Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with black tail tip please!

Thanks

Question Help with black tail tip please!

2 days ago I PM'ed Jen (Juuniper) but have not yet heard a response. I don't feel like letting this wait much longer. I need some advise please.

Ziggy has a bad looking tail, and it's getting worse. It's black, rough, and shrunk up. Very skinny like.

I noticed it was like that a little bit when I brought her home from Petco. I thought there was dried CGD on the tail. So I had been giving her a sauna, and trying to clean the tail. I left it alone for two days... then two days I saw that the tail looked so much worse! I took all Sailles advice that night, and I had messaged Jen (vet moderator here) and separated all the cresties!

Here are the links to the pics in my photobucket:

I know that I might end up with another frogbutt. Which doesn't bother me in the least! I love them!! I just don't want this tail to do any damage to Ziggy! And it's getting worse.

Does it look like Ziggy should drop the tail? If so, how do I go about doing that?

Please advise. Thanks so much!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ JENN ~
    1 Daughter ~
    1 Chihuahua Cookie
    1.2 Pine Isle Chahouas Shrek Sugar & Spice
    1.2 Cresteds MrGoodbar Lollipop TootsieRoll
    1.0 Gargoyle Wyvern (Living the life at Lunars house with a girl!)

Thanks

Ouch! Does he act like it hurts? It looks like it got chomped on or shut in something. I know it didn't by you because you are as bad as me if it had you would have been on here crying about it. I hope he is okay.
    Sandy
    7.6.8.0 Crested Gecko 1.1.3 Gargoyle Gecko
    0.1.0 Pine Island Chahoua 0.1.0 Bearded Dragon
    My sweet meow meow I miss you!
    1.0 Painted Turtle Squirt

Thanks

That looks like it was nipped and then had some stuck shed or something. If you look closely, do you see any skin? I would put it in a deli cup with a warm, moist paper towel for 20 minutes, and then take a Q-tip dipped in vegetable oil and lightly prod it with that.... repeat a couple of times a day. I had one with a similar tail and the tail returned to normal with a little attention.

If you are uncomfortable with the look of it, get to a vet who can take a close look and let you know what's going on.

By the way, that animal appears to be in shed mode, so you should observe it soon after shedding!

Thanks

I haven't done a thing to it. He came to me this way.... only at the time it wasn't that bad. It just looked like dried CGD, but it wasn't washing off with a weeks worth of saunas.

But then the other morning, I freaked out seeing the tail like this!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ JENN ~
    1 Daughter ~
    1 Chihuahua Cookie

Thanks

Thanks Dragontown!
    I don't mind the look of it... but it looks like "raw meat". It's red, and there isn't much that is holding his tip on. He's not using the tail tip at all now, and isn't curling it around anything. I have tried cleaning it, except haven't tried the oil trick.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ JENN ~
    1 Daughter ~
    1 Chihuahua Cookie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dragontown View Post
    That looks like it was nipped and then had some stuck shed or something. If you look closely, do you see any skin? I would put it in a deli cup with a warm, moist paper towel for 20 minutes, and then take a Q-tip dipped in vegetable oil and lightly prod it with that.... repeat a couple of times a day. I had one with a similar tail and the tail returned to normal with a little attention.

If you are uncomfortable with the look of it, get to a vet who can take a close look and let you know what's going on.

By the way, that animal appears to be in shed mode, so you should observe it soon after shedding!
    Dragontown
    How can you tell it is in shed mode. Don't mean to jump in here but I am just trying to learn everything I can, still a nervous mommy.
    Sandy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kennedy7717 View Post
    Dragontown
    How can you tell it is in shed mode. Don't mean to jump in here but I am just trying to learn everything I can, still a nervous mommy.
    Look ate the grey / white appearance on the sides... that skin is coming off.

Ok, if the tail is RED and RAW, skip the oil, do the deli cup thing and then applu a DAB of neosporin. Sounds like it might drop the tip off. Good luck!

Thanks

that's the problem i keep having with mine...it boils down to humidity issues, i.e., running the AC and not misting frequently enough. it's a hard thing to catch in time even when they appear normal one day, the next day they can look like this. i usually let it run its course, the tip will fall off and the stub will heal, unless the underlying skin starts looking very bad and then you can force a tail drop. i do this by putting the baby on a flat hard surface, putting a paper towel over the tail, and pressing firmly right below the tail base, then try to coerce the baby to crawl away, leaving the tail behind. this can be a bit tricky and might take a little more effort for some geckos.

your other option if you want to spend the money is to have a vet clip the tail and give you some silvadene cream. you can keep the cream on hand for any future superficial injuries like this or bites.

i'll have to try the oil next time, usually plain water soaking doesn't work.

from http://www.ciliatus.com/content/inde...=30&Itemid=185

"Loss of Tail Tip

There are two common causes for crested geckos can lose the tips of their tails.

Hunting Accidents
    If you're feeding crickets to your geckos, it's inevitable that geckos will accidentally bite and then tug on each others tails. Usually this doesn't harm the other gecko, but if the one doing the biting is especially slow to recognize its mistake, injury can occur. These bite wounds always heal without any special attention and should be no cause for alarm.

Stuck Shed
    Sometimes, a gecko will have an incomplete shed around the tip of the tail and if not caught in time, the unshed skin can constrict the tail and cut off bloodflow, effectively killing the tip of the tail. If you do catch it early enough, simply peel away the unshed skin and the tail should return to normal.

However, if the tip has already turned black and hard, I've found it best to let nature take its course. The tip will eventually fall off and the tail will look almost completely normal (albeit shorter) within just a couple months."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dragontown View Post
    Look ate the grey / white appearance on the sides... that skin is coming off.

Ok, if the tail is RED and RAW, skip the oil, do the deli cup thing and then applu a DAB of neosporin. Sounds like it might drop the tip off. Good luck!
    Thank you Dragontown my 8 gram crestie has had sides that looked like that for a while. How long should it take once they start showing sign to a complete shed?
    Sandy

Thanks

I am not here so I cant see what it. is. It looks like the tip is dead, it seems blackened and droopping.
    Questions
    1. is the tip dead? if it going black is bad sign, it could be gangrene. spreading even worse.

What happened to me is a let the door of the cage close on is tail. The door just shuts on its own and it closed on the tip of his tail. (leopard the pretties of my babies of course) The tail tip wiggled as it does when the tail comes off. After a couple of days it got slimey and then dried up with in a day. I simply nipped the dead piece off with a pair of wire clippers, just were there was a color change. He is just fine and uses what he has of the tail.

My advice,
    If it is dried up, I would just nip it off with a pair of wire clipper. Deffinietlly
    It dead, I would nip it off most of the black part and if it bleeds use a product called quick stop that you can find at any pet store, or bird shop. It is used on dogs if you cut their claws to much or birds to stop bleeding in small wounds or broken pin feathers bacause they don't stop bleeding.

If the black is spreading this is bad. I don't know that you want to have it lose the whole tail and I have no idea of how to make this happen. I would search the forum because I remember someone doing it. Buschow or somesuch. The canadian from quebec did it for one of his babies that had floppy tail and I think there was a discription of how it was done.

I will PM you my phone number if you want to call
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com