Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hermit crab in Gecko tank?

Thanks

Default Hermit crab in Gecko tank?

Hi, you may have read my other post, I just got my first gecko and asked some questions, well I want to use live plants in my tank and I don't know if I should plant them in eco-earth, or regular soil. But anyway someone on another forum said to keep a hermit crab in the tank for waste cleanup! Thats sounds like an awesome idea, I never would have thought of that, and didn't know that hermit crabs eat waste. Anyone else think its a good idea?

Thanks

well first off with the soil, i would recommend the eco earth most plants you will put in the cage will do fine in the coco fiber. if you do want a soil you need to get an organic soil but imho i don't think its necessary. now i have never heard of using hermit crabs in with crestie or any other lizard for that matter. i would be hesitant cuz when i was a kid i kept hermit crabs and i remember their pinch wasn't too pleasant. for a crestie that could mean serious damage. i wouldn't take the risk of one of my guys losing a toe or tail when you could get a centipede, which would probably do a better job anyways. (if hermit crabs will even fill that niche idk)
    2.1.0 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus Jasper, Taz, Hunter
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus Chahoua [PI](unnamed)
    1.1.0 Holland lop Marley, Ella

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Antoniorocko View Post
    well first off with the soil, i would recommend the eco earth most plants you will put in the cage will do fine in the coco fiber. if you do want a soil you need to get an organic soil but imho i don't think its necessary. now i have never heard of using hermit crabs in with crestie or any other lizard for that matter. i would be hesitant cuz when i was a kid i kept hermit crabs and i remember their pinch wasn't too pleasant. for a crestie that could mean serious damage. i wouldn't take the risk of one of my guys losing a toe or tail when you could get a centipede, which would probably do a better job anyways. (if hermit crabs will even fill that niche idk)
    hmm centipedes I'm thinking are really disgusting and I don't want one! lol. I already own two small hermit crabs so that would be ideal, but yeah what if they pinched my cresty? I'm thinking that the cresty probably wouldn't get close enough or bother them though to get pinched. But yeah, I don't know.... I will have to see if there are any other people out there who have done it. Yeah if plants can grow in eco-earth thats great
    So where do you get a centipede from? And don't they get pretty large or am I thinking of a millipede?
    Is there anything else thats not totally disgusting that would work? hehe.

Thanks

Are you sure a centipede would be safe? Sounds dangerous....

" Though the name 'centipede' means '100 legs', most don't have nearly that many and some have significantly more! Along with the most venomous species of scorpions, centipedes are probably the most cringe-worthy (and potentially dangerous) of the invertebrates.

In the world of invertebrate keeping, centipedes are similar to mildly venomous snakes. Once you experience their vicious attacks on prey, these long, twisting, fast and ferocious creatures will demand and hold your respect!"

Thanks

Me, PERSONALLY, would NOT have hermit crabs in with cresties or any other Rhacodatylus gecko!

The reason why is because a hermit crab moves. The crestie might think that it's walking food, and try to snap at it. This might cause the crab to pinch the crestie. Which could result in a lot of different ways, including loss of tail, open sores which could lead to infection, and/or toes bit off.

A hermit crab needs it's own space, own shells to grow and move into, and own food. When a hermit crab molts it will leave the shell, bury for a few days, and then come out to find a bigger shell. During this time, the crestie could damage the crab.

I have had hermit crabs off and on in my life since childhood. Which is why I know from experience how a hermit crab lives, and what their needs are. They would not be a good item to put into a geckos cage.
    Last edited by Jennsen; 08-04-2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: typo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ JENN ~
    1 Daughter ~
    1 Chihuahua Cookie
    1.2 Pine Isle Chahouas Shrek Sugar & Spice
    1.2 Cresteds MrGoodbar Lollipop TootsieRoll
    1.0 Gargoyle Wyvern (Living the life at Lunars house with a girl!)

Thanks

Centipedes, generally, have a venomous bite. Millipedes don't, and so are much safer. Giant African Millipedes are a species common in the pet trade, and have been used (with varying results) as terrarium scavengers and "clean up" crew. While I haven't used them personally, they sound MUCH safer than a hermit crab for a gecko tank!
    14th Street Geckos

Currently working with: crested geckos, gargoyle geckos; Gonatodes albogularis; leopard geckos, pictus geckos; Kenyan Sand Boas

Thanks

I would not go with a hermit crab. I have kept them before and like Jenn pointed out, there are many reasons not to put them in with geckos. Most people don't realize how hard they pinch, and if you get a large one, they can give a real good pinch, comparable or stronger to a bite from a crested.
    1.0 Red Ear Slider: Squirt
    0.2.1 Cresteds: Maddie,Mocha,Caramel
    0.1 Dog: Leia
    1.0 Axolotl: Axle

Thanks

There is another person who says they have kept hermit crabs with all kinds of geckos and other lizards with no ill affects. I don't know if I will try it or not. I will definately NOT try any sort of centipede or millipede! lol. They are just gross. I will probably just not use anything

An interesting fact for you hermit crab owners-- You can use pill bugs, also known as rolly pollies or potato bugs as clean up crews for your hermit crabs. I have one in my hermit crab tank.

Thanks

yea sorry about that i meant to say millipedes (i always confuse the two). obviously i don't use them but have heard of their use with cresties. i know the crested gecko book from Philippe de Vosjoli references using them successfully. although i dont know what species was used.
    2.1.0 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus Jasper, Taz, Hunter
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus Chahoua [PI](unnamed)
    1.1.0 Holland lop Marley, Ella

Thanks

Hermit crabs have specific needs, which includes a substrate that is deep enough for the crab to completely bury themselves to molt. They do scavenge, but I don't think I would expect it to specifically eat lizard poo. They may pick at it some, but I wouldn't think it would be terrably healthy for them.
    Also, like others said, it is possible that the crab would pinch the crested and injure it.