Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Doctoring" photos

Thanks

with my kodak, pictures uploaded on the computer appear darker than they did on my LCD display screen. when i hit the "enhance" button, it automatically changes 3 settings on the photo - contrast, shadow and highlight - to what it thinks will look best. you can also manually adjust these 3 settings. i do not believe this changes the actual colors or representation of the photo subject, just makes it clearer. you know what your gecko looks like in real life so keep it within reason and observe some boundaries, but the less you have to mess with in the software the better. problems come with using filters that actually change the colors in the photo.

Thanks

Would this work for gecko photography? Please bear with me--I'm clueless...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PHOTO-STUDIO...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crested Lady View Post
    I have no problem with doctoring a photo if it is going to be used artistically or in fun (ie.- turing your crested into a 70's-style poster, adding a cape to a "Batman" crestie, or something funkified like that).

HOWEVER, playing with photos of stock that is for sale, your breeders (trying to look like you have something you don't), or photos that are used for informational purposes (unless it is used to highlight a specific trait [ie- circle the pores on a male for information on sexing]) is a HUGE no-no in my book.
    I'd have to agree with her.
    If at all possible, take some images outside. I don't "doctor" any of my photos and with natural light there is no need to. I have used many different types of lights and setups and have found nothing better then taking my geckos outside on a nice day and getting some photos of them. The only editing I do to images is "cropping" just so they are a post-able size and don't have alot of excess background image. It seems to work well.

EDIT: I also edit them in the sense that I add species and animals name. Just wanted to clear that up before something came about of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NOHR669.com Protect your rights! Don't let the bill pass!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PuffDragon View Post
    A big name breeder recently fell into some troubles on Fauna Classifieds because of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonriseGeckos View Post
    I also saw the thread on BOI and it got me thinking.
    could someone please PM me the link?

(thanks moonrise)
    Last edited by warnersister_2000; 05-15-2008 at 11:25 PM. Reason: request fulfilled

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MoonriseGeckos View Post
    Would this work for gecko photography? Please bear with me--I'm clueless...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PHOTO-STUDIO...QQcmdZViewItem
    It should work. I'm not sure how well the lamps will do, doesnt look like enough light.

this is the one I bought. I use heat lamps with regular bulbs. One on top and the other shining right inside the opening
    http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Photo-Photogr...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks

Thanks...that helps a lot.

Thanks

There are a few basic things that I will adjust on pictures that I would argue makes for a MORE accurate picture. I agree that when you start selecting sections or touching the hue/saturation at all, that is a major no no. But I do the following things for all my pics.

There are so many issues that works against a digital photographer when it comes to accuracy. Like if you take the pictures in RGB as opposed to sRGB and you try to upload them, then you will loose all the saturation in your reds. Making the photo inaccurate. However, converting it to a sRGB color space is "manipulation" to purists.

Light comes in waves, and if you use a shutter speed that is too fast, you will have pictures that are perfect except for the color of the light. this is EVEN if you do a manual white balance. So, it would be something that you would need to correct.

This is EXACTLY what this snake looks like.

Thanks

From what I get MoonRise is simply trying to improve the representation of his animal to fit his actually animal. The guy on fauna was simpling/OBVIOUSLY making his animals look way off their color. I see no problem messing with the contrast or small things of that nature, as long as true to natural color.

Thanks

adjusting the brightness is perfectly fine, the colors/patterns wont change on the gecko so you wont have anything to worry about, all my pictures have been brightened up