Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had any problems with blatta lateralis (turkistan) roaches?

Thanks

Default Anyone had any problems with blatta lateralis (turkistan) roaches?

I have purchased some a week or so ago and have them in a 30 gal sterlite tub.I have a 8 inch hole cut in center of top with some aluminum screen covering it.The sides are alick and it doesnt seem like they can climb it.I also as a precaution put about a 4 inch ring vaseline around the top edge of the tub.Last few days I have been reading about getting rid of their turkistans and going to dubias due to fear of infestation.Did I jump the gun and buy the wrong species of roach.I thought the turkistans were a good balance of nonclimbers ,breedability and size.I am worried now.Anyone else have any comments?

Thanks

I got rid of the the Dubia and went with lateralis. I like them so much better.
    I'm not sure what kind of problem they are talking about?? I've had mine for a while now and they are doing great.

Thanks

Some poepl have said they are listed as a pest species which I didnt know about before buying.Supposedly most roaches sold from roach breeders are tropical and will not breed in areas north of florida,texas and california.I check them when I put fresh vegetables in to see if any are on the walls before I open the tub.So far it looks like they are staying put.Why may I ask did you get rid of your dubias?Most people act like they are the best thing since sliced bread

Thanks

I have both, and I haven't fed any of the dubias because I actually think they're really cute! But they are breeding well for me.
    I haven't yet gotten my Turkistans to breed, but our weather has finally warmed up and I think I found an ootheca (egg case) in their tub. They smell more than the B. Dubias, and they're really hella fast compared, but my Fat Tail loves them!
    I think they're both excellent roaches, but like I said, I have had slightly better luck with my dubias breeding and they don't stink as badly.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubie1 View Post
    Some poepl have said they are listed as a pest species which I didnt know about before buying.Supposedly most roaches sold from roach breeders are tropical and will not breed in areas north of florida,texas and california.I check them when I put fresh vegetables in to see if any are on the walls before I open the tub.So far it looks like they are staying put.Why may I ask did you get rid of your dubias?Most people act like they are the best thing since sliced bread
    When I fed the dubia they would hide under everything and when I cleaned the gecko cages they were all over the bottom of the newspaper. The lateralis just run around in the cage and the geckos eat them all.
    I am also getting a lot more babies from the lateralis than the dubia.

Thanks

Yep I went with them because supposedly they breed faster and good allaround size.I fed 2 of the males out when I got them after letting them gutload overnight to make sure my leopard and crested would eat them.And they dove on them.I think they love the speed these guys have.I didnt know the dubias hide though just knew they were slower and Sallie I let them share UTH with my Leopard tank Its a big pad.Half on it it half off to allow for cool area if they need it.It must be working because there are egg cases allready in the bottom after only a week.The females were probably pregnant when they were shipped I bet.I guess just main thing is too keep a screened lid on them to be safe .hehe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubie1 View Post
    Yep I went with them because supposedly they breed faster and good allaround size.I fed 2 of the males out when I got them after letting them gutload overnight to make sure my leopard and crested would eat them.And they dove on them.I think they love the speed these guys have.I didnt know the dubias hide though just knew they were slower and Sallie I let them share UTH with my Leopard tank Its a big pad.Half on it it half off to allow for cool area if they need it.It must be working because there are egg cases allready in the bottom after only a week.The females were probably pregnant when they were shipped I bet.I guess just main thing is too keep a screened lid on them to be safe .hehe.
    They're really no big deal. They cant climb but the males will occasionally fly. I have only had one fly and he didnt go very far.
    Soon you will have 1000s of babies running around everywhere

Thanks

Yep that is one thing that I like about them is that the nymphs after they hatch you can use for small dartfrogs all the way up to beardeds or larger chameleons if you have a variety of reptiles.from what I read off one forum someone says he just throws the egg cases in his dartfrog tank and as they hatch they have endless supply of nymph feeders ready.Sallie, will your blue tongue eat them yet?

Thanks

Thats a good idea if you have dart frogs

Thanks

Hehe I thought that was a pretty slick to.Something I noticed about the smell they have.I have only had them a week so it may be just they way I am keeping.But their smell reminds me of electrical wiring.I know that sounds strange.Its not a bad smell just unique I think.