Thread: Blind Gecko?

Thanks

Question Blind Gecko?

I've watched my gecko at night with just a red light on while he's hunting the crickets. He seems to track them ok and will tense up when the cricket is getting close like he's about to pounce and then the cricket walks right under it's nose and it doesn't pounce...almost like it doesn't know it's so close. Not hungry? Not able to see it? Help. Also I've seen some urate but no feces. Today is Friday, I bought him on Saturday. No signs of extended belly. Should I be worried. Oh, actually the first morning after I got him, so Sunday morning) there was soem poop on the glass. Nothing since.

Thanks

I'm not sure as to what might be the problem, but you can use a flashlight to see if the pupils contact or diliate. If they stay the same no matter how dark or how light it is it's probablly blind.
    -Eli
    "The foulest death is preferable to the cleanest slavery"

Thanks

Thumbs up

I's eyes definately respond to changes in light. At night when I turn out the lights but the red light is on, I can tell it's eyes are totally blak..I assume this is dilation.

Thanks

then it's not his sight that's the problem.
    -Eli
    "The foulest death is preferable to the cleanest slavery"

Thanks

Thumbs up

I am going to use paper towel for substrate and see if it helps Malakai to see and track the crickets. This will also stop them being able to hide in the substrate. I also will be able to keep track of defecating and urinating. Haven't seen any feces and only one site of urate in amost a week. We'll see...I hope everything is ok. Wish they could talk and tell us!!! Anyway thanks for the help.

Thanks

Hi Malakai,

Paper towels are always good to use. Crickets can get underneath them, but it's not a big problem.

Some cresteds have a bit of what I can only describe as "Cricket ADD". They have their eyes focused on a cricket, get ready to pounce, then another cricket walks in and... oh-my-goodness! The crested doesn't know which one to get! Lol. Most of the time it happens with younger cresteds (who are still trying to perfect their aim), though sometimes even my older guys do it.

My guys sometimes ignore them if they get to close as well. Maybe the "attack angle" is wrong and they just get too lazy to fix it. I see it all the time, but still go on "Poop Patrol" to be sure there isn't something else wrong with your gecko.
    ~Sarah~
    www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Thanks

Thumbs up

yes I will be on poop patrol. Tonight while I changed the cage to paper towel my husband was looking after Malakai and he gave him some peach baby food. I've never seen him lick with such gusto. I swear he put his mouth in and started to suck it up at one point. I'm hoping that this will get his bowels moving tonight. I'll keep you posted. no pun intended! Thanks for the reply.

Thanks

My guys sometimes ignore them if they get to close as well. Maybe the "attack angle" is wrong and they just get too lazy to fix it.

I'll go along with the 'attack angle' theory.

Cresties have their eyes more towards the side of their heads which suggest they're more often prey than predator. They can see well to the sides and even to some degree towards the rear, great for predator detection. The field of view towards the front sucks big time. They can see a cricket moving in front of their nose but once it's in that 'blind spot' they lose it. Visualize their field of view as a wide "V" branching out from each eye, the bottom/point towards the eye. The "V's" overlap in front of the nose someplace. In that small area outside the "V" but in front of the nose, they can't see a thing. If the cricket (or other food item) strays into that area, they miss it unless they move their head to change the field of view.
    Once they get old enough to figure this out, they can catch a cricket sitting right in front of the nose, but until then, they miss the 'really close' ones. Finding fruit in a dish is no problem since it doesn't run away, it stays where they last saw it, so dipping the tongue 'right there' is bound to make contact with the food. Mobile prey is another matter though.
    (Just for the record, well designed predators have eyes towards the front of the face so they can better track their fleeing prey).
    Last edited by Silly-atus; 01-20-2006 at 10:35 PM.

Thanks

That is very informative. Thank you. Now when it's pointed out to me...of course they can't see right in front of their noses. That makes me feel a whole lot better. Now if he'd just poop! No swollen abdomen though so that's good!

Thanks

Some cresteds have a bit of what I can only describe as "Cricket ADD". They have their eyes focused on a cricket, get ready to pounce, then another cricket walks in and... oh-my-goodness! The crested doesn't know which one to get!
    Cricket ADD, thats great:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think Crestedlady, and Silly-atus hit the nail on the head, with very good evidence to support it.

Cricket ADD:lol: :lol:
    Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make. ---Count Dracula