Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do Giant African millipedes hibernate?

Thanks

Default do Giant African millipedes hibernate?

Well, I got the shock of my life... an African black millipede I long thought was dead was out last night climbing high on the branches of my vivarium for my crested geckos. Several things were shocking:

1) it looked great! I even touched it's exo-skeleton and it was firm and shiny.
    2) but I thought it was dead and so there has been no vegies, no nothing for 6 months! yes, 6 months
    3) this is also the first time I saw it for 6 months

I have 2 possible theories:

1) it's been living off the water I mist the tank with and gecko poo (since it's composed of CGD and flavored GD, is it enough to sustain a millipede for that long?) and possibly the dead plants in the vivarium itself?

2) can millipedes hibernate? it was one of the coldest winters in chicago, and so I'm wondering if it was hibernating and now that summer is here, it is just now out of hibernation... in which case, should I start leaving fresh vegetables, etc out for it to eat?

Does anyone have any ideas about what happened? I'm stumped on this one but glad that the millipede is surprisingly doing well right now.

Thanks! abc
    Crested geckos: 3.2.7 and 10 eggs still incubating (Adults: Cinamon - female, red with white fringe; Vanilla - female, yellow tiger with dalmation spots; Lemon - female yellow-cream brindle; Pepperoni - male, red and tailless; Banana- male yellow creamsicle)

Thanks

I don't know about hibernation, but like a lot of bugs, their matabalism will slow way down with cooler temps...so they don't need to eat as much, and they won't move around much.

I love these mili's had one a looong time ago. I've heard of people keeping them with crested's, but have never got the chance to ask questions. How long have you had the milipede in with your cresteds? what size enclosure? and do the crested's bother the milipede? any tips or advice, or other interesting info I might need? Thanks

Oh, and congrats on your survivor

Thanks

well, I have had the millipede for.... 6 1/2 months, and from day 1 it's been with the geckos. 2 weeks after getting it, it just disappeared? and now it popped up again last night.

the millipede gets along great with the crested (but that's only about 2 weeks of experience). I have 2 females sharing a 30g tall 12X24X25 glass planted terrarium. The crested don't bother it and the millipede doesn't bother the crested's. Frankly, I'm not sure if they even acknowledge each other's existence. The millipede only wants the crested poop, I think.
    Crested geckos: 3.2.7 and 10 eggs still incubating (Adults: Cinamon - female, red with white fringe; Vanilla - female, yellow tiger with dalmation spots; Lemon - female yellow-cream brindle; Pepperoni - male, red and tailless; Banana- male yellow creamsicle)

Thanks

haha, poop eaters! I am going to have to consider getting another millipede for my gecko enclosures. Has anyone else kept these together for longer periods of time? Thanks for the info

Thanks

I very rarely see my Milli that lives with the Cresteds ..unless I'm up really late and actually looking for him. When I have seen him out and about, he's sharing the CGD with the geckos and seems to enjoy it quite a bit, so I don't worry too much about having greens available at all times.

I've never witnessed any ill effects or aggro behaviour toward my Milli either. The Cresteds seem to be oblivious to his presence.
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Thanks

Default update: feed your milli if you have plants

Well, I'm going back to my hibernation theory again. My millipede went bananas and started chomping on all my plants in the vivarium. Again, 6 months and no activity... then suddenly it's eating every plant in sight until I started feeding it salad material and turtle/bird pellets (both have nice calcium sources) and then it started leaving my plants alone. It's out every night hunting for food? Before I never saw it for months on end, and now it's coming out at night, not waiting until I turn out the lights, but even if the room lights are on, it's like clockwork: at 10pm, it's hunting. And if I don't have something for it to eat, it's munching on the plants... so, it must be a hibernation cycle induced by the severe cold of Chicago. Just a hunch but I'm still scratching my head on this one. But having the milli back has been great!

Thanks

Do you have any photos of him?

Thanks

Not yet, but I can try and get a pick and post it here.

Thanks

He was molting. =) It can take months and months for this to happen.
    Thats why his shell was looking so nice.
    TTFN
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

today is january 27 and i was going to change the food and water dish of my millipede.. now i know milipedes don't often move that well.. so i wasn't bothered by it staying still in the corner for 3 days.. but i went and picked him up today and usually when i do that he perks up.. with in10-30 seconds.. but now he's as stiff as a board and in the shape of a "U", he's currently on my desk and it's been 15-20 mins.. still no movement and it looks like his little legs are curled inside... i know when spiders die- tier legs curl inside.. but do you think he's dead or just hibernating? should i keep him until summer just in case.. or should i just let it go? mind you, my millipede is much much tinnier then an african millipede, the one i have is native to North America- in Connecticut. just wondering here..