Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue tongue Skink and red-eyed armored skink

Thanks

Default Blue tongue Skink and red-eyed armored skink

My cousin keeps asking me information on these. His parents spoil him, and might let him get one. But he has no clue where to find breeders.

I tried looking around but I can't figure out if the breeder seems reliable at all. Or even figure out a solid idea on how much they tend to cost.

Looks like the Armored Skink is about $80 to $200?
    And blue tongue seem to be from $150 to $600?

Basically, does anybody here breed them or know of any good breeders for either?
    Or a basic idea on cost?
    (And he never told me if he meant central blue tongued, western, or whatever. So a breeder or price idea for any of them work. Or just whichever tends to be the most common.)

Thanks

I highly reccommend Ray Gurgui in FL ...email him: rgurgui@msn.com ..tell him Aminah sent you!

He's been breeding for years and years ...has several Blue tongues ..Northerns, Tanimbars, Irian Jaya, Easterns ..maybe more...

I'm getting an Eastern and a Northern from him very soon ..and a few other things. He's a good guy!
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Thanks

I second the Ray Gurgui thing! He's a great guy and he has beautiful babies, herds of them right now!!
    (edit) Cost-wise, a bluey will probably be from 100-200+ dollars, depending on where you get it from, health, etc. (I was extremely as lucky as mine was free because he was a rescue!) This does not include set up/housing.

Blueys are fantastically hardy lizards and they're a lot of fun. Mine plays Hide and Seek with Tony, loves to sleep on my legs when I'm watching TV, he'll eat from my hand, bask in the yard with me and is generally like a non-smelly non-furry non-barky dog.
    Just so you can get an idea on size, Blueys can top out at about 25+ inches total length. They need at the very least a 55 gal breeder, but bigger is better as they're terrestrial guys who like to wander.
    They're omnivores, but their diet should be about 60% veggies, 40 % proteins. Don't feed them crickets or mealworms, those are really low in nutrition for Blueys.
    Snails, boiled shredded chicken, silkworms, turkey burger are all protein sources I feed my boy.
    Blueberries, banana sweet potato, squash of any kind, all loved by my guy.
    Greens he gets dandelion leaves, mustard and collard greens because of the high calcium content.
    So he shares salads with us too.
    Once the housing is set up, I can't describe how easy and fun these guys are. I love Blueys! Feel free to ask me anything about them.
    Oh, one more thing: They are very difficult to sex, unless you have a mature adult and actually see it laying sperm plugs. You can't have a Bluey "popped" the way you can a snake, it really can harm them. So you either have to "behaviour test" two blueys, (not recommended for a novice) or wait for their "junk" to pop out while they're pooping.

I can't give any info on the armoured skinkers, however. I have no experience with them, other than they look really cool. . .
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Looks like Ray Gurgui is the one to talk to for them then. Thank you

My cousin said he did all his research on this. I am almost tempted to get one myself.
    Last question is if they run fast. They don't look like they can, but can likely shuffle if they need to.
    Just the last thing we need is it getting under a dresser or something and hiding there. (My cousin used to have a ferret that did that. It'd eventually drag paper clips, bottle caps, money, and socks under there to make a fort out of.)

Thanks

The Blueys don't really run, per se ...but kind of pick up their little stumpy legs and revert to slithering as fast as their bellies will take 'em! It's not extremely fast, but you'll want to keep an eye on them when they are out and about.

My boy likes to get inside the sofa ..yes, INSIDE! And he can scurry his little butt across the yard pretty darn quick, too!

"I'm innocent!" ...he says, from the comforts of the futon
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Thanks

I STRONGLY recommend Zach from www.bluetongueskinks.net for a bluey. He actually lives in Oregon too. I have quite a few different kinds of reptiles and my blue tongue skink, Tula, is my favorite reptile BY FAR. They make amazing pets. Zach is actually about to have his females give birth any day now and he pays a lot of attention to his babies and even goes as far as writing small paragraphs for each baby as to what their personalities are like. He is one of the best reptile breeders I have seen as far as actually caring for the animals.

I also recommend checking out bluetongueskinks.net caresheet because it is really in depth and will really help you with any questions. Their forums on that site are amazing as well if the caresheet does not answer your questions. The people are really friendly and always willing to give advice. Hope this helps!
    Jessica Gearhart
    ~Geckosrus~
    2.5 Henkel leaftail geckos
    1.2 Giant leaftail geckos
    2.4.4 Crested geckos
    1.1 Leopard geckos
    0.2 Fat Tail Geckos
    0.2 Bearded Dragons
    0.1 Irian Jaya Blue Tongue Skink
    0.2 Red Foot Tortoises
    0.1 Golden Greek Tortoise

Thanks

Definitely a great site that helped me a lot.
    Blueys are awesome!
    They're smart, too!

Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

ROFL!!! Love that picture! Still debating one these guys my self but hubbys still wants a tegu. =)
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

I wont comment on the Red Eyed armored skinks as I have absolutely no experience with them (although I have been considering getting some). However, I am a Bluey addict and my collection keeps growing. I am currently up to 12 blue tongues and might be getting a few more here shortly. They are great pets, easy to care for, and usually have great temperaments.

I have dealt with mainly the Indonesian species (Indos, Tanimbars, Kei Islands, and IJ) but have recent added 4 little northerns to my collection. All of mine have great temperaments with the exception of one Indo. She was a recent import and will try to bite me any chance she will get. But I can live with it. It adds excitement to the collection.

All of my animals have been either WC (All my indos and the Kei Island) or purchased from Andrew Seikes and Ray. Both guys are great and know what they are doing. If I wanted a pure Aussie BTS, those guys are the only ones I would go to at this point. There are some other breeders out there that claim to have pure species (be it aussie or indo) but can not back it up or prove lineage.

I am not using my computer (house sitting) so I dont have pictures of my collection, but I will try to post some pictures of them when i get a chance.

EDIT: I forgot to post their websites. Andrews is www.seikereptiles.com and Rays is www.thunderbayherp.com

Thanks

WOW, Brad, keep 'em coming!! I ran out of room, Tony and I are consolidating into one house soon, so Chuffie is still my only Bluey, though I really really wanted to get this very cute small Merauke off a nice guy on Craigslist.
    Broke my heart that I don't have the room, but he said that he had another good guy lined up. (sigh)
    I love Blueys.