Thread: *Something has gone very Wrong!!*

Thanks

Exclamation *Something has gone very Wrong!!*

Something is wrong with Geico. Here is what has happened so far.

Yesterday (Friday) Geico was starting his shed as far as I could tell. His feet weren't sticking and his face was turning gray.

Today I could see that his shed was coming along good. He had a good amount of the belly shed of and he had the fingers and snout shed off too.

I went to buy some crickets and when I come home I go and handle Geico. He was doing allright, moving and acting like a crested gecko should. He even tried biting me. Once he tried biting me I put him back so I don't stress him.

A couple of hours later (now) I checked on him and I picked him up. He wasn't moving and he opened his mouth and that was the last thing I saw him do before he... stopped.

I put him on his back and he didn't roll over. That is when I got really worried. I check that thingy on his chin that goes up and down and it wasn't moving. I rubbed his back lightly and all I got was a twitch or two from his tail. That was the movement he made.

I put him in a seperate tank just is case s/he comes back.

I am going over what is wrong. It can't be calcium deficiency because I feed CGD and powdered crickets. It can't be shedding problems or dehydration becuase I place a water bowl and I spray 2 times a day. It also can't be the new gecko becuase s/he is quarantined and I follow all procedures. Plus the quarantine gecko is doing very well. I provide heat and the currents temps are 72 basking and 68 normal. It can't be impaction becuase last night s/he defecated. I really am so sad right now because of Geico and becuase I can't figure out what is wrong. I take full responsibility for him/her yet the gecko is in this condition. I am trying to find a vet to see what happened or what is happening (if there is still hope)

Please I need to get some help!
    Rhacodactylus:

ciliatus 0.0.2 (Ratchet and Quinn. Geico died 01/07/06 at around 3:00pm )

Thanks

sorry i dont know what to tell you...i only know when my geckos shed i dont handle them until they're done and only need help with any remnants left over. sorry i dont know what else to say to help... hope everything turns out ok.
    Jillie
    3.5.19 Crested Geckos (0.3.15 for sale)
    0.1.0 R.Brev (pygmy chams)

www.CelticHerps.com

Thanks

I don't know what to tell you. That is very sad and a mystery too. Is there D3 in your calcium powder? There have been cases where both lack of it and oversupplementation have caused life-threatening problems for geckos.

If you are sure Geico is gone, place the body in the fridge (NOT the freezer) and see if you can get anyone to do a necropsy on him/her. The tissue sample part of the exam can be very expensive, but maybe you can find a vet or a teaching hospital willing to do it for less in order to get more experience. The necropsy would be very valuable for you to know what happened and to increase medical knowledge of cresteds as a whole.

I am really sorry about what happened. Sometimes you can be doing everything within your power and they can still pass on. It happened to me with my little leopard gecko girls Callisto and Cassandra. I hope Geico recovers.
    "Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight;
    You gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight....."
    --Bare Naked Ladies

Thanks

Yes I was sure that my calcium powder had D3 in it. The powder was Miner All.
    Rhacodactylus:

Thanks

Default Sorry to hear about your gecko

Sorry to hear about your gecko, the only thing I can think of would be that maybe the cage mate beat up on him or her? Was there a significant size difference? Thats about the only thing I can think of, everything else you are doing seems right to me..

It seems you know what your doing and took good care of him.

Again , sorry for your lose
    http://www.enviedreptiles.com/
    Check it , You wont regret it.

Thanks

Dude i think mineral all is not a calcium supplement( yellow and red package)...its a mineral supplement with or without D3......How many times a week did u use it.
    Nash
    "Say hello to my little friend"
    -Tony Montana (Scarface)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nashwdragons
    Dude i think mineral all is not a calcium supplement( yellow and red package)...its a mineral supplement with or without D3......How many times a week did u use it.
    Nash
    No, minerall is a calcium supplement. Make sure you had the indoor formula w/ D3 (there is an outdoor formula w/o d3).

The only thing that sounds odd to me about this is that my cresteds normally complete a shed over night.........it doesnt take days.

Thanks

What i meant with it not being a calcium supplement is that its not like the rep cal calcium etc which u use for dusting everytime.....i dont think anybody here uses minerall for every dusting but i might be wrong......secondally minerall is not market as a calcium supplement ....calcium is one of many things it has..........so i dont think you can exclusively classify it as a genuine calcium cupplement. Just my 2 cents.
    nash
    "Say hello to my little friend"
    -Tony Montana (Scarface)

Thanks

I double checked the ingredients and it did have D3.

The cagemate size difference is definetely not a factor. Both Ratchet and Geico have been cagemates since before we purchased them an they are the same size. Definetely not that.
    Rhacodactylus:

Thanks

Unhappy

This all sounds very familiar.......I had what sounds like the exact same thing happen about one month ago to one of my crested geckos.
    Unfortuneatly for me mine did not make it. The vet did not know what happened other than some underlying problems do not show themselves until it is to late. I did not have a necropsy preformed..........
    How old was your gecko? Mine was a juvie.
    I have had things like this happen with neonate boas........but, usually this is due to organs that are not completely developed. Unfortuneatly you can't determine these things until it is too late.
    I am sorry to hear this has happened to you.
    In nature not all things are meant to live and we only find this out when we have them as captives and see it in person.