Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About the "Search Forum" option...

Thanks

Don't forget that search terms under 4 letters long will also retrieve zero results; anything you search for unfortunately has to be over 4 letters long (this has to do with the system processes of any given forum; it takes a lot of forum power to search through every 3-letter word or less).

So yes, if you see someone asking a question about CGD or MBD or similar, please have patience with them, because things like that won't return results

Thanks

I appreciate this thread. I was kind of put off by all of the "use the search" responses when I first started viewing this forum. I'd see it often and note it.

I belong to two other forums currently, and have belonged to others in the past and I've never seen this elsewhere.

I understand why people say it, but it seemed excessive.

Maybe people would ask the same questions less if a FAQ by forum category would be stickied in that forum that answered the common questions that are asked.
    Last edited by belle; 08-09-2008 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Repeated myself :P

Thanks

I do agree that a FAQ (frequently asked questions) would help folks out to some degree - unfortunately, they tend to be a lot of work and often get ignored (I put a little effort into a small acronym FAQ and people still skip it and ask questions answered in it). It is part of being on the intertubes, I guess

Thanks

Jennsenn, I don't think you're rude or anything like that! As I said I'm referring to nobody specifically, just more of a site mentality of "you shouldn't ask, you should search," which is sometimes good but not always as helpful as it could be. Even keyword suggestions would be good.

When I try to use the search feature I have trouble getting "0 results" on words that should bring stuff up, even things like "geckos," or the page might take a long time to load and then "page not found" at me. It does work sometimes, but maybe it's because I'm on during the busy hour? I don't know.

I think referring people to a FAQ, though, would be less "rude" than "Hey, go search it!" Hehe.

Thanks for moving this topic, Jaybee. By the way, your new icon is amazing.
    Dagan. Illumination Exotics Facebook. iHerp. Artwork.
    ~Illumination Exotics~

Thanks

perhaps the forum rules should be bumped? when you click on them, the topics are too old to show up automatically
    http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...ead.php?t=7614

i myself mention the search frequently, but always offer something else with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aethelred View Post
    When I try to use the search feature I have trouble getting "0 results" on words that should bring stuff up, even things like "geckos," or the page might take a long time to load and then "page not found" at me. It does work sometimes, but maybe it's because I'm on during the busy hour? I don't know.
    common words like "geckos" create far too broad of a search, and bring up the first 500 results. it could not be working for you because you are bogging your computer down by not being specific enough.

Thanks

Another good thing for everyone to do is be more specific when titling their threads. This makes the Search function work more efficiently at getting what you want.

For example, instead of titling your thread "Crestie health concern"...make it more specific like "Question on Entamoeba invadens in crested geckos". Then, if someone is searching for topics or posts on Entamoeba, they will see that title and it might better match what they are looking for. I know if it were me, I'd skip right over the one titled "crestie health concern" because I have no idea what it might be about. Granted that is just an example and may not be exactly as others would do it, but it's just to give an idea.

The search function is meant to be a simple way of finding information quickly. If things aren't at least somewhat organized, that doesn't happen like it should.

...just thought I'd make that suggestion for folks to think about
    Kyle J. Salzmann
    Check out Gekkonidazed Geckos on Facebook!
    www.gekkonidazed.com
    New to shipping reptiles? Use ShipYourReptiles.com and save! Enter code Dazed40 at checkout and get 40% off your 1st shipment!

Thanks

that is a good suggestion, kyle.

also, it helps to search "entire posts" instead of "titles only." and i haven't tried it, but there is a "sort results by relevancy" option which may be effective when dealing with numerous threads.

also, out of curiosity, how many people use the "tag" feature? i only just noticed it.

Thanks

As Amber said, using very common words may sometimes cause the forum to time-out because it has to return every single instance of the common word. I would like to encourage you to enter a second search term when searching a wide topic like "geckos" or "food." It could help the forum run more smoothly for you, and may bring the search results down to a more manageable amount for you

And... I'm still personally trying to figure out how to search within the tagging system, heh. But I do try to add a few key-words when I start a new thread.

Thanks

Well i am not getting you kindly PM me i`ll tell you about anything..