Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue tongue Skink and red-eyed armored skink

Thanks

Is there a good place to figure out the housing requirements for the BTS? What sore of temp and humidity, how big of a tank that sort of stuff? I have been looking around and cant seem to find anything but its most likely just me and I'm blind or something. =)
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

Sarah,
    Chuffers has two cages, as he travels between two houses at the moment. His big cage is 3' x 2' x 17". It has a built in socket for his basking light. Its all wood and has sliding front doors to get in. The only issue I have with it is ventilation, but Chuff doesn't seem to mind as he gets out during the warmer time of year.
    His other cage is about 16" x 36" Floor space, 17" tall and its his "vacation" home. (I have no idea of the gallon size, sorry! This was a freebie)

He's a big boy, 23" total length.
    Blueys love to burrow (Chuff has Aspen shavings in half his cage for burrowing into) and need more floor space than anything, and I would recommend nothing smaller than a 40 gallon breeder for an adult, but bigger is always better.

Hope this helps? Most blueys top out at about 24" total, give or take a few inches.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

I've read that an adult Bluey should have a footprint of 2' x 4' in the enclosure, ideally. With that being said, I immediately housed Tank in a 90g viv and he gets full use of it ..with climbing and burrowing, etc. ..but doesn't seem cramped. He does get free range quite a bit, though ..he's a spoiled boy!

If he continues to grow at break neck speed, I will have to invest in something twice or three times this size ..probably custom. (He was able to sit sideways in a shoebox back in February ...now, he is not able to fit in a shoebox period! LOL ..maybe if I could fold him )
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Thanks

Oh bigger is always better with terrestrial lizards, in my opinion. Chuff is quite content in his big home, and he gets free run of the house (and yard on nice days) when we are there to supervise.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Neither are particularly hard to keep. The skinks CAN move fast according to the skink, but as someone said the fastest movements become a slither on the belly with the legs folded.

The armored skinks are insect eaters. I'd even from the behavior should probably have a large shallow water area to sit. Mine now are out in the day, but when I first got them they were strictly out at night. I suspect they like the dense plant areas to hide in. They are similiar to a crested gecko in heat tolerance, but I don't let them get as cold.

Thanks

So is temp and humidity different for different types? What type do you have Saille? I still love that picture!
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

Most of the types people not living in Australia will see have similiar requirements.

Thanks

Hahaha, thanks, Chuff is great, he lets me do silly things to him. He has an Indiana Jones hat as well!
    Chuffers is a Merauke Blue Tongue skink, his native home is Irian Jaya, the Merauke area, so I guess he's a type of Irian Jaya Bluey, seeing as thats the main island that he's native to. (part of Indonesia/New Guinea, heres' a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Papua_(province))
    Merauke is a town/province in the South East part and the Blueys there have very specific colouring and traits different to the regular Irian Jaya Blueys, but I think there is still debate as to whether to classify Meraukes as their own species/subspecies.
    Anyways, yes, temps and humidity can vary for say a Northern Bluey to an Indonesian, to a Shingleback. Shingles need very low humidity and desertlike conditions, Chuffie likes humidity and "rain foresty" conditions.
    Right now its 80 degrees F in Merauke Irian Jaya and mostly cloudy, humidity is 64 %.
    Do check out the caresheets on www.bluetongueskinks.net and on the main page, upper left corner, it gives a pretty thorough description of the different types of Blueys.
    Hope it helps!