Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Two headed crested photos

Thanks

That's unfortunate but thanks for the pictures and information.

Thanks

thats nuts

Thanks

I know this will probably start a debate, but let me pose a question to all the egg cutters. If an animal was not meant to come out of the egg, whether it be on time or at all, shouldn't that decision be left up to nature? Wouldn't you think that it is natures way of saying that the animal was not meant to live or not ready yet? Kind of like how the mother of a litter in the mammal world will sometimes reject nurturing the one who is born as a runt, nature rejects those that cannot make it out of the egg. With geckos, the first step is getting out of the egg. If it cannot do that on it's own, my opinion is that it was not meant to come out at all. Could be an inhereted deformity that weakened the animal or deprived the animal of the ability to hatch. Should responsible breeders sell and promote the reproduction of such an animal?
    The many animals I live with...

6.4.21 Crested Geckos (Plus 5 Eggs)
    1.0.0 Australian Shepherd Dog

Thanks

jennyb--I understand what your saying, and I struggle with this one. Inevitably your going to have people on both sides of the fence. It's human to want things to survive, with humans C-sections are common place procedures. We will do whatever it takes so that our own offspring survive, "weak" or not, and then they go on to reproduce and so forth. I'm not saying geckos and humans are the same, but I understand the emotional pull.

Perhaps it's not responsible breeding, but things aren't always so black and white. Lots of people buy geckos at pet stores, and reptile shows from people they barely know--there is no way of knowing how these animals have hatched out, or their genetics. But that's the way it goes.

Thanks

well, my opinion is that, we, as breeders must make a choice on where to draw that line, within reason. would you do as the mother of the runt, and refuse to feed a small, weak hatchling?

i think "natures way of saying that the animal was not meant to live," ie: natural selection, is hindered if not halted by just our general husbandry. we treat with pancur those who may have weaker immunity. we suppliment with calcium those who may not live without it. we sanitize, quarantine, selectively breed, heat, cool, mist, EVERYTHING to care for these guys. or at least i do. and all that stuff can be considered "unnatural"
    i personally, dont cut eggs or anything, but if a responsible, knowledgeable breeder decided he would cut all eggs that he decided needed it, i would leave it up to him.
    i feel there are many things that we do in our care and breeding of these guys that could be left to nature.

basically what im saying is we are breeding these guys, and its up to us each individually to decide how "natural" to make things. as long as you are intelligent and upfront about your practices, of course.

fully planted, living naturalistic vivarium with native flora?
    or a tub rack, with egg crates and paper towels?

JMHO.

this should be an interesting discussion....

J.R.

5.11.!.! crested gex
    0.1 pacman frogs
    1.0 chahoua
    0.0.1 milk frog

Thanks

This question reminds me of that joke...

"There was a man called him Jim, who lived near a river. Jim was a very religious man.

One day, the river rose over the banks and flooded the town, and Jim was forced to climb onto his porch roof. While sitting there, a man in a boat comes along and tells Jim to get in the boat with him. Jim says "No, that's ok. God will take care of me." So, the man in the boat drives off.

The water rises, so Jim climbs onto his roof. At that time, another boat comes along and the person in that one tells Jim to get in. Jim replies, "No, that's ok. God will take care of me." The person in the boat then leaves.

The water rises even more, and Jim climbs on his chimney. Then a helicopter comes and lowers a ladder. The woman in the helicopter tells Jim to climb up the ladder and get in. Jim tells her "That's ok." The woman says "Are you sure?" Jim says, "Yeah, I'm sure God will take care of me.

Finally, the water rises too high and Jim drowns. Jim gets up to Heaven and is face-to-face with God. Jim says to God "You told me you would take care of me!
    What happened?"

God replied "Well, I sent you two boats and a helicopter. What else did you want?"

Makes ya think. XP

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jennyb View Post
    I know this will probably start a debate, but let me pose a question to all the egg cutters. If an animal was not meant to come out of the egg, whether it be on time or at all, shouldn't that decision be left up to nature? Wouldn't you think that it is natures way of saying that the animal was not meant to live or not ready yet? Kind of like how the mother of a litter in the mammal world will sometimes reject nurturing the one who is born as a runt, nature rejects those that cannot make it out of the egg. With geckos, the first step is getting out of the egg. If it cannot do that on it's own, my opinion is that it was not meant to come out at all. Could be an inhereted deformity that weakened the animal or deprived the animal of the ability to hatch. Should responsible breeders sell and promote the reproduction of such an animal?
    I screwed up nature when I took those eggs out of the cage and put them in the incubation material. I subject those eggs to variable room temperatures and humidity levels dependent on the seasons and my very un-natural home environment.

Therefore, when the egg is due to hatch that baby may or may not be able to escape easily from the egg due to MY inadequacies rather than a genetic weakness.

If there is a genetic weakness, it will become obvious after hatching as well. Another consideration is the value of these animals, and I'm going to give every single one as much of a chance as possible.

Thanks

Why don't we go back to the Spartan way of thinking and toss the weak babies off a cliff (ala '300')? Honestly people.

If you see a sick animal, do you take it to the vet or do you let nature take it's course?

Sorry you lost the gecko Misskiwi67.
    ~Kimmy
    3.3 Crested Geckos, 0.1 Creamsicle Corn Snake, 1.1 Felines, 1.0 Shep/Basenji mix

Thanks

Sorry for your loss

Would you suggest letting a human baby die because they are not strong enough to live? That's nature...right?

Thanks

I'm all about tossing human babies off a cliff!
    Do we rilly need to save every human life? I mean like, c'mon, aren't there enough of us already???

But seriously, MissKiwi, sorry it didn't work out for the little "Boomerang". He was an awesome geckos for the short time he existed.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas