Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Two headed crested photos

Thanks

Default Two headed crested photos

Hey all,

I finally got a wireless card from verizon so I have internet. Its taken me over an hour to upload these seven photos, but its the only internet available to me that won't cost me a million dollars or be weather dependent, so it will have to work... Sorry it took so long!

The gecko is doing well. He can walk, and is becoming more coordinated each day. He's a bit top heavy and cannot climb, but he's starting to learn how to keep his back legs from getting stuck on his head so he can walk with all his legs. He still falls over occasionally, but continues to learn. I helped him shed last night and fed him his first meal. He cannot open his own mouth, and while I know he has a tongue, I'm yet to see him use it...

If this gecko lives, he will need hand fed and assisted to shed for the rest of his life... I want him to live, but he's going to be a LOT of work.

Any ideas on names? Quasimodo seems to fit, but its the name of my boyfriends dog that passed recently, so I can't use that one...

And here's his sibling, a lovely harlequin partial pinstripe...

Thanks

wow!! its amazing ... how about boomerang for a name??
    0.2.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus Pebbles & Radar
    0.0.1 T roborowskii
    0.3 Lepidodactylus lugubris lucy, lucy, lucy
    0.1 weiner dog(Phoebe)[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

That is beyond amazing. I hope he live too!!! Maybe he'll learn to open his mouth as he gets older. It's gotta be hard with that jaw. I want a two headed gecko... LOL He's like a little twisted dragon. Who did they come from?

My suggestions are: Hydra, Hala, Ladon, Tsoureki, Duo, Zwei. And those are all the cliche names I could come up with. lol

Thanks

If this gecko lives, he will need hand fed and assisted to shed for the rest of his life...
    Not to start a huge debate here, but is this the humane thing to do? Do you truly have enough time for the rest of it's life to hand feed it constantly and constantly help it shed? How many years of his life are you able to do this on a regular basis? What if you and your boyfriend want to go on vacation? It's nice to think that you can do this for a great time period, but after a while, it's going to become tedious.

Maybe it wasn't meant to live like this?

Just my two cents!

Thanks

That gecko is incredible. Did you hatch it out yourself?

I've heard of a few people hatching out two-headed cresties before, but none that lived more than a couple hours. Unfortunately, I don't think your's is going to last long either with it's jaw condition and everything. Plus, you say it can't seem to open it's mouth? It just doesn't sound good in my mind. Hate to say it.
    Kyle J. Salzmann
    Check out Gekkonidazed Geckos on Facebook!
    www.gekkonidazed.com
    New to shipping reptiles? Use ShipYourReptiles.com and save! Enter code Dazed40 at checkout and get 40% off your 1st shipment!

Thanks

Poor little guy...He looks like a fighter though. Just make him comfortable--that's all you can do.

Thanks

Poor thing--in cases like these you can't help but wonder what the most humane thing really is--it's a tough situation for sure.

Thanks

I'm a veterinarian. I am perfectly capable of not only nursing this little bugger for the rest of his life, but also determining when and how to provide humane euthanasia if it becomes necessary. At this point in time he is learning to control himself and does not appear to be in distress. If he was still flailing about like he was the first 24 hours, he would have been euthanized already.

He was assist hatched. I do this with all my clutches. I noticed the first dozen or so clutches I hatched all hatched within 24 hours of each other, so I started cutting eggs if the second baby didn't hatch within 36 hours of the older sibling. I've cut three clutches this way and had no problems, usually the baby wiggles and slices their own way out as soon as you release the pressure, and all have been fully formed and ready to go. With the two-headed baby, I could feel him wiggle, but he couldn't get himself out. I was really worried I'd made a mistake until I saw him and realized he probably never would have hatched on his own. Maybe thats why he's stronger than the others... because I didn't let him sit and drown??? Who knows, its all speculation at this point, and I'm not going to count him in until he's several months old, its only been a few days.

The parents are Captain and Ragu from my red harlequin project. I don't have good photos of either parent, otherwise I'd post photos.

Thanks

Nice reply. Keep us posted about your amazing gecko!

Thanks

thanks for posting the pix! i know ive been waitin for these!
    i ll keep my fingers crossed for that little guy.

that pic remind anyone else but me of anything? ;D

also, shouldn't they have TWO names?

question, that tiny flap of crest inbetween them, is there a hole there? do you have a pic from underneath??
    J.R.

5.11.!.! crested gex
    0.1 pacman frogs
    1.0 chahoua
    0.0.1 milk frog