Thread: Will Cooling Stop Egg Production?

Thanks

Exclamation Will Cooling Stop Egg Production?

I just got a crested off the wonderful world of craigslist and Im concerned. Her previous owner was housing her with a male to breed her, problem is shes 24g. I know these guys can retain sperm, but I dont want to take a chance with her laying. Can I cool her to stop? Will she start laying again if I bring her back out (shes being housed alone right now and its staying that way until shes at least 35g). If she would start laying when I bring her out, how long can I leave her cooled to try and get weight on her? Will there be any long term problems I can try and reverse? Finally, how much extra calcium should I add to her diet? Sorry about all the questions, Im new to these guys and only talked to the guy about this after she laid two eggs for me. Im really worried about her

Thanks

I would definately cool her down and hopefully she will stop laying. Temperatures of 63-68 should do the trick, I wouldn't make them too much higher for now. I would also put a dish of just plain Calcium (no D3) in the tank. Hand-feeding for a while to make sure she is definately eating probably could not hurt either. Make sure she is eating CGD every night and 2-3 times per week try and get live prey which should promote weight gain (crickets, silk worms ect).
    1.1.6 Rhacodactylus cilliatus
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus leachianus

Thanks

Is she tailess? I'd be just a little less worried if she is tailess.

This guy... at at pet shop however is trying to breed 3 month old juvies pissin me of. The pet shop is just watchin them but has no liability over the housing of the geckos. Well, I always try to check on them since nobody else is. Because of that, sperm has become solidified in the girls so it had to be pushed out because they can't produce eggs yet.

I think being 24g isn't going to be too bad if she is actually producing eggs I think she'll be okay. Check her calcium sacs too. But you want to stop her. I think if you add an extra smidgen of calcium every night she will be fine. Feed her crickets three times a week like juvies. But do the small ones so she doesn't get over-stuffed and GAINS weight. Gut load them though.

Honestly no gecko is going to eat just plain calcium, no guarantee there. I have a girl who is about to lay unfertile eggs and she's 25gs w/out the tail. I am trying to wait for her to be 30gs w/out the tail to ensure a long life. I also have another girl who is right at 31gs with the tail. But there is no guarantee the tailess will ever gain past 29 or anything.

Don't freak out too much, just keep her seperate and keep your eye on her health.

Perhaps try to freeze a water bottle and put it in the cage each night with her.

Thanks

I have almost the exact same situation, only my two are the exact same weight (both with tails) at 25.8 g. Still too small to breed in my opinion. Luckily, they were only recently put together, so apparently the first actual mating took place on June 18th. No eggs yet.
    I separated them immediately and have been adding calium (no d3) to the CGD I feed the female. She has minor floppy tail going on and feels a bit "wobbly" to me so I need to get her healthy. (they were feeding her babyfood and crickets. )
    I think the hand feeding is a good idea, and if you can get her to eat phoenix worms, even better as they're high calcium feeders.
    Cooling may not stop egg production completely, but it can significantly slow it down so hopefully you can get her calcium levels and weight up.
    Good luck with your girly!
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Ok, I did check her calcium levels and they werent as bad as I thought theyd be (she had laid for him before, but he wouldnt tell me how many times). She does have her tail and I was actually suprised that the eggs were fertile.
    Ok, Ill cool her down and start with the feeding ideas. Ive heard that she might be stunted, is that something to worry about?