

Thanks

Default Shoulder Buddy

I want a gecko that can sit on my shoulder and hang out, I love my cresteds but they are so jumpy........ Which would be the best? Chahoua maybe ?
    2.2.2crested geckos 1 ambilobe Cham
    1.1 PI chahoua 1.2 leachie 1 leopard gecko 1.0 Bearded Dragon 1.0 Hamster 0.2 Tortoises 1 possum
    1.2 KSBoa

http://www.iherp.com/cslinca

Thanks

Typically I would not rely on a gecko becoming tame enough to sit on your shoulder because they are generally active animals. It can arguably happen, but it really depends more on the individual animal rather than species. Remember that reptiles typically don't enjoy being handled, although some may tolerate it more than others. Since Rhacodactylus geckos can and will take massive blind leaps at the slightest warning, I would be careful about walking around with one high up on your shoulder, no matter how calm he or she may seem. Many of them can take a fall with little to no damage but the odds of them hurting themselves upon impact or landing on something dangerous are high.

In terms of overall "tameness" I would say that chahouas would perhaps be your best bet, however I have other geckos, including cresteds that are just as placid and tolerate being handled for longer periods.
    ~*~*Mandy*~*~

Thanks

I would have to say that I'm one of the few lucky ones that have chahouas that ALL sit on my shoulders for hours at a time, licking my neck, hanging out on me! I do walk around with them on me, or have them on my late at night to watch TV or be on the computer. My chahouas are very tame and mellow though!! I've had them fall asleep on me many times before even.
    My chahouas were handled a lot by the person who had them prior to me. I handle them a TON. So they are use to being handled and held for long time periods.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ JENN ~
    1 Daughter ~
    1 Chihuahua Cookie
    1.2 Pine Isle Chahouas Shrek Sugar & Spice
    1.2 Cresteds MrGoodbar Lollipop TootsieRoll
    1.0 Gargoyle Wyvern (Living the life at Lunars house with a girl!)

Thanks

I have to agree with it being an individual animal thing ...as I have a Crested that will hang out with me for as long as I'll allow it ...that's my big girl, Lucille! In the past, I had another ...a frog butt rescued boy named JabberWocky ..and he gardened in the backyard and everything ...for hours! Of course, he was very content to hide in the huge bun of hair that I have, too.

I don't have any other Rhacs here, so no personal experience ...but I am pretty sure it depends on the particular animal and not the species, as said.

Good luck finding a great shoulder jockey!
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Thanks

A bearded dragon, not a gecko. Yes, it is an individual animal thing, but risking having a gecko on your shoulder to "hang out" opens the door to potential disaster. If the gecko decides to jump for any reason, a hard fall would be catastrophic. Jen may have exceptions to the rule as far as the animals being that docile, but personally I wouldn't risk it for the safety of the animal, nevermind the investment!

Thanks

I should add to this..... I have people ask me at shows (no lie) "Does it do tricks? Will it play with toys?" Ugh.... CSlinca, I don't know what your intention is with wanting a gecko that sits on your shoulder, but I see people all the time that want an animal just to impress their friends or say "Look at ME!". For the record, the price of my animals goes to infinity when I spot someone like that at a show. I'll stand by my "for the safety of the animal" comment and say not to do it. Whenm you eventually do have a critter that shows personality and an air of placidity, and you have handled it significantly to the point where the animal tolerates it well, judge for yourself.

Thanks

Like dragontown, I do not do this eithier. I have a lot of geckos that are calm and will just sit there but still do not really risk it. Get a bearded or a snake if you want something to kind of hang out
    -Justin-

Leachianus - Chahoua - Ciliatus

http://www.facebook.com/JTReptile

Thanks

very well said mike, I agree 100%.

1 thing that comes with ownership is responsibility & ensuring the safety of all your animals.
    It is truly an upside-down world we live in where lies are truths, criminals are our nationsí leaders, and Satanís minions are considered men of God.

Thanks

With all that being said, it's not responsible to leave them in a box all of their life either. You need to find a happy medium for you and your animal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mh728 View Post
    With all that being said, it's not responsible to leave them in a box all of their life either. You need to find a happy medium for you and your animal.
    Now lets not get into keeping animals in captivity If you were worried about keeping a gecko in a enclosure, then what about zoo's keeping lions, tigers, cheetahs and whatnot in enclosures where in the wild the roam HUGE massive areas? Geckos live to eat and reproduce as all animals do really, if you are providing for them and giving them an adequate enclosure than I am sure they are plenty happy. They mainly move around in the wild in a small area unless looking for food / or to reproduce in my opinion.
    -Justin-

Leachianus - Chahoua - Ciliatus

http://www.facebook.com/JTReptile