Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mistakes you have made

Thanks

Default Mistakes you have made

I was at first afraid to ask this for fear of anyone posting getting judged, but I would love to hear how all of you gained your crestie knowledge. I for one learn a lot by the many mistakes I have made through the years. So if any of you would like to tell a new person things that they would not do again. I think a lot of newbies could learn a lot. Maybe we should just start every post with I know someone who did..........

As I said I am a nervous newbie and just want to learn as much as I can

Thanks

okay I'll start. I was rushing through cleaning my beta tank and I knocked the cup with him in it over and he slid right down the drain. I had him for over 2 years! Lesson learned I always put the stopper in now.

Thanks

Lemme see.... I kept my house at 76-78 degrees and I have a chinchilla. I have gotten it to go down to 72, still not perfect.

I didn't feed calcium to my very first gecko. A BEAUTIFUL BRIGHT yellow harlequin cream.

I accidentally killed a snake, black rat snake during a volunteer clean-up because I was moving a heavy pipe and he was living in it. Got chopped up real bad. I cried.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by venomfairy View Post
    Lemme see.... I kept my house at 76-78 degrees and I have a chinchilla. I have gotten it to go down to 72, still not perfect.

I didn't feed calcium to my very first gecko. A BEAUTIFUL BRIGHT yellow harlequin cream.

I accidentally killed a snake, black rat snake during a volunteer clean-up because I was moving a heavy pipe and he was living in it. Got chopped up real bad. I cried.
    I heard that chinchillas are hard to take care of. Ti you feel that way?

Thanks

Yep they are high maintenance.

Thanks

for my first crestie i bred her too soon. luckily she was alright.
    another one is when i was little i had a guppy family a mama a papa and some babies they all fell down the drain except the mama. i cried and blamed it on it being friday 13th. another one is when i ws 3-4 i love to look for bugs and i lifted a brick and found a white salamander with black eyes. so me being excited ran in the house to show my mom. wrong move! my mom smashed it with the brick and screamed on the top of her lungs and i cried

man this tread is going off topic lol
    0.2.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus Pebbles & Radar
    0.0.1 T roborowskii
    0.3 Lepidodactylus lugubris lucy, lucy, lucy
    0.1 weiner dog(Phoebe)[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scrletbegonias View Post
    for my first crestie i bred her too soon. luckily she was alright.
    another one is when i was little i had a guppy family a mama a papa and some babies they all fell down the drain except the mama. i cried and blamed it on it being friday 13th. another one is when i ws 3-4 i love to look for bugs and i lifted a brick and found a white salamander with black eyes. so me being excited ran in the house to show my mom. wrong move! my mom smashed it with the brick and screamed on the top of her lungs and i cried

man this tread is going off topic lol
    Who cares if it goes off topic. A lesson learned is always a good thing! Bad mommy for smashing your discovery! When my betta went down the drain I just stood there looking at the cup and looking at the drain and my first thought was I am going to blame my cat!

Thanks

One BIG mistake I've always regretted: my mom bought me an iguana when I was a kid (I think I was 9 or 10), knowing that I loved reptiles. What can I say! She tried. It was a kind-hearted gesture. However, at that time all we had to go on was outdated care books and the instructions of whoever was working in the local pet shop at the time (the internet was not a big deal then - shows you how old I am). The ig lived several years, but he should have lived longer with better care and he should have had a much larger enclosure. I've learned to always, always keep up on top of care info via the net and more often-released mags since then, and I do a few months' research before taking up a new species. I've also tried to help keep my mom up-to-date with pet info on her own animals, which are nothing more exotic than a cat and a dog.

With cresties specifically: ALWAYS double-check enclosures, aaaagh. I've only ever had one escapee, but that was enough to make me obsessively check all doors anymore. (I found the little guy high and dry in some curtains - it was a hatchling maybe a month old so I got lucky! - within 24 hours of escape but I was bawling like an idiot when I realized he was missing.) Talk about feeling like a bad mom!

Thanks

My one crested got out of my hands when I was cleaning some poo off of the inside of the cage and she ran up the curtains. Thats usually where cresties go.

Thanks

If anything goes down the drain immeadately unscrew that U shaped pipe thing and look inside.

I had an iguana when I was younger and also had to deal with the books and care info that was wrong.

I guess I kind of learned to mistrust most information to some degree regardless of the source.

Biggest Crestie mistake i made was keepingbabies in too big a group and looseing tails.