Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About the "Search Forum" option...

Thanks

Default About the "Search Forum" option...

Sorry, I wasn't sure whether I should post this in off topic or here, but I'm posting it here because this is the forum where I see it happen the most.

I understand the desire to tell people to "search forum" instead of posting, but after a while it gets VERY ANNOYING to constantly read posts that say this and nothing else. It's nice to be helpful and offer that advice, but give something else along with it, anything, even a compliment on a picture or some advice for whatever the problem was.

I mean, come on, this is a FORUM isn't it? Of course we're going to see lots of the same topics all the time. Otherwise there'd be nothing to discuss.

Also, while my old computer could use that feature, my current one can't, so I find it off-putting to constantly seeing people say this when it might not even work on everyone's computers.

I don't want to offend anyone. I just felt like it should be brought up. I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but as I said...this is a forum.

Dagan. Illumination Exotics Facebook. iHerp. Artwork.
    ~Illumination Exotics~

Thanks

I have to say I agree at least to the point where I always search before I post but sometimes I need an answer and my time to be on here is limited and since either i don't know how to search for something but I can't search for more than one word. so if i am trying to find something about shedding i get every post where someone has used the word shedding. If there is something I am missing with the search feature maybe someone can give us new people a lesson on searching.
    Sandy
    7.6.8.0 Crested Gecko 1.1.3 Gargoyle Gecko
    0.1.0 Pine Island Chahoua 0.1.0 Bearded Dragon
    My sweet meow meow I miss you!
    1.0 Painted Turtle Squirt

Thanks

I know I personally do try to answer some questions, but even as you say, there are a lot of topics that are repeated that are easily covered with the search. It gets tiresome to give the same response often, and it seems robotic to cut-and-paste something I've said before.

As you say, it is a forum, but all forums I've ever been a member of have the "please try the search first!" policy.

I agree though, just plain pointing out the search tool can be a little rude - if you see someone who needs help, you can point out the search, but please make sure they feel welcome. You can even tell them some certain key words they may try searching under to help them along.

Also, if you have a certain topic you want to search for, and it's a large topic like "shedding," you can add another word to help narrow the search. Instead of just "shedding" which turns up 15 pages worth of threads, you could try "shedding moisture" which turns up just 6 specific threads

Aethelred - can you explain to me why the search does not work on your current computer? I was under the impression that it should work in all browsers that can open the forum.

Moving this to the OT forum though since this isn't specifically about geckos

Thanks

Just recently I have been telling new people here about the search function. But I do try to answer their question, and welcome them.
    I hope that I wasn't offending anyone by letting the new comers "know" about the search function.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ JENN ~
    1 Daughter ~
    1 Chihuahua Cookie
    1.2 Pine Isle Chahouas Shrek Sugar & Spice
    1.2 Cresteds MrGoodbar Lollipop TootsieRoll
    1.0 Gargoyle Wyvern (Living the life at Lunars house with a girl!)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
    I know I personally do try to answer some questions, but even as you say, there are a lot of topics that are repeated that are easily covered with the search. It gets tiresome to give the same response often, and it seems robotic to cut-and-paste something I've said before.

As you say, it is a forum, but all forums I've ever been a member of have the "please try the search first!" policy.

I agree though, just plain pointing out the search tool can be a little rude - if you see someone who needs help, you can point out the search, but please make sure they feel welcome. You can even tell them some certain key words they may try searching under to help them along.

Also, if you have a certain topic you want to search for, and it's a large topic like "shedding," you can add another word to help narrow the search. Instead of just "shedding" which turns up 15 pages worth of threads, you could try "shedding moisture" which turns up just 6 specific threads

Aethelred - can you explain to me why the search does not work on your current computer? I was under the impression that it should work in all browsers that can open the forum.

Moving this to the OT forum though since this isn't specifically about geckos
    I have NEVER been told to search for anything. I have always been answered quickly and poliety that is why I stay on this forum. I am just wondering if I am missing something with the search feature. I personally would rather find facts through the search feature first then ask questions if I don't understand.
    Sandy

Thanks

I have never NOT answered anyone.... I have just been letting newbies KNOW about the search function, since it's nice to know that it's there.

I have never had a problem with the Search... so I really don't know why some have problems with it.

But I haven't seen anyone YET that has said something about just doing a "search" and not answering a question.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ JENN ~
    1 Daughter ~
    1 Chihuahua Cookie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jennsen View Post
    Just recently I have been telling new people here about the search function. But I do try to answer their question, and welcome them.
    I hope that I wasn't offending anyone by letting the new comers "know" about the search function.
    No Jenn I have seen the posts you are talking about and I do not think that anyone would consider it rude I am trying to find out if I am missing something when I use the search feature because I get back 0 results quite often even when I know they are out there!
    Sandy

Thanks

Ohhhhh sorry I misunderstood you! (Very tired today!!) Sorry about that Sandy!

When I do a "search" ... I type in the MAIN word that I'm needing.
    Then over to the right side, you can select which "Forum Section" you want to search in.

For example:
    Search word: "Black Tail"
    Then over to the right side, change the "section" to: Rhacodactylus Health & Medical Forum".

It will pop up all the posts that have "black tail" in the Healthy & Medical section.

That's how I use the feature, and I have pretty good results with it.
    Hope that helps you all out!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ JENN ~
    1 Daughter ~
    1 Chihuahua Cookie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jennsen View Post
    Ohhhhh sorry I misunderstood you! (Very tired today!!) Sorry about that Sandy!

When I do a "search" ... I type in the MAIN word that I'm needing.
    Then over to the right side, you can select which "Forum Section" you want to search in.

For example:
    Search word: "Black Tail"
    Then over to the right side, change the "section" to: Rhacodactylus Health & Medical Forum".

It will pop up all the posts that have "black tail" in the Healthy & Medical section.

That's how I use the feature, and I have pretty good results with it.
    Hope that helps you all out!
    I will have to try that I think I search the whole forum. I also usually am searching when I should be sleeping Thanks for pointing that section out!
    Sandy

Thanks

You're welcome!
    I hope that helps everyone... it's how I search, and I find narrowing down the "sections" a great way to weed thru the stuff that does not pertain to what you are needing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ JENN ~
    1 Daughter ~
    1 Chihuahua Cookie